Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 19:15   #271
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Thanks @dailydriver and @deehunk. We got back last night and it was a fantastic trip. The roads are great and fastag worked at every toll gate.
thejaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 09:36   #272
Senior - BHPian

Minor Update

Beginning today and extending till the weekend, Chikkamagaluru town will be swarming with cops. A major religious celebration is happening in Bababudangiri and therefore strict arrangements have been put in place for maintenance of law and order. Entry of tourists to the giris is being regulated.

Specifically on the 22/12/2018, parking has been banned on all the major roads in the town and entry towards the hills blocked for non-piligrims. Though no formal restrictions have been placed on hotels and home stays from entertaining guests, it would be better to reconfirm your bookings by calling the hosts.

Checkposts have been erected at all entry points; be sure to carry an additional ID card apart from the staple documents. Also, temperatures have nosedived in the last 3-4 days: do pack some warm clothes.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:42   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the road from CKM to Kadur? Planning to drive to Hirenallur today
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:14   #274
BHPian

Completed a Dharmasthala , Udupi , Kollur and Sigandur round trip last week. Started Bengaluru @ 12:00 Noon. It was a quick temple visit tour.

19 Dec - Day 1- Started by 12:00 Noon Bengaluru --> Hassan --> Sakleshpur --> Dharmasthala Except for a patchy stretch after sakleshpur the roads were good. Also as mentioned by other members the Shiradi Ghat was a breeze. total time taken 6 Hours including a lunch and tea break. Stayed at Vyshali guest house in Dharmasthala.

20 Dec - Day 2 - started by 8:00 AM --> Dharmasthala --> Uijre -->kortigehara (Via Charmadi) --> Kalasa --> Hornadu --> Sringeri --> Udupi.

Loved the drive my first drive via these ghats. Roads were mostly good and derivable except for some stretches before Kortigehara. Nothing can beat mother nature and Charmadi is a must drive. For a person living in concrete jungle this was a feast. Reached Kalasa in 2 hours and finished a quick Darshan of Kalaseshwara and Hornadu which is 9KM away from Kalasa. Hornadu to Sringeri was a 3 hour sedate drive lonely but good roads. Sringeri to Udupi was again thrilling, Narrow roads of Agumbe and enjoyed the sunset point. Short break at Sitanadi food court at Hebri and covered Sringeri to udupi in 90 Mins. Stayed at OYO Century executive near Udupi temple. Decent accommodation and courteous staff.

21 Dec - Day 3 - Started at 8:00 AM -- Udupi --> Kollur --> Sigandur --> Shivamogga --> Arasikere --> Tiptur --> Tumkur -- > Bengaluru

Udupi to Kllor was a normal drive via NH and spent 30 Mins at Kollur temple and drive to Sigandur was through Mookambika wildlife sanctuary. First 20 odd KM was ghat roads. No mobile works in this stretch and sign boards were not visible clearly and even Google maps confuses you. Very lonely road and hardly found vehichles in this stretch. But roads were good. Just follow the signboard indicating Jog falls and the last 20 KM you will find Sigandur sign boards clearly. Visted the temple and had lunch at the temple as no hotels in the place. Took the launch to cross the river and hit the road to Bengaluru.
vinukm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 12:13   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
How is the road from CKM to Kadur? Planning to drive to Hirenallur today
The usual one via Sakkharayapanta remains good till here and patchy after that.

Talk about asphalting over a concrete road, this is what happens. The top layer keeps peeling off.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 19:12   #276
BHPian

Hey All,

Here is a short vlog for everyone who is just interested to understand the traffic behaviour on narrow beautiful roads of Chikmagalur during weekends.
Usually, on weekends, these roads get choked up due to the flock of tourists travelling towards Chikmagalur from all around (mostly from Bengaluru). Irresponsible attitude of some of these drivers and lack of road sense make the matter worse.
The intention here is not to spread negativity. If it helps in creating travel awareness, I consider it as the success.
Please note clips in this vlogs were shot during Aug 2018.

ThilakNex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:39   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
There have been preparations among the local youth for some sort of voting vigilantism. They plan to station themselves near the town entrances and popular eateries to check whether the incoming out of towners have shirked their democratic duty and come holidaying! Although it is not a legally tenable exercise, having seen them do much more/worse, I can imagine the trouble they might end up causing.
It did happen, finally.

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20190422_1030321013x1472.jpg

Again, while I do not endorse the manner/method followed, can't really say the same of the motive.

Source: Kannada Prabha, The News Minute, Inshorts.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:04   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It did happen, finally.
Where was this? My folks told me this was at Magadi Handpost between Belur and Chikkamagaluru?

While I too do not endorse this act where no one has the right to question a commoner about reasons not to cast their vote, the poor turn out in Bengaluru itself reflects the sad state of affairs when it comes to seriousness in exercising your right to vote.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:06   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Where was this? My folks told me this was at Magadi Handpost between Belur and Chikkamagaluru?
It was indeed at the Magadi hand post.

Ironically, a lot many folks came into the city unquestioned and unscathed on the 17th of April. The group which was involved in the act was actually different from the one that had earlier issued the threat. It struck me as odd to see a bunch of highly educated and socially influential citizens get involved in what many locals called an 'uncivilized welcome' to the coffee land.

Nevertheless, this was an episode that the 'honoured' tourists wouldn't forget in a hurry.

As regards the low voter turnout in Bengaluru, there's more to it than that actually meets the eye. But that's a discussion that will have to be reserved for another day and thread!
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 00:48   #280
BHPian

We are planning a roadtrip from Bangalore-Chikkmagaluru on 5th May and thinking of the following route with 2 kids (4 years and 12 years ) and 4 adults:

Bangalore-Kunigal-Haasan-Halebeedu-Chikkmagaluru

5-7th May : Stay at Chikkmagaluru

What are the best home stays in Chikkmagalur with good food ?
What are the best places to visit in and around Chikkmagalur ? We have three days of free time to roam around.

8-9th May : Travel to Sakleshpur (If there any other good place which we can visit after Chikkmagaluru, please suggest).

10th May: Return to Bangalore

What are the best home stays in Sakleshpur with good food ?
What are the best places to visit in and around Sakleshpur ? We have 2 days of free time to roam around.

Thanks,
Prabhu
Old 15th May 2019, 13:15   #281
BHPian

Visited Chikmagalur over the weekend. Here is a mini travelogue. Started from HRBR Layout on 11th May at 6.30am and reached the home stay near kaimara by 12.30 pm. Traffic was heavy all the way and first 3 toll booths took more than 10 minutes to cross. (with fastag). Saw mile long cars parked on both sides of the road near swati delicacy, skipped the place and stopped at dhruvatare for breakfast.

Visited Hirekolale lake in the evening. Though we discussed the route to the lake with home stay owner, we took the wrong route due to misunderstanding. Part of the road (road section in the red ovel shape) was in bad shape. Hair-pin bends are very steep and there were loose stones. Luckily we were going down hill and hence we manged to cover the section without much trouble. After visiting the lake, we returned through the chikmagalur town-kaimara route to the home stay. Later we discussed our adventure with the home stay owner and showed him the route we took and he confirmed that that was not the route he suggested. The road he suggested is still not on the google maps. I have marked that road in black colour. This road connects the kaimara-attigundi road and the chikmagalur town-hirekolale lake road. People going to attigundi/mullayana giri from Hirekolale lake (or vice versa) can take this route instead of going all the way to chikmagalur town.

On 12th May (sunday) morning we visited the mullayana giri peak. We started from the homestay at 6.30 and parked our car at sitalayanagiri temple and trekked from there to mullayana giri. Road widening work is going on from the Kaimara-attigundi road junction to sitalayangiri temple. When we returned around 10 am, we saw the vehicles were not allowed to go uphill from the kaimara-attigund road junction to mullayanagiri.

On 13 May we visited the Jhari falls which is located in a private estate. We have to take the jeep ride (they have some arrangement with the estate owner) to the falls. The offroad track to the falls is in bad shape and saw the driver engaging the 4x4 at some places. Wouldn't advise this ride if you have elderly people in the group. The Kaimara-Attigundi road is in good condition.

We left our homestay at 2.30 pm and returned to HRBR Layout by 8.10 pm with lunch(45 mins) and tea (20mins) break. Being Monday, traffic was thin and the fastag lanes were free.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-hirekolale.png  

Landkruzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 18:51   #282
BHPian

Hi Experienced folks,

I am from delhi and don't have any experience driving on hilly road. I am planning to do a self drive from Banglore to Chikmangluru to Coorg and then back to Banglore on week of 14th July.
I will be staying in Chikmanglur for 2 nights and 2 nights in Coorg. Kindly help me in deciding the best possible routes and what I could be doing.
Ps: I will be travelling with by 5 month old.
Old 9th August 2019, 11:25   #283
Senior - BHPian

Folks planning on driving to/through Chikkamagaluru would do well to postpone their trip for a while. It has been raining hard for the last couple of days; many roads are either blocked or damaged.

The district administration too has issued an official advisory requesting tourists to refrain from travelling to the hills for a few more days.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-screenshot_20190809112328777_com.whatsapp1069x1379.png  

dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 11:53   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks planning on driving to/through Chikkamagaluru would do well to postpone their trip for a while.
The advise would be apt for those wanting to drive around Chikkamagaluru and not those who have to stay put in the town itself.

As far as roads leading to Chikkamagluru via Hassan - Belur is concerned, it is business as usual.

No wonder the notice you posted is primarily warning those wanting to venture into famous tourist spots like Mullayanagiri, Bababudangiri and the likes. I would take this advise directly hinting towards weekenders from Bengaluru to stay at home. In a way, this will also bring some peace to the otherwise busy weekends in Chikkamagluru.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 12:50   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The advise would be apt for those wanting to drive around Chikkamagaluru and not those who have to stay put in the town itself.

As far as roads leading to Chikkamagluru via Hassan - Belur is concerned, it is business as usual
One can say that, but though the road from Belur to Chikkamagaluru is alright, driving through heavy rain isn't. I had to traverse this stretch thrice last Wednesday and I must admit that I was feeling as if it was one of those rare drives that I will not forget in a hurry. Headlights, AC and Wipers working in tandem continuously, visibility reduced to a couple of meters, the real fear of aquaplaning, the doubled effort for seeing others and to be clearly, timely being seen by them: I would stay home if I could!

Apart from the giris, which obviously are the main points of interests for tourists and hence find mention in the advisory, roads have been cut off/flooded/damaged in Charmadi, Koppa, Balehonnur, Sringeri and wonder of wonders, in Tarikere too. This apart, the Kadur road widening work has caused quite a few accidents, all of them non-fatal, but dangerously close! Rain falling on freshly laid mud has made the surface slick and slippery, near to Saraswatipura. A colleague who was driving the Ecosport we were travelling in, last Monday, had a harrowing time crossing the stretch with minimal use of brakes. Two days later, a little away from the spot, towards Kadur, a KSRTC bus lost grip and fell off into the trenches!

The dry taluks of Tarikere and Kadur have also been witnessing heavy downpours this week, not to speak of the Malnad areas. So, in essence, in the interests of personal safety, it is better not to venture into the district this weekend. Of course, nature is no one's handmaiden and can change course in a day, leaving the likes of me egg faced .

We have been off work for the last three days, with holidays being declared for all educational institutions, by the district administration itself. Colleagues who have stayed back in town report that it has been pouring non stop for a while now. The amount of rainfall, as measured yesterday, is as follows (Source: Kannada Prabha).

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20190809_125416.jpg

Quote:
This year has been even more difficult. But what has changed the game today is not these rains but the drivers around us and the sheer number of vehicles on wet roads which wasn't the case a decade before. This makes it extremely difficult to drive these days
This might be a bit off topic, but nevertheless. I have seen that many youngsters come driving freshly bought (plate-less) cars or ones on hire from Self Drive agencies. Most of them are either inexperienced or plain 'I don't care' type of dare devils. They put not just themselves in danger but others on the road too.

With the current driving conditions requiring us to calculate to precision, the amount of force needed to be applied for even a simple braking, driving is certainly a hassle; or a sadhana .

All in all, I couldn't but agree in toto with your words:

Quote:
for tourists, it makes no sense to be there on this weekend because they can't do anything anyway, while in the town

Last edited by dailydriver : 9th August 2019 at 13:14.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed