Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 21:19   #16
BHPian

I usually take a BBQ and coals. Also light a fire and can use that for direct bbqing or cooking. Though you need to be careful about dry patches etc.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:28   #17
Team-BHP Support

Do you mean something like this
Cooking in the wilderness, what kind of stove?-clipboard01.jpg

indiaplaza.in : Portable-Foldable Stove Buy Portable-Foldable Stove : Portable-Foldable Stove online

Did not work, when I tried to make Maggi
Old 30th July 2009, 09:51   #18
BHPian

You get small stoves fueled by camphor tablets like the one bblost has posted above. One of these I had was small enough to be carried around in the cramster on the bike. I now have a larger one that I use while travelling for camping trips in the car.

The smaller camphor tablets come in individual sealed packets and look something like the perfumed mothballs we get for the wardrobe. They cost just around 4 Rupees each and last for enough time to cook 2 packs maggi and boil enough water for tea for 2.

Another solution, infinitely better IMO is to buy an electric kettle which plugs into the cig lighter socket of your bike/car. You can boil water as well as warm up those MTR ready to eat meals. Much more envrionment friendly and no risk of fire.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:11   #19
BHPian

The most prefered stove used by truckers in India. They use diesel as the fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Cooking in the wilderness, what kind of stove?-stove.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 10:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Camphor cooking is too slow. I think I will try out the truckers stove.
Since it runs on diesel too, its a double benefit
Old 30th July 2009, 10:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Camphor cooking is too slow. I think I will try out the truckers stove.
Since it runs on diesel too, its a double benefit
This stove has the capacity to fume your eyeballs out.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:39   #22
BHPian

Hmm camping means steaks and barbeque and lots of coal to cook with. Thats the way i would like to have my camping trip. While at ooty,we used to fish carps in 7th mile lake and clean them up there and rub in some basic chilly powder and salt mix and roast them with twigs available at the pine/eucalyptus forest near by. we also used to take pre-marinated chicken to be roasted over the fire.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Hmm camping means steaks and barbeque and lots of coal to cook with. Thats the way i would like to have my camping trip. While at ooty,we used to fish carps in 7th mile lake and clean them up there and rub in some basic chilly powder and salt mix and roast them with twigs available at the pine/eucalyptus forest near by. we also used to take pre-marinated chicken to be roasted over the fire.
I can imagine. Sridhar, the tradition is very much alive still, however it is now at the Kateri dam.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

The best bet would be good quality

1. Single burner gas stove. You can find lots of ISI marked in stores.

2. 5 KG cylinder from PSU. Indian Oil provides that. As of now there no danger taking this cylinder inside car. For extra safety just weight cylinder and subtract the cylinder weight printed on cylinder so that you can confirm it has adequate gas (within limit) inside it.

For more safety if you think, arrange a place outside your car to put this cylinder. Something like 5th tire hang on the rear door or put this cylinder above roof (adequately cushioned and properly tight).

3. Also ISI marked regulator. Not one which small time shops sells for 100Rs or so.

Otherwise:

Pressure stove with Kerosene is safe bet (I am not sure how safe is using Petrol and Diesel as Fuel. Please avoid). Kerosene you can always find but you need to do search near small basti, slum, villages at a premium rate of 30 - 40 Rs per litre. Better if you can ask you household maid, servants to arrange Kerosene. Also you always need to ensure all caps, valves of stove should be tight before keeping inside car.

Last edited by anujmishra : 30th July 2009 at 11:03.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I am on a 21 day trip. I am not going to lug coal and barbeque stuff. All I will carry is one stove, and some rashans like Pulses etc., and Pressure cooker(high altitude cooking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
The best bet would be good quality

1. Single burner gas stove. You can find lots of ISI marked in stores.

2. 5 KG cylinder from PSU. Indian Oil provides that. As of now there no danger taking this cylinder inside car. For extra safety just weight cylinder and subtract the cylinder weight printed on cylinder so that you can confirm it has adequate gas (within limit) inside it.

For more safety if you think, arrange a place outside your car to put this cylinder. Something like 5th tire hang on the rear door or put this cylinder above roof (adequately cushioned and properly tight).

3. Also ISI marked regulator. Not one which small time shops sells for 100Rs or so.

Otherwise:

Pressure stove with Kerosene is safe bet (I am not sure how safe is using Petrol and Diesel as Fuel. Please avoid). Kerosene you can always find but you need to do search near small basti, slum, villages at a premium rate of 30 - 40 Rs per litre. Better if you can ask you household maid, servants to arrange Kerosene. Also you always need to ensure all caps, valves of stove should be tight before keeping inside car.
Actually I am gravitating towards single burner integrated ISI mark gas cylinder. But I visited a few shops, and none of the stuff they had was ISI mark,
Old 30th July 2009, 11:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Try the defense service canteens, I recollect having seen some burners there. Should be with ISI mark.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
but I am worried about carrying pressurized gas over tough terrains. Lots of potential to go "boom".
This is wrong assumption. If you really think about it, the petrol/diesel tank of your car is a much bigger "potential" fire hazard.

In these small portable cylinders the one-way valve keeps the gas inside and the metal sheet is quite thick and heavy. No chance of a sudden leakage.

The burner on top in such cylinders is removable - they aren't integrated. They go in like screws. Take the burner off when you are travelling. Then the cylinder is quite safe.

I have travelled with them every where and it stays in the boot.

Please avoid using naked fire in the wild, as suggested by some members here. It's dangerous to wildlife. You might cause a forest fire.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 30th July 2009 at 11:29.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I can imagine. Sridhar, the tradition is very much alive still, however it is now at the Kateri dam.
kateri dam, but I suppose most civilians are not allowed inside the premises of the dam and its guarded by the DSSC chaps. I ofcourse had full access since my dad used to be incharge of the damn around 10-12 years ago. Ofcourse the upper katery damn is accessible to general public and the lower katery dam you can still have access but from the other side where the pump house is situated, or from the road running along the dam. Have you been on top of the guard station of service building at the enterance of the dam. Boy the scenery from above is just simply amazing. I used to be put up at the old british cordite bungalow down the road. We used to catch fish at the dam and rush down to our house and put them in the small fountain pond . But most of them dont survive cause the hooks do a lot of damage to the fishes . And fishing from the boat was just something altogether. But the bigger ones were always caught standing by the banks. The size of the fishes has reduced now maybe because of the pollution or too much of fishing but 10 to 12 years back we used to catch 2-3 kg fishes easily, but when i went last year i could manage only very small ones nothing really big after a whole 2 days of fishing.

Last edited by Rotorhead : 30th July 2009 at 13:19.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:51   #29
Team-BHP Support

I guess I will take the cylinder with 4KG capacity and put in 2KG of gas. Best option with minimal fire hazard in a cold desert!
Old 30th July 2009, 13:56   #30
BHPian

Check this link PKL Ltd. - Products - LPG Cylinders & LPG based appliances

The Portable Gas Stove, Clix Plus Stove, 4 Kg. Cylinders might be of interest to you.

I had bought the Portable Gas Light around 10 years back (for Rs.1000/- if my memory serves right). These are usually available in the stainless steel houseware shops. You can exchange the empty cylinder at any of these shops. You can cook a regular meal instead of Maggi!

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks