Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 10:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Trichy to Mayiladuthurai (via Kumbakonam) at night

Is this the route you are referring that goes via the right bank of Cauvery river?
Attached Thumbnails
Trichy to Mayiladuthurai (via Kumbakonam) at night-route.gif  

Old 1st March 2011, 11:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Thanks Ravi and Ampere. I hope you are referring to this route. When you say bad stretches how bad are they? Huge pot holes and craters? And roughly how long it took for you? 3 hrs?
I think what Ravi was even the Tanjore by-pass and hence did not take the 4-Lane either. (Ravi I hope I am right.)

What I mention is:
- NH67 till Tanjore
- NH45C till Kumbakonam from Tanjore

If you dont want to visit Tanjore then take what Ravi mentioned. SH22.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think what Ravi was even the Tanjore by-pass and hence did not take the 4-Lane either. (Ravi I hope I am right.)

What I mention is:
- NH67 till Tanjore
- NH45C till Kumbakonam from Tanjore

If you dont want to visit Tanjore then take what Ravi mentioned. SH22.
Yes. I dont have Tanjore on my agenda now So SH22 sounds good. Planning to start on Thursday morning from Bangalore. Halt in Trichy. Friday morning to V.Kovil. Saturday evening return to Trichy. Sunday back to Bangalore Thanks for all your inputs. Will update the road conditions after the trip.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Yes. I dont have Tanjore on my agenda now So SH22 sounds good. Planning to start on Thursday morning from Bangalore. Halt in Trichy. Friday morning to V.Kovil. Saturday evening return to Trichy. Sunday back to Bangalore Thanks for all your inputs. Will update the road conditions after the trip.
Again re-iterating: Dont go via Musiri but via Thuraiyur (deviation from Namakkal). Also note that NH7 would by-pass Namakkal town. Need to be watchful for right exit from NH7.
Old 20th January 2013, 15:55   #20

This is Jan 2013, planning for May 2013. Would appreciate guidance.
Major coordination towns on the route :-
Trichy - Thanjavur - Kumbhakonam - Mayiladuturai.
What are few important temples / historically located places in and near above places. I could take about one or two night halts at each coordinating towns. Would appreciate, if any suggestions for even okay guest houses / hotels, but car park would be necessary. I know lot of information is available elsewhere (too much); but I appreciate input from BHPians that I value. And what is road condition as of Jan 2013 ( or latest known).
=Shishya=
Old 20th January 2013, 22:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishya View Post
This is Jan 2013, planning for May 2013. Would appreciate guidance.
Major coordination towns on the route :-
Trichy - Thanjavur - Kumbhakonam - Mayiladuturai.
What are few important temples / historically located places in and near above places. I could take about one or two night halts at each coordinating towns. Would appreciate, if any suggestions for even okay guest houses / hotels, but car park would be necessary. I know lot of information is available elsewhere (too much); but I appreciate input from BHPians that I value. And what is road condition as of Jan 2013 ( or latest known).
=Shishya=
I've listed the must see temples, but ofcourse, there are hundreds of great temples in and around these 4 towns.

Trichy => Malaikottai Thayumanavar Temple, Srirangam Thiruvanaikoil, Samayapuram
Thanjavur => Brahadeeswara temple
Around Kumbakonam => Oppiliappan Koil, Thirunageswaram, Swamimalai, Patteeswaram, Darasuram and all navagraha temples
In Kumbakonam => Sarangapani Temple, Kumbeswarar temple, and many more depending on your time availability.
In & Around Mayavaram => Mayuranathar temple, Thirukadaiyur, Vaitheeswaran Koil,and if you stretch you can cover sirkali and chidambaram.

This is actually a very small list, but it all depends on number of days you plan to spend in these 4 places. Beaware about the hot summer in May, so you may not be able to cover all due to scorching heat.

-Ravi
Old 21st January 2013, 12:13   #22

Thank you Mr Ravi for your kind points. I have to be in Trichy in May 2013 for a marriage. I missed Thirukadaiyur on my 60th birthday as I met with a street accident then; will visit only for "aarthi".
=Shishya=

Most Viewed