Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2014, 10:18   #61
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Did the Guide (in case you hired one) tell you this? - "see the beauty of Belur from Inside and that of Halebedu from outside".
Nope, he didn't. We hired the guide at Halebidu, and he mentioned the only major difference between the Belur Chennakeshwara temple and Halebidu Hoysaleshware temple is that the former is a Vishnu temple and the latter a Shiv temple, and something about the geometry (Halebidu one being polygonal).
Old 29th June 2014, 16:09   #62
BHPian

Iam planning on a trip to Chikmagalur this weekend or next (July 5th/12th) from Bangalore. I would like to take the Bangalore - Sakleshpur -(not via Belur)- Mudigere - Chikmagalur route.

Has anyone done this route recently? How are the road conditions? Is this doable in a Swift? Please advise
Old 29th June 2014, 16:12   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipaul View Post
Has anyone done this route recently? How are the road conditions? Is this doable in a Swift? Please advise

Thats round about route. Any reasons for taking it? Just to enjoy the route?
Because Sakleshpur-Mudigere is not all that great. And Mudigere-Chikkamagulur is some what narrow.
Old 29th June 2014, 16:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats round about route. Any reasons for taking it? Just to enjoy the route?
Because Sakleshpur-Mudigere is not all that great. And Mudigere-Chikkamagulur is some what narrow.
ampere, I would like to explore the section and also enjoy the scenic drive . I have already done the usual B'lore - Shravanabelagola - Halebeedu - Belur - C'magalur route once. But I am not sure about the road conditions of this route and if my Swift would be able to handle it.
Old 29th June 2014, 18:13   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ampere, I would like to explore the section and also enjoy the scenic drive . I have already done the usual B'lore - Shravanabelagola - Halebeedu - Belur - C'magalur route once. But I am not sure about the road conditions of this route and if my Swift would be able to handle it.
A swift should definitely be able to do this but road condition of sakleshpura-mudigere section may not be so great. Also unless you are visiting manajarabad fort or some other place nearby Sakleshpura you don't gain much in terms of scenic vistas etc compared to hassan-belur route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 19:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iam planning on a trip to Chikmagalur this weekend or next (July 5th/12th) from Bangalore. I would like to take the Bangalore - Sakleshpur -(not via Belur)- Mudigere - Chikmagalur route.

If you're looking for a scenic route, take Blore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Birur - Tarikere - Chikmagalur route. Fantastic roads and ghat roads all the way 10 KMs after Tarikere till Chikmagalur. Perfect roads with no potholes as well. Traversed this route a week back.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 12:43   #67
BHPian

This weekend I am traveling to Chikamagalur with family to enjoy the monsoon . Would be staying in Thotadahalli homestay near Kaimara.

Which is the best scenic route to reach there?! I have done BLR-Tumkur-Arsikere-Birur route multiple times. Need some alternate route suggestions, main considerations are scenic and good roads all the way.
Old 18th July 2014, 13:46   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
This weekend I am traveling to Chikamagalur with family to enjoy the monsoon . Would be staying in Thotadahalli homestay near Kaimara.

Which is the best scenic route to reach there?! I have done BLR-Tumkur-Arsikere-Birur route multiple times. Need some alternate route suggestions, main considerations are scenic and good roads all the way.
Well, if you have already taken Tumkur route, the other suggestion (May not be as scenic) is the most preferred route via Nelemangala-Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Kaimara. 4 Lane all the way till Hassan and 2 lane from here onwards.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 15:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you have already taken Tumkur route, the other suggestion (May not be as scenic) is the most preferred route via Nelemangala-Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Kaimara. 4 Lane all the way till Hassan and 2 lane from here onwards.
Thanks for the revert. You mean to say Tumkur route is the most scenic routes of all?! Even though previously I have done many drives via Tumkur, have never actually visited Chikmagalur and my journey ends at Birur.

So please pardon my knowledge.

Also if I take Tumkur route for Chikmagalur, whether I should take the left at Banavara or Kadur?
Old 18th July 2014, 16:18   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the revert. You mean to say Tumkur route is the most scenic routes of all?!
If you compare both then I would say the Tumkur-Kadur is more scenic along with the fact that it still is the Old school 2 lane road.
Quote:
Even though previously I have done many drives via Tumkur, have never actually visited Chikmagalur and my journey ends at Birur.

So please pardon my knowledge.

Also if I take Tumkur route for Chikmagalur, whether I should take the left at Banavara or Kadur?
You have 2 options here. You can turn left Kadur itself towards Chikmagalur or Turn left before Kadur and reach Sakharayapatna via Devanoor and join the same Kadur Chikmagalur road as earlier.

Of course, if your destination is Kaimara, keep driving till Tarikere and then reach Kaimara directly via Lignadahalli. That's a very scenic route.

So, if you ask me to choose between the 2 in terms of scenery (and now thanks to recent spell of rains), I would pick the Tumkur-Kadur-Tarikere-Lingadahalli-Kaimara route. I will avoid Chikmagalur town altogether and approach Chikmagalur from Kaimara side only.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 17:11   #71
BHPian

Quote:
So, if you ask me to choose between the 2 in terms of scenery (and now thanks to recent spell of rains), I would pick the Tumkur-Kadur-Tarikere-Lingadahalli-Kaimara route. I will avoid Chikmagalur town altogether and approach Chikmagalur from Kaimara side only.
Really appreciate your inputs .
Will try the above route, even though it will increase the total distance by almost ~50 Kms, hope its worth it .
Old 18th July 2014, 17:19   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really appreciate your inputs .
Will try the above route, even though it will increase the total distance by almost ~50 Kms, hope its worth it .
Thats the standard route to Chikkamagulur. 2.5 hours to Hassan, half an hour to Belur and another half to Chiamagulur. You should be there in 5 hours max.
Old 18th August 2014, 11:39   #73
BHPian

Guys
Am going to stay in Serai, Chickmanglore and i was thinking about taking the Arisikere route till Kadur and from there go down to chickmagalur and then onto Serai since this route is most talked about route. How is the road from Kadur to The Serai ? Any thoughts or should i do Hasan, Belur and enter The Serai ?
Old 18th August 2014, 15:13   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
How is the road from Kadur to The Serai ?
Kadur-Chikmagalur remains in good condition as it was relaid (Over the old concrete surface 2 years before) and can be done in 30 minutes.
However, do keep in mind that the Kadur approach for Serai is not only longer but time consuming as well for the following reasons:
  • Distance wise its longer
  • Single carriageway road right after Tumkur all the way till Destination
  • Lot of small towns and villages to cross which adds to the overall time
  • Serai is situated on Mudigere road and to approach this by the Kadur road, you will have to either cross the entire town of Chikmagalur or take teh Chikmagalure bypass that ends at Belur road, Reach Chikmagalur from Belur road side, pass the Police Grounds and reach Mudigere road
Quote:
Any thoughts or should i do Hasan, Belur and enter The Serai ?
Simply, this is faster than the previous option. Dual carriageway till Hassan & excellent progress from Belur all the way to Chikmagalur and finally, without traversing much inside Chikmagalur town, you can reach Mudigere road faster via Belur road entry into Chikmagalur.

Once you are on Mudigere Road near KSRTC Bus Depot, its a matter of 10 minutes (max) to reach Serai which is situated on the left hand side soon after you pass a Convention center on your right hand side.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:36   #75

Driving to Chikmagalur early morning 0630 on Sat morn from Jalahalli Tumkur Rd, and returning Mon noon. How is the road? Good places to hv B'fast and Lunch. And stop over for any sightseeing.

Most Viewed