Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 00:26   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Short Transit time @ CCU on DIB BLR 6E. Challenges any ?

Call up Indigo and place a request for Assistance & make it known that the travellers are senior citizens. The 'ground force' is pretty well oiled and they will ensure that things are taken care of. In case your parents find it difficult to walk briskly then ask for wheelchair assistance from gate to gate. Ramp to Ramp/seat wheelchair assistance is also available but in that case the airline will deboard them after all of the other passengers and that will take up a lot of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Will it be possible to change the flights within the said time ? Need your guidance, since family is travelling for the first time.

Talking to the customer care at goindigo, they said that we could get boarding passes for both the flights at DIB and the luggage will be through checked till BLR. According to Customer care, after deboarding at CCU, there will be a transit area from where we could go to 6E 434 without the security check.

I am concerned if my old parents will be able to make this out and catch the next flight.
Old 19th March 2015, 12:17   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hello guys,

I have a connecting flight from Amsterdam Schiphol airport.

Would be spending nearly 5 hours in the airport for my onwards flight to Delhi.

Is there any restaurants (pocket friendly) in the airport?

Are their any resting couches or something (other than the expensive lounges ofcourse).

Any tips in general - for spending time at this huge airport?
Maybe just to add a bit more; I dont know your final destination, but if it is in Europe and you happen to have a Schengen Visa you could easily pop out of the airport and visit Amsterdam for a few hours. The trains stop right underneath the airport. Once you come out of the gate you could be on the train to Amsterdam within 10-15 minutes. 10 minute train ride gets you to Amsterdam central stationm, right smack in the centre of Amsterdam.

If you prefer to stay at the airport have a look at this:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/FoodRelax.htm

Enjoy, your short time in the Netherlands.

Jeroen
Old 19th March 2015, 15:52   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Maybe just to add a bit more; I dont know your final destination, but if it is in Europe and you happen to have a Schengen Visa you could easily pop out of the airport and visit Amsterdam for a few hours. The trains stop right underneath the airport. Once you come out of the gate you could be on the train to Amsterdam within 10-15 minutes. 10 minute train ride gets you to Amsterdam central stationm, right smack in the centre of Amsterdam.

If you prefer to stay at the airport have a look at this:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/FoodRelax.htm

Enjoy, your short time in the Netherlands.

Jeroen
Thanks for that information, Jeroen.

My final destination is New Delhi (Flying in from Denmark). Yes i have a Schengen Visa though. I guess before out stamp on Visa i could still roam around Amsterdam.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th March 2015 at 15:57.
Old 19th March 2015, 16:41   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that information, Jeroen.

My final destination is New Delhi (Flying in from Denmark). Yes i have a Schengen Visa though. I guess before out stamp on Visa i could still roam around Amsterdam.
Please check if your Schengen visa is multiple entry. In my experience, short term Schengen's are mostly issued as multi entry. In any case, you should not have a problem as you are traveling within Schengen. I don't think there is any out stamp on the visa, only a stamp at entry.
Old 19th March 2015, 16:45   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Please check if your Schengen visa is multiple entry. In my experience, short term Schengen's are mostly issued as multi entry. In any case, you should not have a problem as you are traveling within Schengen. I don't think there is any out stamp on the visa, only a stamp at entry.
Sorry didn't get the Out stamp part.

Don't the passport control put a stamp with date while leaving from the Shengen area? (on the same page where "in stamped" on the day of arrival)

How do they record the official out date of the traveller then?
Old 19th March 2015, 16:56   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry didn't get the Out stamp part.

Don't the passport control put a stamp with date while leaving from the Shengen area? (on the same page where "in stamped" on the day of arrival)

Passport scanned and recorded in the system when you go through immigration. In my experience, lot of countries do not put an out stamp (at least for multi entry visas). USA, UK and the entire Schengen block. Have visited most of the Schengen countries on several short term visas over the last 18 years, and I can't once remember my passport being stamped while leaving. In the USA, there is a counterfoil of the immigration card which has to be returned when you leave, no passport stamp.

In any case, I would not really worry since Denmark and Holland are both in Schengen.
Old 20th March 2015, 15:42   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Most small airports just have in-transit passengers redirect to the common security check area,
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I traveled from GAU to BLR via CCU in Nov 2014 on Indigo. From what I remember, you need to go through security again when you transit in CCU. The transit area at CCU will lead to the check-in area after which you will have to pass through security to reach the departure area. Please reconfirm this again with Indigo customer care. Although I had approx 4hrs layover, I think 1hr should be fine for transit. CCU is a nice modern airport and it is easy to get around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
+1. Indigo is almost never late and the ground staff is very helpful, unlike the 'leading' carrier.

Don't hesitate to ask for help (esp. if you're with elderly parents) and you should do fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
With these four pieces falling into place: (a) through check-in of baggage, (b) onward boarding passes issued at Dibrugarh itself, (c) airline is 6E which generally doesn't get delayed and (d) transit airport in not Mumbai you needn't worry too much - an hour is ample. It has been a while since I've been to Kolkata and I understand they've since rebuilt the terminal building there, but I expect transit access is still a breeze.

6E's ground assistance is exemplary too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is true for all airports in India and elsewhere; not just CCU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Call up Indigo and place a request for Assistance & make it known that the travellers are senior citizens. The 'ground force' is pretty well oiled and they will ensure that things are taken care of. In case your parents find it difficult to walk briskly then ask for wheelchair assistance from gate to gate. Ramp to Ramp/seat wheelchair assistance is also available but in that case the airline will deboard them after all of the other passengers and that will take up a lot of time.
Thanks a ton Sir's, For your kind reply. Gives more confidence on transit. Will educate my parents and keep you posted on the outcome
Old 20th March 2015, 22:31   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You exit the airport after getting off your Denmark (I assume CPH)-AMS flight, roam around and return, clear security, immigration and catch your flight to DEL.

I don't see any exit stamps on any of my visits. I don't know if they do stamp for single entry though, as all my visits were on multiple entries.
Old 20th March 2015, 22:37   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Each time you enter or leave the any Euro state the passport control will stamp the in/out in your passport.
Old 20th March 2015, 23:01   #745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My final destination is New Delhi (Flying in from Denmark). Yes i have a Schengen Visa though. I guess before out stamp on Visa i could still roam around Amsterdam
You will land up at Gates which are meant for travel within Euro Zone - there should not be any passport control & can go out easily , since your Visa is Schengen ( Eurozone & not any country specific ) - multiple or single status does not count until you leave Eurozone

Quote:
Each time you enter or leave the any Euro state the passport control will stamp the in/out in your passport.
I doubt this is correct information , You are stamped at first point of entry in Eurozone and then stamped for exit whenever you leave Eurozone - you will find different terminals / gates handling departures / arrivals for EuroZone & rest destinations .

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th March 2015 at 23:09.
Old 20th March 2015, 23:44   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
To be terminology specific it should be Schengen area (which pertains to border control) not EU (which is more of an economic alliance). The reason why Schengen visa was brought at the first place was to get rid of passport control within member nations. UK, Ireland, Romania are EU states but not part of Schengen area.

Apart from random checks in rail, there is no formal border control if you travel within Schengen states. In airports the gates are separated in such a way that you pass border control only when you need to exit Schengen area (For example: Paris-Dubai or Paris-London).

In the half a dozen times I've travelled, they just stamp while entering and never when exiting. Infact Schengen stamps are pretty cryptic, I can't even figure out the dates stamped in them (as opposed to MAA immigration stamps ).
Old 21st March 2015, 00:03   #747
BHPian

Ok..am in a spot of bother. My wife has ORDERED me to get a baby stroller from the USA. It comes with an infant seat and car base. The packing dimensions (L+H+W) is 75 inches. So the airline requirements are no more than 62 inches. Would be travelling Air India from USA to India on this Friday. The weight of the baggage was 20 kilos. According to Air INdia baggage allowances, the maximum allowance for a single baggage is 62 inches and am entitled to check in two bags max of 23 kilos each and dimensions not exceeding 62 inches. The catch here is that they have another policy that the added dimensions of both should not exceed 107 inches.

I have managed to split the stroller into two. One with the car base and the infant seat to a 63 inch total dimension baggage. Am carrying the stroller part (bubbled wrap for extra safety) in a duffel bag which would measure another 62 inches.

1) First baggage is 1 inch above the limit of 62 inches. Is this going to be a problem?
2) How finicky is Air India regarding these two bags adding upto 107 inches thingie?
3) Since one of them would hardly weigh like 10 kilos (instead of the 23 kilos), can i ask them for a bargain to discount the size for the lack of weight?
4) The excess baggage would cost me 200 USD but my wife says she has to HAVE this particular stroller only! . So my life would depend on it to get this to India hook or crook.

Note: The baby is not travelling with me on the flight. Otherwise all of them could have gone with his luggage!

So any parents with stroller experience please guide. Trollers please keep away!
Old 21st March 2015, 00:52   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
1) First baggage is 1 inch above the limit of 62 inches. Is this going to be a problem?
2) How finicky is Air India regarding these two bags adding upto 107 inches thingie?
Should be fine. I don't think an inch over the regulated size will be a concern for them. They are bothered more about the weight as IATA has some strict rules (single baggage can't be more than 32 KGs) around it due to airport staff's health and safety.

I haven't carried a stroller but had to carry an exhibition booth (portable one) with me because of last minute participation. It was around 40 KGs and the dimension of the box exceeded 62 inches. I had to remove some of the stuff from inside to keep it within 32 KGs but they didn't bother me about the size of baggage. I had to collect it from the designated area for over-sized baggage.
Old 21st March 2015, 07:06   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
To be terminology specific it should be Schengen area (which pertains to border control) not EU (which is more of an economic alliance).
A Euro state should mean a country using Euro as its currency, which is a different beast altogether.

For example:

UK belongs to EU but not Eurozone and not Schengen.
Switzerland belongs Schengen but not EU and not Eurozone.
Montenegro belongs to Eurozone but not EU and not Schengen.
Denmark belongs to EU and Schengen but not Eurozone.
Ireland belongs to EU and Eurozone but not Schengen.

(couldn't recall a country that belongs to Eurozone and Schengen but not to EU.).

Also, EU is not just an economic alliance but also involves common legislature and judiciary for all member states (its predecessor EEC was, though).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 19:27   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Ok..am in a spot of bother. My wife has ORDERED me to get a baby stroller from the USA. It comes with an infant seat and car base. The packing dimensions (L+H+W) is 75 inches. So the airline requirements are no more than 62 inches. Would be travelling Air India from USA to India on this Friday. The weight of the baggage was 20 kilos.

3) Since one of them would hardly weigh like 10 kilos (instead of the 23 kilos), can i ask them for a bargain to discount the size for the lack of weight?
Your stroller luggage is probably going to be checked in as an oversized luggage. Air India allows 2 checked in or one? If its one, you can dump couple of kilos to the oversized and take the other as a hand luggage.

Have you explored the shipping option?

Most Viewed