Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

@black_panther: Got your PM and responded to it as below. I somehow managed to miss this thread earlier.

Quote:
The section at Isri Bazar and around it is single carriageway for some 30 odd km, but was recently resurfaced in May, when I went that way. The road runs through town, so traffic jams are an issue in the daytime.

The 70-km Allahabad section (35 km either side of Allahabad) also goes through Allahabad city and a number of villages on either side, so traffic jams also apply here. Road surface is not too good in some patches, but manageable.

The Agra - Jaipur stretch is also pretty good, though some patches through Agra and while entering Jaipur are single carriageway and not well-surfaced.

AFAIK (till June 2009), the Allahabad bypass is not operational. It begins about 35 km before Allahabad ctiy centre on either side, but the access to it is blocked as you see below (approaching from the Kanpur side).

Kolkata-Jaipur Information required-dsc05013k100.jpg

So you need to use the old NH2 single carriageway section, parts of which look like this picture below.

Kolkata-Jaipur Information required-dsc05015k100.jpg

As to filling up, it may be wiser to top up at Asansol and refuel again at Benaras (for which, again, it would be advisable to divert into town). JH and BR have some of the worst kinds of adulterated fuel in circulation, and saving a rupee or two per litre may not be worth it. If you can pull along till Allahabad from Asansol (580 km), then you don't need to divert anywhere, and there is a very big and busy IOC pump at the western end of the Ganga bridge at Allahabad, where I've personally found fuel quality to be good (it's also one of the rare places where AutoLPG is available in Allahabad).

BHP member ghpk is a resident of Allahabad, and may be able to provide the best update regarding the status of the Allahabad BP. Have PM'd him, he should be getting back shortly.
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your EW log shows a lot of PP between Jhansi and Aat. Can these be an re-fuel option?
Yes, lots of them, some of them looked good. Refuel there.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's ghpk's response to my PM to him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk
Hello,
nope i didn't heard about it being operational yet, Iam quite sure that its not complete, cause i still see heavy jams on GT road, which connects kanpur to varanasi.

however i'll ask few guys who travel a lot, will confirm you tomm.
Old 24th August 2009, 20:07   #19
BHPian

I got a response today from a fellow traveller in another forum,
which is quite self explanatory.

"Yes, you will be glad to know the Allahabad bypass is now open to traffic. This May, I drove from Delhi to Kolkata and while it wasn't open at that time, when I returned on the 5th of July, I found that it had been opened.

For that matter, the entire stretch is now open except for local repair work and a couple of bridges being built in Jharkhand near Barhi. The diversions would sum up to a mere 10-15kms of the 1500km journey.

In fact, my daughter and I recorded all the tolls, diversions, kn readings on the way, but I never came around to posting my trip information or photos. Maybe, some day I will overcome my inertia"

Cheers
Old 24th August 2009, 20:20   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
Allahabad bypass is now open to traffic.
That's great news! My next trip that way is expected end-Dec. '09 - I'll look forward to it.
Old 25th August 2009, 09:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Ghpk responded with the message below:
Quote:
just talked to a friend who does a lot of Allahabad to delhi trips by car, he says
near muratganj the bypass goes from kokhraj to handyia, handiya is after allahabad (on varanasi road), so taking this would escape all allahabad city based traffic.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:27   #22
BHPian

It is great to hear that Allahabad Bypass is operational.

Thanks everybody to find this out so quickly.

This will help me and also the fellow travellers who intend to do this stretch in the near future.

The beauty of this forum is once more reflected.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@black_panther: Got your PM and responded to it as below. I somehow managed to miss this thread earlier.
Thank you so much for sharing your contact information and promising me help on the way.

This provides a lot of support to me.
Old 25th August 2009, 15:16   #24
BHPian

The allahabad bypass is operational. You take it before hanumanganj (just after handia) when coming from Varanasi and it drops you after manauri (at kokhraj) taking you straight to Kanpur via Fatehpur bypass. About 84 kms and one 1.5km bridge in the allahabad bypass. Also the Kanpur bypass within the city is fantastic. You would be out of Kanpur in no time !!

Be careful of the 4 adjacent unmarked big hump speed breakers near Fatehpur. My Q7 jumped a fair bit as it was not clearly visible when we were doing around 120.

Last edited by entropy : 25th August 2009 at 15:20.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Dude, if you have any questions around Jaipur, I maybe able to help, otherwise the route would be quite clear if you read Kumar Sirs and party GQ drive travelogue.

Let me know if any help required, will be happy to do the same.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Dude, if you have any questions around Jaipur, I maybe able to help
Yes, a few questions regarding Jaipur/Rajasthan.

1) Entry into Jaipur from NH 11. Is it an elevated road? Is there any point that might create a confusion?

2) The convinient point to stay at Jaipur. Hotels preferred would be around 1000 -1500 INR. How do I reach there from NH 11?

3) Places to visit at Jaipur. Would it be possible to visit the places during the day in end of September?

4)What should be the ideal way from Ajmer to Udaipur? Should I carry on with NH8 or should I follow the GQ route?
Old 26th August 2009, 19:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi, My answers are in BOLD below

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Yes, a few questions regarding Jaipur/Rajasthan.

1) Entry into Jaipur from NH 11. Is it an elevated road? Is there any point that might create a confusion?

No its not an elevated road. But as you get closer to Jaipur city there are enough signboards that will lead you the way.

2) The convinient point to stay at Jaipur. Hotels preferred would be around 1000 -1500 INR. How do I reach there from NH 11?

Try Hotel Arya Niwas, but do book them now or else they tend to get full fast. Or else you most welcome to stay in my guest house. Once you done with your booking, ill guide you with the directions then.

3) Places to visit at Jaipur. Would it be possible to visit the places during the day in end of September?

Yes, end september should be a good time. The weather is good. You can cover most of the tourist places in one day.

4)What should be the ideal way from Ajmer to Udaipur? Should I carry on with NH8 or should I follow the GQ route?

Do you plan to stop at Ajmer for sight seeing? If yes then I would suggest that you continue with the NH8. If you do not plan to stop at Ajmer then I would suggest that you take a left from Kishangarh (30kms before Ajmer) and join NH79 and further on NH76. This route will take you via Chiitorgarh and is much faster than NH8.
Old 4th September 2009, 14:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Hi, My answers are in BOLD below
Thanks Deky.

"Hotel Arya Niwas" seems to be good value for money from their website. But my dates are not fixed as my leave might get cancelled. Hence, I am not booking any Hotel.

I am thinking of pushing in Jodhpur and Jaisalmer in between. In that case my route would be:

Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur
Jodhpur-Jaisalmer
1 day halt
Jaisalmer-Udaipur

Please suggest some good places to stay at Jodhpur/Jaisalmer.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:40   #29
BHPian

I am in Ajmer today.

Here are a few pictures. I will be posting a detailed travelouge soon.

Glimpse of Allahabad Bypass.
Kolkata-Jaipur Information required-picture-006.jpg

Agra-Jaipur Road - Except for the first 10 kms, the rest is superfast

Kolkata-Jaipur Information required-img_1935.jpg
Old 26th September 2011, 17:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Any advice for a Rajasthan round trip from Calcutta?

God willing and if everything goes as per plan we (my wife, daughter and myself) are going on a Rajasthan tour starting this Sunday. Would love to hear your opinions/advice on the route/hotels/eating joints on the way/things to see on the way etc.

Here is my route, planned with help and inputs from - who else but HVK?

Calcutta > Allahabad > Jhansi/Orchha > Kota > Bundi > Chitaur > Udaipur > Kumbhalgarh > Ranakpur > Jodhpur > Jaipur > Agra > Allahabad/Benares > Calcutta

Names in bold are planned night halts.

I have never been beyond Benares on this route by car. And I have never been to Rajasthan before in my life. Am keeping the desert sector out of this trip due to paucity of time. Jaisalmer and Bikaner will have to wait for another time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks