Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:51   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
THAT is not correct, Pallavi. When you apply for reissue of an expiring passport, your current (expiring) passport is cancelled WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT. This was the case both for my passport in 2009 and my daughter's which is under process now.

Basically they stamp a "Cancelled and returned to holder" or some such, which voids it for travel.
And what will happen if you have couple of 10 yr VISA stamps on your passport and the passport expires???

will you need to carry both in future ???
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:05   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
And what will happen if you have couple of 10 yr VISA stamps on your passport and the passport expires???

No, the visa is invalid. This happenned in case of my wife. She had her passport renewed -- her visa till 2017 would be invalid now.

Of cours, she also had her address changed. I don't know if the visa is valid if there is no change.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:56   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
No, the visa is invalid. This happenned in case of my wife. She had her passport renewed -- her visa till 2017 would be invalid now.

Of cours, she also had her address changed. I don't know if the visa is valid if there is no change.
GUYS- please don't pass off stuff as fact if you're not sure of it.

Your US visa is valid till the day it says on the visa PROVIDED YOU HAVE A VALID PASSPORT AT THE TIME OF TRAVEL. It need not be the same passport the visa is stamped in. Obviously you need to carry both passports when travelling.
Check this State Department link to this effect. Some additional T&Cs also stated there...

Edit: Funny how you often find a solution when you're looking for something else.

Original poster's query answered:
My visa will expire while I am in the United States. Is there a problem with that?
No. If the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer at the port of entry (generally an airport) admitted you into the United States for a specific period of time, s/he will note your authorized period of stay on your I-94 card, called an Arrival Departure Record. You will be able to remain in the United States during your authorized period of stay, even if your visa expires during the time you are in the United States. Since Form I-94 documents your authorized stay and is the official record of your permission to be in the U.S., it is very important to keep inside your passport.

Last edited by noopster : 22nd August 2011 at 16:02.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:03   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Thanks for the info noopster. When i asked the passport agent last week, he mentioned what i wrote in my post. This guy says has been an agent since quite sometime. I need to clarify this info again.

Agents are agents, since when did they become hallmark of accuracy?

The day you go to apply for renewal you have to submit the old passport. They immediately stamp "cancelled" and return it to you.

Also @noopster has written about it already, but you visa remains valid even if the old passport is cancelled.

In fact even if you lose your passport and they issue a new one to you, the visa has to be reissued (stamped on the new passport) but you can stay (if you are already in US) till the I-94 runs out - all you need to do is report it and get it re-issued (there will be no hassled unlike in the issue of a new visa).

Last edited by vina : 22nd August 2011 at 16:13.
Old 24th August 2011, 17:13   #395
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Thanks for your help guys.
My parents flew out last night, just hope my mom doesn't face any problems at immigration now
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:12   #396
BHPian

Do I need London visa while going to USA from mumbai ?

I will be traveling Mumbai-> Heathrow-> CO , USA via BA.

As per the site
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/view/visa.form

I GENERALLY need UK transit via.

I am still confused as this GENERALLY is really confusing. Can experts provide help on this?

Also I will be in heathrow terminal 5 for 7-8 hours. Any suggestions how to utilize this time to make it more enjoyable?
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:31   #397
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do I need London visa while going to USA from mumbai ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
I will be traveling Mumbai-> Heathrow-> CO , USA via BA.

As per the site
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/view/visa.form

I GENERALLY need UK transit via.

I am still confused as this GENERALLY is really confusing. Can experts provide help on this?

Also I will be in heathrow terminal 5 for 7-8 hours. Any suggestions how to utilize this time to make it more enjoyable?

AFAIK if you are going to US via Heathrow, you don't need a transit visa. Otherwise you do if you have an Indian passport.

Heathrow is as good/bad as any other airport (better than almost all US airports) for shopping - but everything is expensive, unless you are window shopping.

Otherwise you should spend the time sleeping - find some space and stretch out. Or if your company is up to it (mine would reimburse for any stopovers that last more than 4 hours), go to the lounge and sleep for a few hours.
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:52   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to travel to Dubai soon. A friend of mine who helped me in processing the visa has told me that there is no separate visa copy, but the e-ticket has the details of the visa and I can use it at the check in counter. Could you guys confirm this?

On another note, one doesn't need any copy of the Visa at the origin of travel? I know there is an option of depositing the visa at the destination airport and the immigration counter[?] can verify it once you go there?
Old 30th December 2011, 23:10   #399
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can anyone confirm if the Economy class seats on Lufthansa's Frankfurt - Chennai - Frankfurt flight have the individual entertainment screens (like Jet Airways have?).

TIA!
Old 15th January 2012, 19:15   #400
BHPian

Best route to/from the US of A

Hi,

I will be traveling to US to attend my sister's wedding in Feb 2012. I have been hunting for the best route to take, the one which would save me some money, time and energy.

Browsing through various travel booking websites, consulting the travel agents, etc. has left me exhausted and utterly confused.

The best route as of now seems to be Hyderabad>>Dubai>>US flying by Emirates Airlines. Same route for the return journey too.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Mashmash

MODS: if a thread on this topic exists, please add this to it. Else this thread could serve as a source of information and discussion on this topic.

Last edited by mashmash : 15th January 2012 at 19:17.
Old 15th January 2012, 23:48   #401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best route to/from the US of A

Yes, the best way to go is through Emirates. Less layover times, great service, great comfortable seats from Dubai to US, good Indian food, no problems with luggage, awesome entertainment system(ICE).

I fly AMD-DUBAI-SFO whenever i visit India. It is around 20 hours of journey with 3 hours of layover in between. The schedule is always on time, haven't misplaced luggage in last 3 visits, food is excellent. Shopping at Terminal 3 of Dubai is added bonus.

You haven't mentioned which side you are flying. If its east, there may be direct flights by Air India or Jet Airways. Jet Airways is good option too. But if you are coming to west (CA), please stick to Emirates. Have heard too many problems with other airlines, especially longer flying time, misplaced luggage. Like singapore, korean air, continental, cathay pacific has some 24-33 hours depending on your layover times. Singapore airlines is more costly than Emirates unless you book it very very early. Emirates rates are average. Not too high not too low.

So, i would totally go for Emirates as it saves you time(the lowest if you fly west, no sure about east), energy(less plane changes, less layover wait times, less security check, less walking across terminal as this is in just 1 terminal, just different floors) and money(if you do it early).

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by chevelle : 15th January 2012 at 23:50.
Old 15th January 2012, 23:58   #402
Team-BHP Support

you do not choose a route and book tickets.
You simply go to any booking site, enter your start and destination major city, and pick the cheapest flight
Old 16th January 2012, 00:28   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You simply go to any booking site, enter your start and destination major city, and pick the cheapest flight
Everything basically depends on which city and which side of the country are you travelling to?For example, I live in Houston, so my best option is Cok-Dxb-Houston!Also Emirates is one of the best airlines at this point of time when it comes to food, service, aircraft etc!
Old 16th January 2012, 00:46   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Totally agree. However, for a first timer like me, things like lost luggage, time taken, Visa issues, etc. matter. I have heard that some passengers traveling by British Airways were harassed with respect to visa and other documents when they landed in London. Could be a rumor though.

Anyways, this is exactly what I have been doing all these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Everything basically depends on which city and which side of the country are you travelling to?For example, I live in Houston, so my best option is Cok-Dxb-Houston!Also Emirates is one of the best airlines at this point of time when it comes to food, service, aircraft etc!
My destination is New Orleans and the exact route given by the travel agent is:

Airlines: Emirates

Route: Hyderabad>>Dubai(flight change)>>Dallas(flight change)>>New Orleans

MaSh
Old 16th January 2012, 02:30   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
I have heard that some passengers traveling by British Airways were harassed with respect to visa and other documents when they landed in London. Could be a rumor though.
This used to be the case earlier when you'd land in London in Heathrow airport and would take connecting British Airways (BA) flight from Gatwik airport. It required transit visa to shift to different airport in the city. I heard, but not sure though, that BA is no longer doing this silly thing and is getting the same airport for both legs of the journey. You'd of course double-check before booking.

For the rest, you'd buy the cheapest return journey having reasonable schedules - be it Lufthansa, Emirates, KLM, American, Delta, Air France whatever. Emirates is as good as any with rather liberal luggage rules, good food, service et al.

And remember, for return journey, you have to take the same route for the total ticket to be economical.

Also, the fares are quite dynamic. Today one airline is available cheap, tomorrow it could be another. If you have luxury of time, you can keep tabs on various routes / airline for a few days before booking.

In case there is any uncertainty of journey, then also check the refund rules. The cancellations amounts can vary substantially between different airlines.

Not to mishmash you further, Emirates appears like good bet for you. Make sure you take a good travel insurance too.

Wishing you a pleasant trip with minimal jet lag!
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed