Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 07:04   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best route to/from the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Route: Hyderabad>>Dubai(flight change)>>Dallas(flight change)>>New Orleans
Some routes need a second change of plane. Check other airlines if any one has a one-change route to New Orleans, and then decide if you want to go with Emirates or any other airline.

Like TSK said, you check the fares, and then select the ones with least hops/ changes. In Flight entertainment & all is fine, but after your first couple of flights, you will just want to get across asap.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 08:27   #407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Totally agree. However, for a first timer like me, things like lost luggage, time taken, Visa issues, etc. matter. I have heard that some passengers traveling by British Airways were harassed with respect to visa and other documents when they landed in London. Could be a rumor though.

Anyways, this is exactly what I have been doing all these days
No such issue exists now
Only issue is that if you have a long stopover in london, you sleep on the floor in Heathrow, as their paid lounges are not open to economy class passengers, even if you wish to pay
Old 16th January 2012, 09:19   #408
BHPian

I have flown to New Orleans from Cochin few years ago. My best bet was Emirates.
Leave COK early morning, reach DXB early morning same day. Take the morning flight to Houston, arrive at Houston mid-day, and take a local to New Orleans. Emirates were kind enough to through check-in my luggage to be collected only at New Orleans. On my way back, took a mid-day flight out of New Orleans, took a connection from Houston same day, reached Dubai in the morning, stayed in Dubai for the whole day, thanks to Emirates. Flew out late in the night, reached home early mornign next day. I dont think it can get comfortable than this. The small breaks in between are good for you to realx and get back to shape
Like many have said here already, Emirates offers the best connections, almost never late, best in class aircrafts and crew and best in class on board entertainment. Not to mention the option to shop/stay in Dubai for a day. All this comes at a reasonable price, if you are booking on time. Last minutes, I guess, are always expensive.
Whenever I fly abroad towards EU or USA, I prefer Emirates. Choose Emirates and you should be in good hands. All other options through the middle east are not comparable to EK.
You may however have some direct flights from HYD, I am not aware of those though.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:34   #409
MCR
BHPian

Just came back from the USA. I took Delta / Air France this time. The route was Bangalore - Paris - Atlanta. No long layovers at all. And yes, my baggage was not delayed. Also the service was excellent, both on Delta and Air France. But the flights to the US are long, thanks to the head winds!
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:27   #410
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Thank You all for the suggestions. Due to some unwanted reasons, could not book the tikets earlier and now having to do them last minute. Emirates is out of the equation due to exorbitant rates.

The next best option is British Airways. Flight path is Hyderabad -> London(2hr Stop) -> Miami -> New Orleans.

Thoughts?
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:36   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You all for the suggestions. Due to some unwanted reasons, could not book the tikets earlier and now having to do them last minute. Emirates is out of the equation due to exorbitant rates.

The next best option is British Airways. Flight path is Hyderabad -> London(2hr Stop) -> Miami -> New Orleans.

Thoughts?
Why don't you do the Hyd-Chicago flight(via delhi -AI) and then i think there's a direct flight to New Orleans on Continental from O'hare..

Other option is do hyd-del-toronto-new orleans

Sorry if these routes were suggested/discussed before ,did not scroll to read any previous posts/suggestions
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 02:07   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Why don't you do the Hyd-Chicago flight(via delhi -AI) and then i think there's a direct flight to New Orleans on Continental from O'hare..

Other option is do hyd-del-toronto-new orleans

Sorry if these routes were suggested/discussed before ,did not scroll to read any previous posts/suggestions
BA flight via London >> Miami seems to be final for now. Hope all goes fine.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:01   #413
Senior - BHPian

I wont recommend flying British Airways in winters, after what happened with me over the last weekend.

Coming back from Boston, the flight got diverted to Frankfurt because Heathrow was shutdown literally, due to 3 inches of snow. I had to spend the night at Frankfurt airport because the German authorities did not give me a day visa and BA crew just abandoned us at the airport. There were close to 40 Indians, since there were 4 BA flights that were diverted to Frankfurt. We had to spend the night on puny, uncomfortable beds with insufficient number of blankets and barely enough food.

All this, when rest of the airports in Europe were getting hit by much more snow and were still operating.

It seems the decision to ground flights even before it snowed was a contingency plan and will be executed every time the same weather situation arises.

Heathrow will always struggle with snow airport admits - Telegraph

So, if its winters, stay away from BA.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:23   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I wont recommend flying British Airways in winters, after what happened with me over the last weekend.
Actually snow in London is a relatively rare event, in the 80s and 90s, and even early last decade, it hardly ever snowed. I was in Cambridge and in 2002 Feb there was some snow one fine day - people told me they hadn't seen snow before in a decade.

Given the above, Heathrow guys can't be blamed too much if they don't make arrangements for snow - you wouldn't expect Bangalore airport to spend money for anti-snow equipment.

On the other hand the treatment BA gives to its passengers in general and its Indian ethinicity passengers in particular is reason enough to avoid flying with them. I have almost always disagreed with people who say racist behaviour is very much in evidence in Britain or US, but in case of BA I would agree in a heartbeat. Their stewards don't talk to you nicely, the service standards depend on the colour of your skin and even whether or not they will waive off one or two extra kg of luggage depends on what passport you hold.

Air France is an equally big culprit in this regard, though not out of any racist behavour but out of sheer incompetence.

