Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 23:05   #286
Senior - BHPian

Abhi,
So the USCIS official removed the old I-94 from your passport? If so,then they'll definitely make an entry in your records saying that the old I-94 was received upon re-entry.No issues then.
Typically, if the USCIS doesn't receive a document when needed, they create a situation where if you return to the country later, somehow or the other they'll line up some trouble for you and make it tough to get out of the airport.Typically seen in certain airports where multiple international flights land at the same time.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:19   #287
BHPian

Anyone travelling to Japan (Narita Airport ) next week, I am travelling and looking for company.

Also, does anyone have information on the allowed baggage limits on various airlines from bangalore to Tokyo
Old 28th July 2010, 19:30   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
Also, does anyone have information on the allowed baggage limits on various airlines from bangalore to Tokyo
I guess it depends from Airline to Airline. Check the website or speak to airline customer care. But not that much of a significant difference to compare.

Abhi
Old 28th July 2010, 20:00   #289
Senior - BHPian

I have heard of many bad experiences by desi guys flying on international airlines. I dont have much that was noticeable though I was not given drinks/water even after asking repeatedly on my last BA flight from LHR to BLR. I reported this in their service feedback option on ba.com. Reading from various online forums, I think some of the cabin crew in these flights to "third world" countries are on "punishment assignments" due to some irregularities reported. I think this factor make them behave even badly. I feel sorry for them having to suffer "ugly third world people" and tolerate the overnight stays in these countries.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:39   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

I suspect that, just now, a lot of BA crew would rather be working for a different airline.

As to whether or not this is a "punishment" route for them, I can't say for sure, but hey, air crew do the job in the first place to see the world, and also a percentage of BA's crew on flights to India will be local to India, speaking the languages of their passengers*. Generally, I'd say that, as economics worsen air crews get smaller, and economy (cattle-class) passengers, particularly, get less and less service. There is a whole culture, too, of "policing" passengers as much as giving service. Understood, of course, that the primary job of cabin crew is safety, but sometimes they are just officious and obnoxious.

My regular flight is Chennai/Heathrow, about once a year or so. There is a very high proportion of Indian[-origin] passengers on those flights. I know the world can look different through the eyes of a white Brit, but I have not noticed any difference in the treatment of those "third-world people". In contrast, on another flight, I saw what I thought was nothing short of blatant racism. It was one of the Arab-country airlines, but I can't remember which and anyway, it was seven or eight years ago now so rather too late to name names.

*EDIT: so maybe the punishment is sending them to UK! I hadn't thought of that. Guilty of euro-centric thinking there, I'm afraid!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th July 2010 at 20:41.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:44   #291
Senior - BHPian

Any country airline is going to carry staff from all over the world. There will be 1 or 2 locals to the country which the flight belongs. Yes they have a tough job and back to back or even 3 flights. Very little rest and fatigue. Its really the airline companies who is to be blamed not the humans.
Old 29th July 2010, 10:49   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I guess it depends from Airline to Airline. Check the website or speak to airline customer care. But not that much of a significant difference to compare.

Abhi
Actually I have found the opposite, there is a significant difference. Air India allows arn30~35 and thai only 20. But I am not getting the exact details as of now on the website.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:42   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

@babaops: I believe 20-23kgs of luggage per person, is the norm for most of the Asian airlines. On our trip to Japan via Cathay Pacific, we carried around 23kgs/person and got through.
Business Class is around 30kgs IIRC.
Old 29th July 2010, 16:18   #294
BHPian

The standard thumb-rule for luggage is 1 piece / 23 kg for economy for flights to and from USA while it is 20 kg for rest of the world. However, some airlines allow more also depending on their individual rules and need to attract customers. A lot of airlines to Europe permit 40 Kg to students in July/August out of India.

The maximum weight I have been allowed till date in economy in international travel without paying excess baggage has been 82 Kg in Alitalia from Paris to Bombay on 2 tickets and in domestic it was 64 Kg in Air Sahara from Hyderabad to Delhi on a single ticket.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:02   #295
BHPian

I've just renewed my passport and lost my ECNR, it is currently in ECR status. can I travel to Singapore with a ECR status ?

Thanks for your views !

EDIT : Ashish's response in pg 12 clarifies. Thanks.

Last edited by 2theMax : 29th July 2010 at 17:10.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:11   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@babaops: I believe 20-23kgs of luggage per person, is the norm for most of the Asian airlines. On our trip to Japan via Cathay Pacific, we carried around 23kgs/person and got through.
Business Class is around 30kgs IIRC.
thanks a lot for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
The standard thumb-rule for luggage is 1 piece / 23 kg for economy for flights to and from USA while it is 20 kg for rest of the world. However, some airlines allow more also depending on their individual rules and need to attract customers. A lot of airlines to Europe permit 40 Kg to students in July/August out of India.

The maximum weight I have been allowed till date in economy in international travel without paying excess baggage has been 82 Kg in Alitalia from Paris to Bombay on 2 tickets and in domestic it was 64 Kg in Air Sahara from Hyderabad to Delhi on a single ticket.
looks like I will need to ask my travel dept. to make sure they book the flight that allows the maximum baggage, and hope that they get this thing right.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:08   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
I've just renewed my passport and lost my ECNR, it is currently in ECR status. can I travel to Singapore with a ECR status ?

Thanks for your views !

EDIT : Ashish's response in pg 12 clarifies. Thanks.
Better get ECNR stamped on your passport to avoid all unpleasant questioning and delays from immigration department.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:23   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
Anyone travelling to Japan (Narita Airport ) next week, I am travelling and looking for company.

Get a Frequent Flyer card. Generally airlines allow 10KG extra if you have the FF card. I know as I was told that at check-in when I was flying from Eindhoven to Paris. I was carrying 48KG of checkin (when only 20 KG was allowed on my ticket) but I had the Air France FF card and the lady at the counter said I could carry upto 30KGs. I asked them to tell me how much I need to pay for the extra KGs and even after multiple calls she couldnt tell so just allowed me whole 48KGs "It must be your lucky day" she chuckled!
Old 11th August 2010, 12:46   #299
BHPian

Euro Trip

I do not know whether this is the right thread for this question.

I am planning to do a trip to Paris for which I need a schengen visa from France.

Do any one know the procedure to apply for visa from bangalore?

Will bangalore vfs accept visa applications? Are there any interviews/biometric that requires personal visits to consulate?

Any first hand experiences that can be shared will be of great help.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:24   #300
BHPian

I plan to buy a DSLR over the net and have it delivered to a friend in New Jersey.
As she would be coming here next month.

Do they normally check at the airport. BTW she is a 70 year old lady.

Should she unbox it and bring it as hand luggage ?

I don't want her to be hassled at the airport in Mumbai when she comes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks