Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Shimoga Query/ Road Conditions

A friend is planning to drive down to Shimoga from Hyderabad this weekend. From a little bit of reading, I guess he has a few route options:

1. Via Gooty-Bellary
2. Via Raichur- Hospet-Davangere

Now I have the following queries:

1. Any other route options?
2. What are the distances/ travel time for each of the routes?
3. Road condition

Travel time is important since he is travelling with his dad and can not drive non-stop for very long. Help
Old 29th July 2009, 13:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Distance chart:

Hyderabad-Kurnool 215 kms-Gooty 100-Guntakal 30-Bellary 55-Tornagallu 30-Sandur 20-Harpanahalli 45-Harihar 45-Simoga 80

totalling 620 kms, which is a full day's drive.
You can expect terrible roads between Guntakal and Bellary, roads may be bad around Sandur too.

I have not driven via Raichur to Hospet, but am told that the road via Raichur till Hospet is good, after which you can take NH13 till Harpanahalli and go to Harihar.

Facilities are poor.
Old 30th July 2009, 09:38   #3
BHPian

Thanks hvkumar. 620 Kms......hmmm, might be too much at one stretch, I guess.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:58   #4
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Shimoga Query/ Road Conditions

Bump!!!

Any idea on the latest road conditions between Hyderabad to Shimoga. May need to travel during June.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th April 2014, 17:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Bump!!!

Any idea on the latest road conditions between Hyderabad to Shimoga. May need to travel during June.

Thanks in advance.
- Hyd-Goothy : 4-lane
- Goothy - Guntakal - Bellary : Reasonably OK. It used to be worse but it has improved quite a lot after the mining activities stopped.
Ref : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2727734

(Post is dated 2012).

- Bellary - Chalkere : Decent SH roads. Humps around villages.
- Chalkere-Chitradurga : No idea
- Chitradurga - Shimoga : Decent NH13.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:33   #6
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Sringeri to Hyderabad next month and any update on the latest road conditions will be highly appreciated. As I see from Google Maps, there are three routes. The shortest seems to be via Gangavathi and Raichur. Another route is via Bellary and Gooty. The best road seems to be via Tumkur, Dodballapur and then NH44, but this route is almost 160 kms longer. I would prefer to do this drive over two days, so any suggestions on where to stop for the night would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
I am planning to drive from Sringeri to Hyderabad next month and any update on the latest road conditions will be highly appreciated. As I see from Google Maps, there are three routes. The shortest seems to be via Gangavathi and Raichur. Another route is via Bellary and Gooty.
I think best would be:

Sringeri-Koppa-NR Pura - Bhadra - Channagiri - Chitradurga - Hospet - Gangavathi - Raichur - Mehboobnagar - Hyderabad.

What I would suggest is instead of driving in one day, start easy on day one and break at Hospet. You find decent hotels in there too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
I am planning to drive from Sringeri to Hyderabad next month and any update on the latest road conditions will be highly appreciated. As I see from Google Maps, there are three routes. The shortest seems to be via Gangavathi and Raichur. Another route is via Bellary and Gooty. The best road seems to be via Tumkur, Dodballapur and then NH44, but this route is almost 160 kms longer. I would prefer to do this drive over two days, so any suggestions on where to stop for the night would be welcome. Thanks!
For good roads,my recco would be to take the route via Bangalore.Day 1 you could either stay at Tumkur or at Bangalore and day 2 to Hyderabad.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 21:21   #9
BHPian

Bumping this thread again. Planning to travel to Kollur Mookambika temple from Hyderabad with an overnight stop at Shivamogga. Traveling in my EV so want to travel in NH 44 as much as possible due to better charging stations available in highways. This is the route I am considering.

Quote:
Hyderabad - Anantapur - Kalyanadurg - Challakere - Chitradurga - Shivamogga
From Google, Kalyanadurg - Challakere seems to be a narrow road. I am also seeing two routes Kalyanadurg - Setturu - Challakere which seems to be a minor road with a distance 68 km and Kalyanadurg - Garudapuram - Gowripura - Challakere which is mostly state hwys & NH 48 with a distance of 84 km. Any inputs on the latest conditions of this route will be helpful.
Old 4th April 2023, 21:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Considering the weather conditions, overnight stay, eV charging points and check posts due to elections, I would suggest you to drive via Tumkur - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Kollur. The overnight stay can be planned at Hassan. This route has good number of charging stations. The route may be longer by a few hours but less stressful for such a long drive from Hyderabad.

Last edited by deehunk : 4th April 2023 at 22:16.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 17:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I would suggest you to drive via Tumkur - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Kollur. The overnight stay can be planned at Hassan. This route has good number of charging stations. The route may be longer by a few hours but less stressful for such a long drive from Hyderabad.
Thanks for this suggestion.

This route definitely has lot more charging stations. But will increase the travel time by more than 3 hours.

Another big red flag is that after Hassan till Kollur (~250+ km) there are no charging stations. So I will not be able to make it and back in one full charge. I planned to halt at Shimoga since it was just 130 km from Kollur.

Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old 6th April 2023, 21:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
Bumping this thread again. Planning to travel to Kollur Mookambika temple from Hyderabad with an overnight stop at Shivamogga. Traveling in my EV so want to travel in NH 44 as much as possible due to better charging stations available in highways. Any inputs on the latest conditions of this route will be helpful.
I had travelled to Sringeri from Hyderabad a month ago.
After all the route combination finally went through Devanahalli Nelamangala Hassan Chikkamangaluru Sringeri.
A little longer route but good Road conditions.
Old 6th April 2023, 22:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
After all the route combination finally went through Devanahalli Nelamangala Hassan Chikkamangaluru Sringeri.
A little longer route but good Road conditions.
Did you take Devanahalli Doddaballapura Nelamangala route to high the Bangalore Mangalore NH? If so, the route condition between Doddaballapura to Nelamangala has consistently remained bad since more than a year, especially the 4km stretch from Golahalli Railway Underpass all the way to Nelamangala town.
Old 7th April 2023, 11:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Did you take Devanahalli Doddaballapura Nelamangala route to high the Bangalore Mangalore NH? If so, the route condition between Doddaballapura to Nelamangala has consistently remained bad since more than a year, especially the 4km stretch from Golahalli Railway Underpass all the way to Nelamangala town.
Yes I took the same route .Four laning work is going on. As I drove in the night I could manage this stretch without much traffic. Day time would be cumbersome to drive this stretch maybe
Old 7th April 2023, 19:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Yes I took the same route .Four laning work is going on. As I drove in the night I could manage this stretch without much traffic. Day time would be cumbersome to drive this stretch maybe
Yes, the road is not recommended for day time at all. This is my regular route even if it is that bad because I reach Nelamangala from my home in under 45 minutes any time of the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks