Team-BHP - The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/63892-air-travel-airports-discussion-thread-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjiRoss (Post 1722426)
Does this affect you if you are just transitting through the airport - from one terminal to the other? I think this rule is only if you want to go out of the airport or stay at an outside hotel during the transit.

I don't know about it but why should take the risk.
Its better to have Malaysian social visit visa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1723513)
@Ashwin - it is purely Air India's mistake. This is completely irresponsible flight booking honestly. As a codeshare partner, Lufthansa should have managed the luggage.

First error - the cartoon at AI desk. If I was her, I would've called up my travel desk and they would've sorted it out.

Thereafter, Lufthansa could've been smarter, but they were not. Too bad - that's the flipside of Germans - rule bound.

Hey thanks for the reply. BTW, Air India has responded to the email sent. This is what they say:

Quote:

Dear Ms....,

We deeply regret the inconvenience caused due to the mishandling of your baggage tagging. We do tag the baggage through to the destination and we are investigating as to why the staff from our handling agency has given the wrong information. We are going to investigate and take corrective action.

Also, we will ensure your return journey is without any hurdles.

Best regards.

C (......... )S (.......)
AM-Traffic/baggage service

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjiRoss (Post 1723042)
Are you travelling with luggage?
How much did you end up paying for the ticket?
I've seen their booking page and it adds cost depending on how much luggage you wanna carry, for food, for choosing your seats, etc
Do let me know how the experience was!

Yes, I booked a fair amount of luggage, and selected best seats. Neither my wife nor I am any good at travelling light, and I have a shopping list that includes a pair of speakers for my PC, they alone, will be quite heavy.

Tiger's charges for unbooked excess baggage are prohibitive.

The total, Chennai/Singapore/Chennai, two persons... USD437.

Any reviews on Qatar Airways? I might be travelling from the US to BLR sometime in May, and with my wife & 6 month old daughter along with me, I've got no clue how things are going to be. Kinda skeptical, since it'll be our 1st trip with the little one.
I'm a bit concerened about the 15hr flight from Houston to Doha.The max I've ever travelled is ~ 10hrs.Adults can manage, but how does it work for babies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1738419)
Any reviews on Qatar Airways? I might be travelling from the US to BLR sometime in May, and with my wife & 6 month old daughter along with me, I've got no clue how things are going to be. Kinda skeptical, since it'll be our 1st trip with the little one.
I'm a bit concerened about the 15hr flight from Houston to Doha.The max I've ever travelled is ~ 10hrs.Adults can manage, but how does it work for babies?

I have been travelling US alone to delhi every month back and forth on a continental airlines flight from newark to delhi (13-15hrs) for last 2 years. I have seen a lot of people travelling with babies. So far i havent noticed any problems with those people . The babies sleeps most of the time. However i do have noticed that people travelling with babies take the row in the middle right next to the wall across emergency exits . That ways the flight stewardess can give them the basket and they can hook the basket up on the wall and babies can sleep in that basket sort of thing and you can sleep handsfree as well.

Yeah, thats the only option for parents with kids, the bassinet sits on the wall right in front, and hence the baby gets to sleep for the most part of the flight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1738419)

Nitin, if you got bassinet then no issues at all. Infact its more challenging to travel with a 2 yr old than a 6month old. It will not be a problem.
Last month a friend of mine travelled Doha - Houston by Qatar Air. He had a nice experience.

Abhi

Guys,

I will be travelling Mumbai - London coming sunday for official business by Kingfisher airlines. Till recently I have been going by Jet airways and was satisfied with the flying experience until my office goes on some strange budget control exercise. Kingfisher acco to my travel desk offers the lowest fares in business class in comparison to BA and Jet. Can any one comment on the Kingfisher in regards to service, On board entertainment, punctuality etc. I will be travelling by business class. please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 1738669)
Nitin, if you got bassinet then no issues at all. Infact its more challenging to travel with a 2 yr old than a 6month old. It will not be a problem.
Last month a friend of mine travelled Doha - Houston by Qatar Air. He had a nice experience.

Abhi

The travel agent said there was no extra fee for a bassinet, where as some airlines charge as much as $200 for the same.
Also, I'd like to know which Economy class ( Y/S/H, not sure of which one) is usually eligible for an upgrade to business class when seats are available?
I tried Air France last time, and when I checked with the ground staff if an upgrade was possible, they said that the Economy class that I had booked in would not make us eligible for an upgrade. I'd much rather pay a bit more and have the chance for an upgrade if its possible.
Not sure of the chances though,since we'll be travelling during the summer when most flights are full.

@anyone with govt job here:-Is it necessary to get NOC from concerned dept to get US visa?I know acc to rules one should inform the dept when planning to travel but getting NOC is big headache.
So what i want to know whether visa officer will ask for NOC or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 1738685)
Guys,

I will be travelling Mumbai - London coming sunday for official business by Kingfisher airlines. Till recently I have been going by Jet airways and was satisfied with the flying experience until my office goes on some strange budget control exercise. Kingfisher acco to my travel desk offers the lowest fares in business class in comparison to BA and Jet. Can any one comment on the Kingfisher in regards to service, On board entertainment, punctuality etc. I will be travelling by business class. please:

You are travelling with kingfisher that too with business class. you will surely like it .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1740260)
The travel agent said there was no extra fee for a bassinet, where as some airlines charge as much as $200 for the same.
Also, I'd like to know which Economy class ( Y/S/H, not sure of which one) is usually eligible for an upgrade to business class when seats are available?
I tried Air France last time, and when I checked with the ground staff if an upgrade was possible, they said that the Economy class that I had booked in would not make us eligible for an upgrade. I'd much rather pay a bit more and have the chance for an upgrade if its possible.
Not sure of the chances though,since we'll be travelling during the summer when most flights are full.

I am not an expert on this buddy but as far as my experience goes there are several types of economy tickets ,the cheapest ones are restricted ones with a quota for eg marine fares(tickets issued to seamen) etc.These are the tickets which websites sell as well telling you that its a cheap ticket with same economy privileges.These are not eligible for any sort of upgrade. The golden rule is that the expensive the economy ticket is,the more its prone to get upgraded. However the closest i have seen people getting in economy is the emergency exits seats . Its too hard for an economy customer to get upto elite class unless the cabin is empty as hell.
Rest this is just an overview.I might be wrong!!

trouble..my wife was to travel to atlanta from bangalore on the 23rd feb '10..now the pilots of lufthansa are on a strike from 22nd to 25th feb '10.
what do you guys reckon are the options? I am in US now and she is in India,all set to fly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14000rpm (Post 1740667)
trouble..my wife was to travel to atlanta from bangalore on the 23rd feb '10..now the pilots of lufthansa are on a strike from 22nd to 25th feb '10.
what do you guys reckon are the options? I am in US now and she is in India,all set to fly.

Two options.
1. Air France.
2. Emirates.

I have travelled on both these airlines and the service is good on both of them. Additional advantage with Emirates is 30Kg baggage allowance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR (Post 1740680)
Two options.
1. Air France.
2. Emirates.

I have travelled on both these airlines and the service is good on both of them. Additional advantage with Emirates is 30Kg baggage allowance.

shes gots a fully paid up ticket for 23rd. I've travelled on Air france on previous flights and have liked it so far.
now our money is blocked and flight has trouble. do you think Lufthansa will book on a diff flight for us?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14000rpm (Post 1740683)
shes gots a fully paid up ticket for 23rd. I've travelled on Air france on previous flights and have liked it so far.
now our money is blocked and flight has trouble. do you think Lufthansa will book on a diff flight for us?

In that case, the best option would be to Check with Lufthansa on their helpline number. I was informed by my friend that earlier in such cases, Lufthansa had made other arrangements. But I am not very sure.

Else ask for a full refund from Lufthansa and book on other airline