If you have to fly a European Airline, I would recommend Lufthansa. But in general, Asian airlines, even no-frills ones, are better.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:35   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Actually snow in London is a relatively rare event, in the 80s and 90s, and even early last decade, it hardly ever snowed.
From the article i quote:
"We went through this last year and it isn't as if snow is something new in Britain. They did buy a lot of snow clearing equipment and people would have expected them to do a lot better."

As for the treatment given out by their staff, part of it could also be how a common indian/asian international traveler used to treat air hostesses as their personal servants. I have always been treated well whenever i have been polite with them. We may have changed but perceptions take a bit longer time to change.
Old 8th February 2012, 19:19   #416
BHPian

Quote:

Coming back from Boston, the flight got diverted to Frankfurt because Heathrow was shutdown literally, due to 3 inches of snow. I had to spend the night at Frankfurt airport because the German authorities did not give me a day visa and BA crew just abandoned us at the airport. There were close to 40 Indians, since there were 4 BA flights that were diverted to Frankfurt. We had to spend the night on puny, uncomfortable beds with insufficient number of blankets and barely enough food.

All this, when rest of the airports in Europe were getting hit by much more snow and were still operating.

It seems the decision to ground flights even before it snowed was a contingency plan and will be executed every time the same weather situation arises.

Quote:
Actually snow in London is a relatively rare event, in the 80s and 90s, and even early last decade, it hardly ever snowed. I was in Cambridge and in 2002 Feb there was some snow one fine day - people told me they hadn't seen snow before in a decade.

Given the above, Heathrow guys can't be blamed too much if they don't make arrangements for snow - you wouldn't expect Bangalore airport to spend money for anti-snow equipment.

On the other hand the treatment BA gives to its passengers in general and its Indian ethinicity passengers in particular is reason enough to avoid flying with them. I have almost always disagreed with people who say racist behaviour is very much in evidence in Britain or US, but in case of BA I would agree in a heartbeat. Their stewards don't talk to you nicely, the service standards depend on the colour of your skin and even whether or not they will waive off one or two extra kg of luggage depends on what passport you hold.

Air France is an equally big culprit in this regard, though not out of any racist behavour but out of sheer incompetence.

If you have to fly a European Airline, I would recommend Lufthansa. But in general, Asian airlines, even no-frills ones, are better.
Quote:
"We went through this last year and it isn't as if snow is something new in Britain. They did buy a lot of snow clearing equipment and people would have expected them to do a lot better."

As for the treatment given out by their staff, part of it could also be how a common indian/asian international traveler used to treat air hostesses as their personal servants. I have always been treated well whenever i have been polite with them. We may have changed but perceptions take a bit longer time to change.
Wow, OK now that's a reason to worry. Nothing much can be done now, as we have got the tickets and are quite upbeat about it.

Our BA flight is from India to London, then on it would be American Airlines to Miami and then to New Orleans. I just hope snow is no longer an issue. Regarding the treatment, we are expecting a little of it and are ready, it has always been there, even in the 80s when dad used to frequent there. However, it has also been noticed, that if one is behaving OK, one is treated OK.

Any pointers for me, that would make the the journey easy and enjoyable. This is a pleasure trip and hope to have a lot of fun.

PS: I have gone through the thread by Sam Kapasi on Air Travel

MaSh
Old 8th February 2012, 20:06   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I didn't know that snow is becoming more frequent in London.

Regarding the treatment meted out to Indians, it is true that many passengers treat the staff pretty poorly as well. Incidents of not exactly decent behaviour are common.

On the other hand I don't agree with reciprocity there - the BA staff uniformly used to treat Indian passengers poorly, in fact good behaviour on your part could invite worse behavious because that was an indication you wouldn't shout at them.

Again, things may have changed, I haven't flown BA in 7 yrs. I just avoid them.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:20   #418
BHPian

Monitoring weather at Heathrow Airport. We would be landing at heathrow on 14 Feb
Attached Thumbnails
The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-heathrow.jpg  

Old 8th February 2012, 22:23   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wont recommend flying British Airways in winters, after what happened with me over the last weekend

.... ... ...

Of course you can blame BA for the treatment you got, but not for the closure of Heathrow, which would have affected all airlines.

Quote:
Given the above, Heathrow guys can't be blamed too much if they don't make arrangements for snow
They can, they can, they can! Speaking as a Brit and an ex-Londoner, I say, Indeed they can, and should be blamed.

Snow is not regular or reliable in UK, as it might be in some mainland-European countries, but it does happen. It is a British joke that, when it happens, everything grinds to a halt. It is not just snow: frost and freezing are regular winter events: I absolutely fail to understand why the world's 2nd busiest airport (? I think) can't keep running through a snow shower, and find it absolutely unacceptable.

Thanks for the ranting opportunity Was thining this as I read the BBC news about Heathrow a day or three ago.

Wishing anyone who has to travel in, or through, Europe, at this time, a successful trip. Stay warm!
Old 18th February 2012, 23:12   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

10 busiest airports in the world.

Dominated by airports in US.
"In the US alone, the international airports at Denver and Dallas are home to 44,314,259 and 48, 473,588 annual passengers respectively. At the Los Angeles airport, the figures stand at 51,957,228, and Chicago's O'Hare handles 56, 142, 269 annual passengers."

http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/10-bus...he-world-.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th February 2012 at 23:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks