Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:39   #1
BHPian

Delhi to Manali - and back

Hi,

Am planning to do a trip to Manali on my Swift next week (5th to 10th August 09). Will start from Delhi.

Can someone pls shed some light on road conditions and best route for making this journey. Following is my itinerary:

Day 0: Reach Ambala from Delhi, Overnite at Ambala
Day 1: Ambala to Kalka. Family takes toy train to Shimla while I drive (something like 'mere sapno ki rani kab aayegi tu...' )

Day 2: Start from Shimla post-lunch and head for Manali
Day 3 and 4: Stay at Manali. Planning to do Rohtang and Keylong
Day 5: Post lunch, head back for Delhi. Planning to stay somewhere in midway.
Day 6: Home sweet home!

Have some doubts, which I write below:

1) Any place to avoid while going Ambala to Kalka? I dont wanna get stuck in a traffic jam and miss the toy train
2) Between Shimla to Manali, how are the roads these days? Do I need to take any particular route to reach Manali in time, without putting my car to too many bad patches?
3) The most confusing part - I have heard there are a couple of choices for doing Manali to Delhi. Which one is the best route to take in terms of good road conditions in August, plus lesser time...? Also, Is Bilaspur a good idea to stay for a midway overnite halt??

Will really appreciate your responses...

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickzCar View Post
3) The most confusing part - I have heard there are a couple of choices for doing Manali to Delhi. Which one is the best route to take in terms of good road conditions in August, plus lesser time...? Also, Is Bilaspur a good idea to stay for a midway overnite halt??

Will really appreciate your responses...

Thanks
You can take shorter route (avoiding Chandigarh) via Kharar (between Rupnagar and Chandigarh on NH21) going via Banur directly to NH1 before Ambala. However, that road is reported to be in a bad condition tahnks to road widening/ bridge strengthening and trucks often clog it up near the Banur crossing.

Bilaspur has a lovely HPTDC Lake View resort on NH21 itself, immediately after crossing Bilaspur town en route Swarghat/Delhi. Further down the road, at Swarghat also HPTDC has another resort.
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

MaverickzCar,
I had visited between July 18 and 22. The route I had taken was Noida- Ambala- ( Kingfisher) _ banur- Kharar- Ropar- Bilaspur- Kullu- Manali.

At Kulu bridge you can take the Naggar road to Manali rather than the conventional route. This route is on the RHS of River Beas as you are proceeding towards Manali and has lesser traffic and is more picturesque.

In case the solitary guard is asleep/ indifferent you may also save on paying the pollution tax that is to be paid on entering Manali (Rs 200 for a car and 300 for a SUV/MUV).

I did the whole route without breaking journey ( except for food & toilet breaks) and it took me 11 hours 35 Min).

Rohtang is entirely avoidable as there is nothing to see at this time of the year. Moreover, the last 15 km stretch is in a real bad shape. I got stuck in a traffic jam and the 51 Km stretch from Manali to Rohtang which ususllt takes 2.5 hrs took 6 hours ( one way).

While in Manali you may like to Visit Manikaran ( good drive and hot water springs at the Gurudwara). Nagar Castle is also a good place to visit ( parts of Jab we met were shot here) .The Roerich Art gallery is also nearby ( monday closed). There is a new monastry 11k m from Naggar which iswoth visiting.

Naggar Castle is a HPTDC heritage hotel and you can stay here ( tremendous view of the river Beas) . In case you do not want to stay in Main Manali, you may try Whispering Rocks Resorts ( On Rohtang Road).

Please try the food at Johnson's Lodge in Manali. It is to die for. I believe you have provided too much time for travelling to Manali. You can save on the same and spend more time there.

In case you do not intend to visit any friends at Ambala, there is no need to stop here . It is just 3 Hours or 200 Km from Delhi. You can proceed all the way till Shimla

The roads are very good (except for a stretch between Banur and Kharar where road widening work is on) However, in case you go via Shimla you will skip this route.

It is a good idea to start early ( say 4.00 am) to avoid heavy traffic in the initial stages of the journey.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

so will there be any snow in Manali/Rohtang in Mid October ?

and idea anyone ? also can a 2WD car possibly a safari do rohtang easily or not ?
Old 19th August 2009, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
so will there be any snow in Manali/Rohtang in Mid October ?

and idea anyone ? also can a 2WD car possibly a safari do rohtang easily or not ?
No, Snow would set in much later . It would be towards November end /December
Old 19th August 2009, 22:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

It does snow in first/second week of October, but the snow melts soon and if you are lucky, you may see snow in Oct too.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
It does snow in first/second week of October, but the snow melts soon and if you are lucky, you may see snow in Oct too.
Purely agree with that. Better still, if third/ fourth week is chosen for the visit.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:25   #8

Hi,

I am planning a trip fom Gurgaon to Manali. I would depart from Gurgaon on 27th August, stop at Bilaspur/Swarghat/Mandi for the night and drive to Manali Next morning. I would stay in Manali till saturday night, depart on sunday morning to Chandigarh and to gurgaon from Chandigarh on Monday.

I have not driven much on the hills, other than Kasauli last month.

Could some one update me on the

1. Latest Driving/road conditions to Manali.
2. Must visit places in and around Manali.
3. Any places that should be avoided due to traffic jams/ poor road conditions.
4. PLaces to halt in between, and good places for eating out.

I would be the sole driver, driving my i20.

Thanks
Old 20th August 2009, 16:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

For your first night at Mandi you can stay at Visco Resorts Find more here. It's right on the highway and you don't have to get inside the town. I find Mandi town terribly congested otherwise.

Around Manali check out Naggar for castle and NICHOLAS ROERICH ART GALLERY. From Manali Naggar shouldn't be more than 20-21kms. In and around Manali see here.

Roads should be good at this time unless some serious rain happens. Manali should be pretty packed now. Make early morning trip to Rohtang to avoid crowd and traffic.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK,
Thats very encouraging, i will be there in Manali from 19th to 21/22th October.
And havnt been there before so hoping for the best.

Another question for you HVK, how much time shall i assume for Delhi to Manali leaving 00.00 Hrs from Delhi.

Last year i was able to reach dharamshala from Delhi in 10.5 hrs leaving at same time,i hope the distance is almost same.

And any idea about Hotel Honeymoon Inn folks ?
Old 20th August 2009, 17:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
how much time shall i assume for Delhi to Manali leaving 00.00 Hrs from Delhi.

Last year i was able to reach dharamshala from Delhi in 10.5 hrs leaving at same time,i hope the distance is almost same.

And any idea about Hotel Honeymoon Inn folks ?
570 kms, 12 hours from Manali to Delhi?
I have done it under 10.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
570 kms, 12 hours from Manali to Delhi?
I have done it under 10.
sir,

i think i will take 12 hrs then.

thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 23:45   #13

Delhi to Manali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
For your first night at Mandi you can stay at Visco Resorts Find more here. It's right on the highway and you don't have to get inside the town. I find Mandi town terribly congested otherwise.

Around Manali check out Naggar for castle and NICHOLAS ROERICH ART GALLERY. From Manali Naggar shouldn't be more than 20-21kms. In and around Manali see here.
Thanks Rudra, that was helpful.

I am a bit unclear on which route to take. I have been searching on the net and I am quite clear till Ambala. I have come across two routes, one is via Ropar, another is via Baddi. Could some one advise which is a better route.

Also, I have been told that ahead of Ambala, on the highway towards Ludhiana, there is a road on the right hand side, (before the next toll gate after Ambala) which leads to directly to Kharar and Ropar, directly bypassing Chandigarh. Has any one tried this route.

Which would be the best route of these three options. Could some one please advice. Appreciate your help on this one.
Old 25th August 2009, 02:29   #14
BHPian

I finally completely my trip, and being a thread starter, will like to share my experiences with you guys...

First of all, we revered our plans i.e. instead of Noida-Shimla-Manali we did Noida-Manali-Shimla-Noida, and which went really well. First night at Ambala. Reached at 11:30 night, stayed at a neat and clean Amrapali resort (right on the national highway, we didnt need to enter the city)

Next day morning, started at 9 sharp. Took the Banur-Kharar route, but it was a bad idea. The Banur-Kharar road was patchy at many places, plus it rained so made it a lil worse. But all in all not much of an ice breaker (Plus, i didnt know tht Zirakpur overbridge was functional, otherwise wud have surely taken the Chandigarh route). Kept strolling thru the hilly roads while making a brief stop at Bilaspur...didnt feel the need for lunch so we kept on moving, and finally at around 3:30 we reached sundarnagar with empy stomachs! Realizing we were running late for lunch, ate at a restaurant near the bus stand (forgettign the name), the food was okay and place was clean (a big thing once you are in hills

And finally at around 6, crossed Kullu to encounter a majestic, wonderful Beas river. Cudnt stop ourselves from taking a break, made a stopover at a roadside/riverside tea stall and had an evening tea sitting right beside the river. Some more pics and finally we were in Manali at around 7.30.

I guess am running late for sleeping, so maybe will complete my travelogue later on but before i leave, will like to make a few comments.

hvkumar,
Buddy, you were so right with the route. I couldnt somehow check T-BHP before leaving, else ur info wud hav been spot on.

Rajneesh,
ur post had a ton of info which i anyhow gained with experience (Another outfall of not checking this forum before leaving - we cudnt miss the solitary gaurd while entering Manali. lolz). But truly, ur points were so accurate. Naggar was amazing. We covered it while returning from Manali, but the place was *awesome*. Didn't go Rohtang as locals suggested its not worth going thru long jams and superpatchy roads. Missed Manikaran though, lack of time. And by chance, we did go for dinner at Johnson lodge, but the place was full of firangs and there was waiting. Had to leave .

Will try to complete my post / share experience sometime during the day till then take care, and God bless.

~S

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th August 2009 at 06:54.
Old 25th August 2009, 09:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a bit unclear on which route to take. I have been searching on the net and I am quite clear till Ambala. I have come across two routes, one is via Ropar, another is via Baddi. Could some one advise which is a better route.
Stick to the route via Ropar. Rains have caused damage to roads near Ropar but it is still better than the road via Baddi.

Quote:
Also, I have been told that ahead of Ambala, on the highway towards Ludhiana, there is a road on the right hand side, (before the next toll gate after Ambala) which leads to directly to Kharar and Ropar, directly bypassing Chandigarh. Has any one tried this route.
5 kms after crossing Ambala Railway Station (on NH1), you will come to another flyover where straight (on the flyover) goes to Amritsar, and right turns to Chandigarh. Keep going straight towards Amritsar on NH1 itself.

9 kms from this point, you will hit the toll gate (also the Punjab border). Don't cross the toll gate, you will find a small road to the RIGHT. Turn Right - this is the road to Banur. It is a narrow 2-lane road, not in god condition currently.

You will reach Banur in 18 kms - this is a crossroads, where right goes to Chandigarh, left goes to Rajpura/Patiala. Continue STRAIGHT. In 23 kms you will reach Kharar which is on NH21. At this junction, right goes back to Chandigarh and you turn left to go towards Ropar/Manali.

Summary of Route:
Ambala Railway Station Flyover-Chandigarh turning Flyover 5 kms-Toll Gate/Punjab Border/Turn Right 9 kms-Banur 18 kms-Kharar 23 kms-Ropar/Rupnagar 29 kms

Most Viewed