Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 14:40   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling by Air : Me and my 2 year old son : Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Hello All,

1. Fresh feed material (Cerelac)
2. Water (restricted to 100ml)
3. Change of clothes (For self and Baby)
4. Diapers and wet wipes
5. Proof of age for baby
6. Favourite soft toy(s)
7. Planned pickup/drop at both airports
8. Hand sanitiser
9. Common medicines for the baby
10. Phone numbers of pediatrician

Quote:
Is there some way to relieve babies of the ear popping? (other than crying)
No
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 14:49   #707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All,

I need to travel with my son who is 22 months old. I expect to take the Air Asia from Bangalore to Kochi. His mother cannot join us since she is busy with her thesis submission. I need to take him to see his cousins, who have assembled after a long-long time and we will never get such an opportunity again.

Reasons apart, If a guy has to travel with his baby on a plane, I could think of only the following check points. Parents on the forum, who have taken Babies on flights before, Let me know if you think of something else.

4. Diapers and wet wipes
5. Proof of age for baby
6. Favourite soft toy(s)

At 22 months, your son is already on regular solids. You don't need cerelac unless its his regular food.

With a flying time of under one hour you actually don't need anything extra.

Diapers and wipes.
I prefer the diaper pants for my son as they are easier to put on.

A spare set of clothes for both the kid and yourself. Just in case he throws up.
Old 26th September 2014, 15:46   #708
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Get the baby to sip a little water. The "swallowing" action stabilizes the pressure.
Old 26th September 2014, 18:31   #709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since your son is still a baby, let him suck on milk from his bottle during take-off & landing. The sucking action relieves ear pressure.

Once he's a little older, you can give him a lollypop to suck on during take-off & landing.

Bangalore to Kochi is local - the flying heights are much lower, and hence, take-off & landing are quicker, so he won't really have a hard time.
Old 27th September 2014, 00:14   #710
BHPian

Re: BOM-EWR on Jet/Air India/United?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Only Air India and United fly non-stop between BOM and EWR. Jet has a stopover at BRU or you could change planes at AUH (Abu Dhabi) into an Etihaad one.
This particular service of Jet has a brief stop over at brussels, but they advertise it as non-stop in some online travel portals.

Has anyone traveled recently on BOM - EWR on United/Air India/Jet? Heard service on Jet has deteriorated in the recent past. Has Air India changed after joining star alliance? Is United any better?
Old 27th September 2014, 01:32   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I need to travel with my son who is 22 months old.
4. Diapers and wet wipes
5. Proof of age for baby
6. Favourite soft toy(s)

Me and wifey started flying when our son was 4 months. It was easier since he used to sleep mostly during the flight (3.5 Hrs; including a 40 mins stop-over)
Our recent flight with him was when he was 13 months. Turned out that we need more preparation.

I understand that your flight is under 1 hour. So you could reduce the quantity of some of the items I have mentioned below.

1. Cerelac (Powdered form only; don't prepare it)- Yes; Cooked food (Mashed Rice/Dal, etc) - No
2. Water - 1 Litre Hot water in Flask. 1 Litre Normal water in Tupperware bottle
3. Clothes (including socks and sweaters/jackets) - 2 Pairs for Baby; 1 Pair each for me and wife.
4. 10 Diapers (Rest in Check-In) and 1 Packet of wet wipes.
5. Photocopy of Birth Certificate.
6. Preferably hand-held toys; Cars and rolling stuff avoid.
7. Someone to drop you and pick up at airports.
8. Take a bottle of Lactogen (or any other brand) milk prepared. Feed the baby as soon as the aircraft starts the take-off run on the runway (Not when its taxing).

Ours is a early morning flight (6:40 AM). So our kid would mostly be sleeping and we feed him milk during take-off and water during landing. But as his breakfast time approaches, we are lucky to be at our stop-over point (inside the aircraft).
So I prepare the Cerelac and wifey feeds him.
I guess you would be lucky not to go through all these.

Good luck and be confident.
Time to be a Super-Dad.
Old 27th September 2014, 10:48   #712
Senior - BHPian

Re: BOM-EWR on Jet/Air India/United?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
This particular service of Jet has a brief stop over at brussels, but they advertise it as non-stop in some online travel portals.
Do they advertise it as a non-stop flight or direct flight? If the former then it is probably a misrepresentation and one can complain to the advertisement standards council. The latter is the technically correct term to use.
Old 27th September 2014, 16:13   #713
BHPian

Hi,

I am traveling from Tokyo narita to Pune in Air India . Tokyo to Delhi and then after 2 hour layover from Delhi to Pune . My question is do I need to checkout my baggage for customs at delhi and check in again for pune flight? In that case is the 2 hour gap sufficient?
Old 29th September 2014, 19:20   #714
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Hi,

I am traveling from Tokyo narita to Pune in Air India . Tokyo to Delhi and then after 2 hour layover from Delhi to Pune . My question is do I need to checkout my baggage for customs at delhi and check in again for pune flight? In that case is the 2 hour gap sufficient?
In my experience, I have had to collect my baggage at my first point of entry and re-checkin the bags again. Two hours should be generally sufficient in Delhi. I will be pleasantly surprised if this is not the case anymore.

The primary reason for doing this; there are hardly any baggage checks for domestic travellers (and no green/red channels for domestic passengers).

Edit#: A friend of mine did NOT have to take his bags out, and had his customs clearance in Mumbai on a Frankfurt-Delhi-Mumbai flight. Things may have changed in the recent past.

Last edited by watfor : 29th September 2014 at 19:41. Reason: edit: potential wrong info
Old 29th September 2014, 19:25   #715
BHPian

Ok, thanks. The bad news is that I just got a mail saying the flight is rescheduled and will now depart 30 mins before, leaving just 90 mins with me to transfer.
Old 29th September 2014, 20:55   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Ok, thanks. The bad news is that I just got a mail saying the flight is rescheduled and will now depart 30 mins before, leaving just 90 mins with me to transfer.
30 minutes they should be able to make up in a long haul flight.
Old 30th September 2014, 05:37   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post

Edit#: A friend of mine did NOT have to take his bags out, and had his customs clearance in Mumbai on a Frankfurt-Delhi-Mumbai flight. Things may have changed in the recent past.
Hoping for the same. I hope this is also valid for Pune. Only immigration should not be a problem. Since the airline is same, I am expecting them to transfer my bags.
Old 30th September 2014, 08:19   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Hoping for the same. I hope this is also valid for Pune. Only immigration should not be a problem. Since the airline is same, I am expecting them to transfer my bags
You will need to take your baggage and clear customs at Delhi before giving your bags back to Air India . Delhi immigration's & baggage handling are quite efficient . You should be able to do all this in less than 60 minutes at most times of day .
Old 30th September 2014, 10:28   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You will need to take your baggage and clear customs at Delhi before giving your bags back to Air India . Delhi immigration's & baggage handling are quite efficient . You should be able to do all this in less than 60 minutes at most times of day .
Ok, thanks! So my worry is confirmed by you!!
I am hoping they remain as efficient as expected tomorrow!!
Old 30th September 2014, 12:21   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
30 minutes they should be able to make up in a long haul flight.
Especially on a long haul the biggest factor is wind, i.e. jet streams and how much it helps or if its it the wrong direction, who much can you avoid by flying a different altitude, slightly different route. And the jetstreams direction are pretty constant depending on the time of the year. That's why you will often find that a specific route going from A to B is always faster then going from B to A. Part of it might be the route, but that is usually not such a big factor, but the jet stream is.

Last night KLM 871 Amsterdam to Delhi in 07h.11min. Never done it that quickly. Going the other way is always well over 08 hours.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks