Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 11:33   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to areas around Kanakpura, Malavalli, Kollegal etc. I'd like avoid driving into Banaglore to take Kanakpura road. Looking at Google maps and mapmyindia the following are the choices:

1. Chennai -> Hosur -> NICE Road -> Kanakapura Rd >>>
2. Chennai -> Hosur -> Thalli village -> Horahalli (on NH209 before Kanakapura)
3. Chennai -> Krishnagiri -> Kaveripatinnam -> Marandhalli village -> Denkanikota -> Anchetti -> Kanakapura

Any idea which would save time and has resonably good roads?
Option 3 is probably most scenic but not sure if small cars can make it.
Old 7th August 2009, 12:56   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
Hi,
I'm planning a trip to areas around Kanakpura, Malavalli, Kollegal etc. I'd like avoid driving into Banaglore to take Kanakpura road. Looking at Google maps and mapmyindia the following are the choices:

2. Chennai -> Hosur -> Thalli village -> Horahalli (on NH209 before Kanakapura)
3. Chennai -> Krishnagiri -> Kaveripatinnam -> Marandhalli village -> Denkanikota -> Anchetti -> Kanakapura

Any idea which would save time and has resonably good roads?
Option 3 is probably most scenic but not sure if small cars can make it.
no.2 is the best choice.
Old 9th August 2009, 09:00   #3
BHPian

Thanks Siddartha,

I found out in another cycling forum that the roads thru Anchetti -> Kanakpura is doable and very picturesque..hoping to try that road atleast one way.
Old 9th August 2009, 09:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but is this stretch open ?
Old 9th August 2009, 22:04   #5
BHPian

I was told that traffic does go thru the NICE road, but there are small sections that are incomplete but a dirt track connects them?
Old 12th August 2009, 10:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Pardon my ignorance but is this stretch open ?
Partially. You need to drive inside Gottigere to Bannerghatta Road and join Nice road. It is a tough road in deed. Once you rejoin NICE road, it is a paradise.
Old 26th March 2010, 16:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Siddartha,

I found out in another cycling forum that the roads thru Anchetti -> Kanakpura is doable and very picturesque..hoping to try that road atleast one way.
Has anybody travelled in the following routes? I'm planning a trip to Hogenakkal Falls and I want to explore these routes. Please update the road conditions.

1. Bangalore-Kanakapura-Anchetti-Hogenakkal
2. Pennagaram-Anchetti-Denkanikottai-Hosur-Bangalore
3. Anchetti-Thalai-Anekal-Bangalore

I want to take any 2 routes from the above for the onward & return journey.

Thanks
Old 26th March 2010, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Hi,
Recently I did Hogenakkal-Anchetti- Kanakapura-Ramanagara- Bangalore. The route is very picturesque till you reach Kanakapura. The road from Kanakapura to Ramanagara is in very good condition. Between Hogenakkal and Ancheti the road is narrow single lane with thick forest on both sides and few hair pin bends in b/w.Just 5km is not good but rest is fine till you cross Ancheti and reach Kanakapura.

You can't go fast in this route when compared to Dharmpuri-K'giri-Hosur route.If you want to try this route then please do it in daytime as it is very isolated. JFYI-I had left Hogenakkal at 2.30pm and could able to reach Kanakapura only by 5.00pm.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanjeev
Old 26th March 2010, 17:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sanjeev, I will update the conditions once I'm back
Old 26th March 2010, 19:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.iitm View Post
Hi,
Recently I did Hogenakkal-Anchetti- Kanakapura-Ramanagara- Bangalore. The route is very picturesque till you reach Kanakapura. The road from Kanakapura to Ramanagara is in very good condition. Between Hogenakkal and Ancheti the road is narrow single lane with thick forest on both sides and few hair pin bends in b/w.Just 5km is not good but rest is fine till you cross Ancheti and reach Kanakapura.

You can't go fast in this route when compared to Dharmpuri-K'giri-Hosur route.If you want to try this route then please do it in daytime as it is very isolated. JFYI-I had left Hogenakkal at 2.30pm and could able to reach Kanakapura only by 5.00pm.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanjeev
Seems like a good route to try.
Old 24th March 2011, 01:22   #11

Re: Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore

Replying to an year old thread. But there is good news. It is about 3 weeks back when I went to pennagaram via anchetty and I found there is brand new 2 lane smooth road being laid (relaid). But some bad stretch was still present. Also, looks like there is some forest clearing being done to the road sides probably to give good view of any wildlife occupying the road. The drive on the smooth road is awesome like the Denkanikota - Anchetty stretch.
Old 24th March 2011, 06:42   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sae90 View Post
Replying to an year old thread. But there is good news. It is about 3 weeks back when I went to pennagaram via anchetty and I found there is brand new 2 lane smooth road being laid (relaid). But some bad stretch was still present. Also, looks like there is some forest clearing being done to the road sides probably to give good view of any wildlife occupying the road. The drive on the smooth road is awesome like the Denkanikota - Anchetty stretch.
That is good news.

There was 5-6 km of real bad track in between. Rest was actually a very good road. Is this the section which is being re-laid?

Also are you referring to the route that goes via Hogenakkal or is there another route, which directly hits Pennagaram, by-passing Hogenakkal. If there is one, I do not recollect spotting this one.

But a very scenic route indeed!
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I just returned from a trip to Hogenakkal falls. The route taken was

Onward: Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Pennagaram-Hogenakkal

Return: Hogenakkal-Anchetty-Kanakapura-Bangalore

The onward route has good roads all the way.

The return route, apart from a 6-7km stretch, it is decent till Anchetty. From Anchetty to Kanakapura, the road is narrow and passes through a beautiful stretch of forest. It is good for the most part, but you have to watch out for huge potholes and undulations. There are a couple of rough stretches too.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:28   #14
Team-BHP Support

Do you have a GPS log of the return trip? Would be very interested. I did Ancherry-Denakanikottai road, but not to Kanakpura. Would love to do it.

Great to hear about the green patch!
Old 25th April 2011, 11:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you have a GPS log of the return trip? Would be very interested. I did Ancherry-Denakanikottai road, but not to Kanakpura. Would love to do it. Great to hear about the green patch!
I have the GPS log. I still have to edit it. Will do so and post it. How good is the Anchetty -Denkanikottai road? I saw that a lot vehicles from Bangalore take this road nowadays to reach Hogenakkal. In fact, the Hogenakkal-Anchetty-Denkanikottai-Hosur road is known as 'Bangalore Road' in Hogenakkal. It was 140 kms from Hogenakkal to Rajarajeshwarinagar via Anchetty-Kanakapura. The green patch was great, but it was overgrown with the lantana shrubs

Last edited by addyhemmige : 25th April 2011 at 11:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks