Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 22:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
My wife's Grandpa has to go to Toronto in July and while booking his ticket was informed that he cannot take flights that have a connection in US. Travel agent informed that a person is required to have US visa even if they intend to disembark to take connecting flight.

Is this true?

I have never heard of this kind of regulation in any other country.
Yes it is true. Here is the link
Transit Visas and Transit without Visa (TWOV)

Also I think even if you flying over US you need a visa. I cant seem to find that link now.
Old 20th June 2009, 20:12   #17
BHPian

Guys, is a Japan transit VISA required for an Indian passport holder travelling to US via Tokyo? Dont want to leave the Tokyo airport, need to catch a connecting flight to Honolulu.

Also, Can the point of entry to US be Honolulu? Chennai - Bangkok - Tokyo - Honolulu and return is the planned route. Thailand does not need a transit VISA right?

Can someone please help urgently as we need to boo tickets? Thanks.
Old 20th June 2009, 22:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, is a Japan transit VISA required for an Indian passport holder travelling to US via Tokyo?
I don't think so, but confirm it with the Japan embassy/consulate here.
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:49   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgrades only happen to other people

Just got back from a one-month trip-for-two to UK. As usual, we chose BA, because... well, because there is no choice; nobody else flies Heathrow/Chennai direct.

To maximise the baggage allowance at the least price increase, and to have at least one direction in comfort, we booked Economy to Heathrow and Premium Economy back to Chennai. The other way around would have made comfort sense, being an hour longer, but it cost a lot more.

I was dreading the 10.5 hours with someone else's back forcing my knees into my chest, but hey, it's a holiday and one has to be cheerful!

When boarding several hundred people onto a plane, the ground staff can hardly afford many words for each, but when we were held at the gate ("Wait here!") I began to wonder if our baggage was wrong --- or maybe we just smelt!

When they changed our seat numbers, and told us, "You've been upgraded to World-Traveller Plus" I was just delighted!

On the way back we did all right for ourselves too --- managing to get a pair of bulkhead seats, with our own private shelf (baby carrier).

A couple of very nice flights! With a good time, spent in London, Cornwall and the Lake District, in between them
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
You can say that again. i flew through CDG in Jan and the security check and immigration went on for 2 hrs and you drive ages around the airport to reach your aircraft or terminal.

When I land in chennai, the immigration took just 2 mins.
Well, I can visualize it ;-)

I forgot to say that AF is one of the few airlines who allow pets into the cabin. The pet is supposed to be in a appropriate cage - however, I know of this incident where my manager was sitting in the middle row as an elderly French lady. It appears that her little dog was dearer to her than her children. Since, the seat between was empty, she let the dog out and it was sitting there. My colleague couldn't even eat his lunch etc and couldn't sleep due to being not too fond of canines :-( The trouble is that AF stewardesses chatted up the old lady in French, and ignored her blatant violation of the airline rules & the guy's request to keep the pet restrained in the cage.

So, I guess most of us escaped with minimal discomfort!
Old 24th June 2009, 18:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, is a Japan transit VISA required for an Indian passport holder travelling to US via Tokyo? Dont want to leave the Tokyo airport, need to catch a connecting flight to Honolulu.

Also, Can the point of entry to US be Honolulu? Chennai - Bangkok - Tokyo - Honolulu and return is the planned route. Thailand does not need a transit VISA right?

Can someone please help urgently as we need to boo tickets? Thanks.
1.No transit visa required for connecting flight.
2. Yes Honolulu is US soil .
3.No transit visa for Thailand. In fact if you wish you can get a visa on arrival for entry into Thailand.
Old 29th June 2009, 00:47   #22
BHPian

The International Air Travel Discusssion Thread

Guys, I'm traveling to DC shortly. I'm being told that Delta has a good connection - but having had a bad experience with them, I'm a bit skittish about flying Delta. Will appreciate any pointers on the preferred Airline
Old 30th June 2009, 01:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
Guys, I'm traveling to DC shortly. I'm being told that Delta has a good connection - but having had a bad experience with them, I'm a bit skittish about flying Delta. Will appreciate any pointers on the preferred Airline
Delta used to have poor reviews until about 2006. I've heard that they've improved since.

I just traveled by Air France, and I didn't like their service at all. The flights from Houston to Paris weren't crowded, but the seating comfort was horrible.Too cramped, and no space to move.Felt like we were in a cast of some sorts. And as for the CDG airport, thats another lousy place!So disorganized.

Its back to Lufthansa, or British Airways next time!
Old 30th June 2009, 11:38   #24
BHPian

Ticket to Sydney

My parents would be traveling to Sydney (BloreSydney) in September '09. I havent been able to find a good travel agent. All of them say different things and suggest different ways. :-(

The whole scene is, they will be staying there for 9-11 months. What is the most ideal booking that can be done?

There are many choices like Airlines, Class, open/closed tickets, open ticket period, etc.

Please feel to PM me if you guys dont wanna post it here.

Can you one help me out here!

Also if you can recommend me your trusted travel agent that would be great!
Thanks.

Last edited by devrajman : 30th June 2009 at 11:46.
Old 30th June 2009, 12:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
agentsmith, I did BOM - IAD - BOM in April 2009, and flew on Continental. I found the connections most convenient, with the added advantage of reaching DC at the earliest for any airline. Just be careful about the stop-over at EWR, because immigration clearance takes longer at 6am, and IAD - EWR domestic flights on the return trip tend to get delayed. Overall experience was quite positive, though.

I had done the same trip last year, in Feb 2008. On that trip, continental delivered my baggage the next day, though!
Old 30th June 2009, 16:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Anytime, I would opt for B.A..they are the best as compared to its peers...good service, efficient online systems, least number of baggage issues or even if your baggage doesnt come along with you, rest assured they get door delivered within 24hrs along with a small compensation (mostly only in the US, doesnt happen for your trips back to India)..and loads of free drinks ..
Air france - bad service
Luft - boring, service is kinda ok.
if you are ok with the other route, ie Pacific, then Singapore Airlines would be the best, good food, especially the Asian cuisine and the movies they have are the latest !!
Old 13th July 2009, 00:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

I tried searching for a thread on US visa requirments,but didn't find any.

My in-laws will be visiting us this November.I'd like to get all the info needed with respect to the US visitor's visa ( a multiple entry one). Would anyone have the details- what all documents are needed, the visa fees etc ?

Mods: if a thread does exist with these answers, please do the needful.

Thanks!
Old 13th July 2009, 08:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I tried searching for a thread on US visa requirments,but didn't find any.

My in-laws will be visiting us this November.I'd like to get all the info needed with respect to the US visitor's visa ( a multiple entry one). Would anyone have the details- what all documents are needed, the visa fees etc ?

Mods: if a thread does exist with these answers, please do the needful.

Thanks!
Per Passenger -

1.Passport Pictures x 4
2.Valid Passport for 6 months from time of traveling
3.Bank statement for the last 6 months
4.Income tax returns document for last 2 years
5.Flight Confirmations (return)/Itinerary
6.Hotel Confirmations for the duration of the trip/Or letter from sponsor from the US(including bank statements to show accountability for the length of their travels)
7.Insurance

hope i didn't miss anything
Old 13th July 2009, 11:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Per Passenger -

1.Passport Pictures x 4
You just need one photograph, 50x50mm, white background, both ears visible, face covering 75% of the photograph. Please check the VFS site (https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/Home.aspx) for exact specifications.

In addition to the documents listed above, please carry some documentation supporting the purpose of travel (e.g. attending a seminar - invitation letter, attending a wedding in the family - invitation card). Also required would be a financial support statement if your relative(s) are going to take care of your lodging and boarding.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Per Passenger -

1.Passport Pictures x 4
2.Valid Passport for 6 months from time of traveling
3.Bank statement for the last 6 months
4.Income tax returns document for last 2 years
5.Flight Confirmations (return)/Itinerary
6.Hotel Confirmations for the duration of the trip/Or letter from sponsor from the US(including bank statements to show accountability for the length of their travels)
7.Insurance

hope i didn't miss anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
You just need one photograph, 50x50mm, white background, both ears visible, face covering 75% of the photograph. Please check the VFS site (https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/Home.aspx) for exact specifications.

In addition to the documents listed above, please carry some documentation supporting the purpose of travel (e.g. attending a seminar - invitation letter, attending a wedding in the family - invitation card). Also required would be a financial support statement if your relative(s) are going to take care of your lodging and boarding.
Thanks for the details guys. I really appreciate your help!
I'll pass on the details to my father-in-law. He plans on going for the visa interview next month, so that should give him enough time to work on things.
Also, is it absolutely necessary for me to provide a bank statement ( since they'll be staying with me) ? Not a problem,if needed.
I'll check the website for all the details.

Most Viewed