Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 12:21   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Look up the UK immigration/plant quarantine/customs pages. If they allow it, take it.

Don't be a hero on behalf of your friend and get butchered.
Customs Instructions-2009-CBEC is an example. think first.
Thanks for the advise and warning Phamilyman, I just checked the website and cross checked the medicine content. None of the medicine I am carrying are in the list of the controlled drug list as detailed in the website. I have pasted the link for reference.

HM Revenue & Customs
Old 5th August 2011, 10:34   #377
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any idea whats the extra scrutiny that sikhs wearing turbans have to go through at CDG Paris airport? I am travelling to boston and will have to change flights at Paris. I have travelled via Heathrow a couple of times over the past two years and did not have to go through any extra checks. But since France is somewhat indifferent to religious considerations ( the burqa ban and all) am just a little bit apprehensive.
Any thoughts?
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:55   #378
BHPian

Passport emergency

My sister in the US has met with an accident and we need to fly today itself. Unfortunately my mom's passport is expiring on 27th December, 11.

We already have a B1 VISIA. Can somebody please confirm if my mom can fly now or will we have to apply for a taatkal renewal?

Your immediate response will be highly appreciated.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:03   #379
BHPian

Re: Passport emergency

Vandan : Sorry to hear about the incident. I think the immigration officers will give I94 to your mom till the passport expiry. Same thing happened with me in 2007.
I traveled without any issues in October 2007 when my passport was expiring in Feb 2008. The I94 was valid till Feb 2008.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:10   #380
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, Passport needs to be valid for six months before one can travel to US. Please get tatkal renewal done. Since you have an emergency, if you meet RPO, you might get it same day.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:14   #381
BHPian

Six month constraint is for applying Visa not for travel. If you want to confirm just visit embassy. As for them their visa is most important than our passport. I knew it bcoz it happened to my brother whoes passport lamination came out and this is what embassy told him.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:46   #382
BHPian

We're really confused. The passport office is shut today and different travel agents are giving different answers.

The US consulate confirms she can travel as long as she is back within the expiry date. However my concern is that since this comes under immigration control, the consulate may not be in the best position to confirm this.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:49   #383
BHPian

Vandan, sympathies for the incident.

The best thing is to check with the embassy. However, a colleague of mine travelled with a visa that was expiring in 3 months in 2006, if that is of any help.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:51   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
We're really confused. The passport office is shut today and different travel agents are giving different answers.

The US consulate confirms she can travel as long as she is back within the expiry date. However my concern is that since this comes under immigration control, the consulate may not be in the best position to confirm this.
Have you already booked the ticket? Check with the airlines if she can travel with passport expiry on Dec 27.
What I have seen in recent past is the airline employees scrutinize the passport and visa at the source airport itself before giving the boarding pass. Generally airline folks have the latest information on rules and regulations of US immigration.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:59   #385
BHPian

Sorry to hear that. Hope she gets well soon.

You can still travel. India is a member of the six month club, meaning

Quote:
Visitors traveling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States. Citizens of the member countries of the six-month club are exempt from the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay.
Take a print out of this, just in case -

http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trav...n_04162008.pdf
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:49   #386
Senior - BHPian

The six month rule is for applying for a visa, not actual travel.

As long as both passport and visa are valid for the intended duration of stay your mother can travel.

In fact I would suggest AGAINST applying for a new passport - they will cancel the old passport immediately and then by any chance if the new one gets stuck you'll be out of luck.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:06   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
In fact I would suggest AGAINST applying for a new passport - they will cancel the old passport immediately and then by any chance if the new one gets stuck you'll be out of luck.
This is not correct. When the new passport is issued, the old passport will not be cancelled. The new passport will be issued from the date of expiry of the old passport.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:21   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi

This is not correct. When the new passport is issued, the old passport will not be cancelled. The new passport will be issued from the date of expiry of the old passport.
No when u apply for renewal it will be from the date you are applying for renew. Your existing date doesn't matter. And yes they cancel your existing passport and u can not travel on that.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:31   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
THAT is not correct, Pallavi. When you apply for reissue of an expiring passport, your current (expiring) passport is cancelled WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT. This was the case both for my passport in 2009 and my daughter's which is under process now.

Basically they stamp a "Cancelled and returned to holder" or some such, which voids it for travel.

@OP- sorry to heard about your emergency. From what I know, you may be stopped at the airport in India from travelling since your Mom's passport does not have 6 months validity left. But if you carry proof of the emergency, confirmed return ickets (within the visa expiry date) etc., commonsense dictates that you should be able to convince the officials both here and in the US that your Mom will not violate any immigration laws during her travel.

Last edited by noopster : 22nd August 2011 at 13:34.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:13   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
THAT is not correct, Pallavi. When you apply for reissue of an expiring passport, your current (expiring) passport is cancelled WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT. This was the case both for my passport in 2009 and my daughter's which is under process now.

Basically they stamp a "Cancelled and returned to holder" or some such, which voids it for travel.
Thanks for the info noopster. When i asked the passport agent last week, he mentioned what i wrote in my post. This guy says has been an agent since quite sometime. I need to clarify this info again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks