Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 02:06   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Its best you should check what a traveller may import duty free, and not ask somebody else to exceed that.

On the other hand...

Of course she may bring her own camera for her personal use and, these days, nobody record such things on entry or checks that they are being taken out again.
Old 14th September 2010, 02:16   #302
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a question on the Hong Kong transit tours. I'm travelling to Bangalore from U.S. this weekend. I have a 19 hour transit in Hong Kong. This issue is my U.S. visa has expired and I'm here on I-94. The I-94 document will be taken away when I board the flight. Will I have any issues to take a transit tour?

As far as I understand, Indian citizens can stay in HK in 14 days without a visa. The reason I ask this question is because one of my friends was denied a transit Visa in Singapore because of the same reason.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks i advance!
Old 14th September 2010, 10:08   #303
Senior - BHPian

If you're paranoid - Unbox the camera. Normally no one bothers a 70 year old, but unboxed camera that isn't looking "new" won't even be questioned by 99% of customs officers.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:30   #304
BHPian

Hi, has anyone used Meru cabs from international airport at Mumbai? My question is, does the taxi come within few minutes (5/10 minutes) if I call from the airport?

Also, I would like to know about the traffic scene during evening hrs. My plane would land at 5:30 pm on Saturday and I have go to CST to catch a train that leaves at 9. Are 3.5 hrs sufficient for immigration, customs and commute? Thanks!
Old 12th October 2010, 16:58   #305
Senior - BHPian

that would be tough. luggage + customs etc take 45 mins to an hour. And you will spend 15 - 20 mins in getting cab (Even normal cabs are fine, there is a booking counter just before exiting the airport).

And commute would be 1 - 2 hours in evening. if flight get delayed even by half an hour, you might miss the connection.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:56   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hi, has anyone used Meru cabs from international airport at Mumbai? My question is, does the taxi come within few minutes (5/10 minutes) if I call from the airport?
Meru doesn't take advance booking for pickups at the airport I believe - you need to call after landing, and it is a 5-minute wait as I understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Also, I would like to know about the traffic scene during evening hrs. My plane would land at 5:30 pm on Saturday and I have go to CST to catch a train that leaves at 9. Are 3.5 hrs sufficient for immigration, customs and commute? Thanks!
That's cutting it too fine. You might be better off catching your train at Thane if it has a stop there.
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:27   #307
Team-BHP Support

Suppose a ticket is booked on 20-Oct-2010.

Then:
The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : GMR to hike UDF from November 1

Quote:
HYDERABAD: Air travellers departing from the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport here will soon need to pay much higher User Development Fee (UDF) with the regulatory authority allowing airport operator GMR to hike the rates from November 1.

The hike will make the UDF charges here higher than any other international airport in India and also some of the prominent airports in the world.

The GMR Hyderabad International Airport (GHIAL) presently charges Rs. 350 for domestic and Rs. 1,000 for international departures.

The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority (AERA) has allowed GHIAL to charge Rs. 420 and Rs. 1,656 respectively, excluding taxes with effect from November 1 though on an ad hoc basis, according to consultation paper issued on UDF hike by AERA.

Incidentally, the GHIAL had sought permission from the AERA to charge Rs. 500 for domestic and Rs. 2,825 for international departures excluding tax which was not granted. The AERA, while allowing the airport operator a hike in the UDF has also sought comments and submissions before October 7 from stakeholders. — PTI
SO if someone is flying after November 1, how is this money recovered.
Old 3rd November 2010, 23:44   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

When they first introduced the UDF at HYD, one had to pay it at a set of counters at the airport and obtain a receipt - without which neither could one check-in, nor could one pass through security. Presumably something similar would be implemented.
Old 16th November 2010, 10:28   #309
Senior - BHPian

@all from mumbai/maharashtra,

Air Asia is running promotional fare for mumbai-kualalumpur sector for booking on 15/16/17 th nov for travel for 1st july 2011 onwards.
Fares are as low as rs 2641 return,
yes, you read it correctly, rs two thousand six hundred forty one only for return with all taxes and airport charges at mum and kul ,
You have to pay additional charges for luggage i.e. rs 450, means, you have return ticket for kul at rs 3541.

Guys who are interested can get benefit.

Disclaimer: i am no way promoting Air Asia but posting the low fare so that you can have a trip at this peanut cost.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 16th November 2010 at 10:33.
Old 18th November 2010, 01:27   #310
Senior - BHPian

Heard about the full body scans they have put up at international airports? The pat down you get if you refuse for a scan is extremely invasive. And people are "randomly" picked for full body scans.
I am not looking forward to this part of the return trip :(
Old 18th November 2010, 02:05   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Then:
The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : GMR to hike UDF from November 1

I paid Rs.875 as UDF at the entrance of International Terminal before check in at RGIA last week.
I believe domestic you need to pay Rs.450(it has been hiked Rs.100).few weeks back i flew to mumbai and they didnt insist on UDF at domestic.
I think its very unreasonable.
Old 18th November 2010, 02:12   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Heard about the full body scans they have put up at international airports? The pat down you get if you refuse for a scan is extremely invasive. And people are "randomly" picked for full body scans.
I am not looking forward to this part of the return trip :(
There is a big hoolaa on this on the TV channels and newspapers where even obvious old ladies and children are frisked and touched at the wrong places. Nothing to worry. Its a part of keeping the fobia up and running and keeping the bogeyman alive.
Earlier it was like, if you are clean you have nothing to worry. Now it is even if you are clean you will be touched screened and frisked.
If I get touched I am going to moan with pleasure and ask them not to stop.
Old 18th November 2010, 02:20   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
If I get touched I am going to moan with pleasure and ask them not to stop.

What if someone is very ticklish? Imagine they are trying to frisk you and you are rolling on the floor laughing, nearly peeing in your pants!!
Old 18th November 2010, 02:21   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I paid Rs.875 as UDF at the entrance of International Terminal before check in at RGIA last week.
I believe domestic you need to pay Rs.450(it has been hiked Rs.100).few weeks back i flew to mumbai and they didnt insist on UDF at domestic.
I think its very unreasonable.
So sorry about the late update.

I called up the airport and asked. They said I would have to pay.

I reached the airport and did NOT ask anyone. No one asked me to pay either. So I guess I was just plain lucky.
Old 18th November 2010, 07:32   #315
BHPian

Quote:
So sorry about the late update.

I called up the airport and asked. They said I would have to pay.

I reached the airport and did NOT ask anyone. No one asked me to pay either. So I guess I was just plain lucky.
Imran, you would have travelled between 01-Nov and 08-Nov, ex Hyderabad ... that is why no one asked you to pay ... the 100/- increase in UDF at Hyderabad is effective 08-Nov ... and not 01-Nov as was reported in the press ... I guess the increase is actually 105/- and not 100/- but not sure ... Another thing, if you purchased the ticket after the increase was announced, there is a chance that your ticket includes the higher UDF ...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th November 2010 at 03:22. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks

Most Viewed