Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 19:37   #766
Team-BHP Support

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Binand / Rev Gear - Thanks for your feedback.
Oh dear!!! What have I let myself in for!
Guess, will try for a transit visa & do some sightseeing AD.
Regards,
AJ
I'm sure there will be multiple lounges in the airport. What airline are you flying? I think that makes a large difference on how the lounge will be.

Here is a list http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/englis...rport-lounges/
Old 9th April 2015, 09:25   #767
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm sure there will be multiple lounges in the airport. What airline are you flying? I think that makes a large difference on how the lounge will be.

Here is a list http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/englis...rport-lounges/
Thanks.
I am flying by Jet-Etihad. I just checked & the reviews for Etihad's Business Lounge are pretty decent.
So should be able to manage, I guess.
Decided to try Jet-Etihad, since I get to fly Pune-Chicago & back without the tiring midnight drives (with some sleepy driver!) to Mumbai!
Wont know if it was a good idea till after!
Regards,
AJ
Old 9th April 2015, 11:23   #768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Thanks.
I am flying by Jet-Etihad. I just checked & the reviews for Etihad's Business Lounge are pretty decent.
So should be able to manage, I guess.
Decided to try Jet-Etihad, since I get to fly Pune-Chicago & back without the tiring midnight drives (with some sleepy driver!) to Mumbai!
Wont know if it was a good idea till after!
Regards,
AJ
I too think it will be fine, Etihad like most other Middle Eastern carriers is opulent, and I would expect their lounge to be no less.

Having the US Immigration will at Abu Dhabi will also be a big convenience since that will mean no lines at O'Hare (used to be bad, dunno about now).
Old 9th April 2015, 12:15   #769
BHPian

Quote:
I too think it will be fine, Etihad like most other Middle Eastern carriers is opulent, and I would expect their lounge to be no less.
I just hope for AJo's sake they have moved into a new improved lounge in the last one year. The ones I have been to in Abu Dhabi (2 of them, last being in May 2014) were quite terrible. Can't remember which terminals and stuff, but really the airport is nothing more than a busy bus station with x-ray screening machines, so it was all the same.

Having taken a few trips on Etihad and Qatar Airways (so called opulent Middle Eastern carriers), I can safely say that their marketing skill is not matched by the flying experience. I don't have anything against them and would be happy to take them again if required, but they are most certainly not "opulent" from a passenger's standpoint. Likes of Emirates, SIA, BA, etc. are in a completely different league as we speak today. Also, quite often, opulence does not equate to class.

On the bright side, they have been doing construction and renovation work at AUH airport, so hopefully they will have some improvement in the lounge facilities.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:34   #770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Having taken a few trips on Etihad and Qatar Airways (so called opulent Middle Eastern carriers), I can safely say that their marketing skill is not matched by the flying experience. I don't have anything against them and would be happy to take them again if required, but they are most certainly not "opulent" from a passenger's standpoint. Likes of Emirates, SIA, BA, etc. are in a completely different league as we speak today. Also, quite often, opulence does not equate to class.
The opulence is in J or F. In economy its all the same IMO. Also lets not put BA in the same line as Singapore Airlines and Emirates. Doesn't something like the Etihad apartment or residence match up to, and even beat the Emirates first class?
Old 9th April 2015, 12:49   #771
BHPian

Quote:
The opulence is in J or F. In economy its all the same IMO. Also lets not put BA in the same line as Singapore Airlines and Emirates. Doesn't something like the Etihad apartment or residence match up to, and even beat the Emirates first class?
My travel has mostly been in J, some times in Economy. Don't have experience of First Class. Anyway, all of this is a subjective matter of preference. As I said, I would be happy to take Etihad again and have no real complaints against them. The AUH airport and lounges that I have experienced is a different matter entirely.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:58   #772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My travel has mostly been in J, some times in Economy. Don't have experience of First Class. Anyway, all of this is a subjective matter of preference. As I said, I would be happy to take Etihad again and have no real complaints against them. The AUH airport and lounges that I have experienced is a different matter entirely.
It definitely is subjective, and I've never flown through AUH so your comments on the airport do surprise me.

On a separate note, how have you guys found the Mumbai J lounge? I found it a bit too crowded and nothing too special, after hearing people rave about it.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 9th April 2015 at 13:08.
Old 9th April 2015, 15:25   #773
BHPian

Quote:
On a separate note, how have you guys found the Mumbai J lounge? I found it a bit too crowded and nothing too special, after hearing people rave about it.
I presume you are referring to international departure lounges. Different airlines have different lounges - I have used BA, Emirates and also the general open lounge (is it Clipper Lounge?) which is used by a lot of airlines as well as priority pass, mastercard, etc. All of them are quite small, so if you end up at a time when there are a lot of departures, it will feel crowded. Main problem is that all of the lounges are in enclosed spaces with no outside views or light coming in. This is the worst thing to happen to a person who has to spend hours at the airport. That cooped up feeling.

What I will say is that the current lounges are a significant improvement over the previous lot of Celebrations lounge and whatever else. I would frankly prefer to sit out rather than in those lounges.
Old 10th April 2015, 06:29   #774
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
I just hope for AJo's sake they have moved into a new improved lounge in the last one year. The ones I have been to in Abu Dhabi (2 of them, last being in May 2014) were quite terrible.
Looking at some of the reviews on the net, it seems that there has been a definite improvement in the lounge facilities since last couple of months. Before 2015, the reviews for the lounge facilities are horrendous.

Well! Fingers crossed on how it turns out for me. Will certainly post a review here so that other people get an idea.

Regards,
AJ
Old 29th May 2015, 14:44   #775
Team-BHP Support

Re: A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Does anyone know where to get yellow fever vaccination in Bangalore? The WHO certificate is required too.
Old 29th May 2015, 16:12   #776
Senior - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does anyone know where to get yellow fever vaccination in Bangalore? The WHO certificate is required too.
A friend of mine who recently traveled to Kenya, got his yellow fever vaccination done at Bowring & Lady Curzon Hospital in Shivajinagar. No idea about the WHO certificate.

From what I could gather from him, only Govt. Hospitals/Doctors are authorized to give these shots. Not very sure though.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:45   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I'd posted about this some months (more than a year?) back but my elderly parents hadn't made plans to travel to the US till now.

They are visiting my sister in the US - closest airport is Atlanta, Georgia. They will be travelling from Trivandrum. My sister has asked them to specifically take the immigration point as Washington - so that they can take Emirates from Dubai to Washington. But dad is really, really worried about having to move the baggage by themselves in Washington and then take a Domestic flight to Atlanta. He is even willing to take Delta all the way to Atlanta - something my sister is dead against. Sister warns us that the Delta flights are pathetic - with really bad service and even they are not comfortable. Also, they can only carry less amount of baggage - which will surely be a problem when they are travelling back. They will have to buy very less stuff when travelling back. And since this is their first visit to the US, sister wants them to splurge on buying anything they want and not worry about baggage.

We have all tried to explain to him that there will be people to help at airports and that he can ask for help to people with getting the baggage onto trolleys etc. Also suggested the option of requesting for wheelchairs so even baggage will be taken care of by someone.

Your feedback guys?
I'd asked this years back. Finally, folks travelled and I was with them too

So we took British Airways and requested for wheelchair assistance. Transit was Heathrow. Wheelchair assistance was very smooth and neat at Bangalore Airport and Atlanta. However, it was a bit harrowing at Heathrow with one of the staff abusing other elderly passengers. Thankfully, my folks were spared the abuse and the person who helped them was really nice to them. All in all a good experience.

When they are travelling back, hope there are no issues. I am back in India already.

And btw, it was a breeze at Atlanta airport too. No trouble at all.
Old 21st June 2015, 22:51   #778
BHPian

I am flying New Delhi - Vancouver in august. Any review for our very own desi Jet Airways? is coach class bearable for 9:30 hours?
Old 21st June 2015, 22:54   #779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
I am flying New Delhi - Vancouver in august. Any review for our very own desi Jet Airways? is coach class bearable for 9:30 hours?
Depends on whether getting a business seat is possible. If business seat is possible, then coach is not bearable, but if business seat isn't possible then coach is bearable.
Old 21st June 2015, 23:25   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on whether getting a business seat is possible. If business seat is possible, then coach is not bearable, but if business seat isn't possible then coach is bearable.

But what i really meant was whether Jet economy is good enough in legroom, food and the smiles department

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks