Team-BHP - Google maps water canal as road
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Google maps water canal as road (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/63625-google-maps-water-canal-road.html)

Please see the attached snap shots from Google.

Partof the water canal from The Tilari reservor to the power plant is marked as Tilari - Belgaum road. Will be very confusing for the people using GPS with google maps.

No surprise at all, these maps are compiled by idiots sitting in AC offices without any research or field experience/ data. They must have referred to a SOI map and connected the canal to some other road that was marked in the SOI map. I have seen worse in MapMyIndia and Eicher Atlas of India - am bemused that so many appear to rely on such maps despite such glaring errors. Worse still, they rave about such maps and question the wisdom of those who have actually driven there before - since for them, the maps are more important than a field report!

Oh. Well, this is really disappointing.

I thought this thread was about some road, mapped / photographed during the the monsoons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR (Post 1433350)
Partof the water canal from The Tilari reservor to the power plant is marked as Tilari - Belgaum road. Will be very confusing for the people using GPS with google maps.

For people who get onto this "road", it will be more than just confusing lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1433827)
Worse still, they rave about such maps and question the wisdom of those who have actually driven there before - since for them, the maps are more important than a field report!

+1. Until people know about you people, they will beleive the well known papers only :)

Did any body tried the Bhuvan. I heard that its more perfect than Google.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 1433861)
+1. Until people know about you people, they will beleive the well known papers only :)

Hey Jothi, Share your signature with us also, dont make private for only TN registered vehicle. :uncontrol

According to google maps the road from chalakudy goes to pollachi while on ground the road actually goes to valparai. Though among all I still feel google maps is far better than the rest. But no case of 'good to follow blindly' with any of them

Another big problem with GPS is if one selects the shortest routes, it takes you through obscure routes to the destination. And this is the worst inside the city. Hapened to me many a times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1434096)
Another big problem with GPS is if one selects the shortest routes, it takes you through obscure routes to the destination. And this is the worst inside the city. Hapened to me many a times.

....through one-way roads, jump off flyovers, U-turns onto the divider, the most congested corridor, closed roads.........

Online maps are one big horror story - even if work well most of the time, you can bet that at least once, it will go horrible wrong and result in a big mix-up and delay of at least 1-2 hours! Long way to go - the online mappers do not check out on the field, it seems, and make their maps by looking at Google images and SOI maps, at least on the highways.

A Bangalore based cycling forum highly recommends Yahoo India Maps for their route runs on state highways and local roads.

I have been using Eicher Road Atlas and Mapmyindia.com to get some general direction and to find out the major towns/villages on the route. But now I have more IMS maps which were recommended by HVK and others.

But for the actual driving, I have been depending on HVK, the locals along the road and the sign posts along the road. It is because of this inaccuracy in Indian maps that I dropped the idea of buying a GPS.

This hilarious incident happened with my fellow travellers when we went to Jaisalmer in 2008 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-gurgaon.html

They returned earlier via Bikaner while I proceeded to Jodhpur. Some place after Bikaner in the night they plotted a shorter route on their mapmyindia GPS. Following the GPS's navigation they suddenly found themselves on a mud road surrounded by mustard fields and slush etc. After a back breaking drive they were back on the tar road. Then they relaised that the GPS had taken them through mustard fields of some hapless farmer whose produse they flattened

I wish that they even today also write about that experience which they conviniently omitted...:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1434096)