Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 01:14   #781
Team-BHP Support

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Jet economy is good enough in legroom, food and the smiles department
I will say this is better amongst other options like Air China / China Eastern .. You will get Desi food on Delhi - London / Brussels segment

Quote:
is coach class bearable for 9:30 hours?
How come 9 1/2 hours to Vancouver - it will take this time only for one segment & must have connecting flight with Air Canada or BA which again are amongst better than other US / European carriers . There used to be some very competitive prices on Delhi - Vancouver segment in business via Air China / China eastern in past - do check . If you must fly economy another convenient option will be Cathay

Trouble in economy will be felt more in second leg of your journey irrespective of airline you travel & the Layover time of anything beyond 4 hours becomes difficult . Jet normally does not have over counter Business class upgrade to my knowledge , you can try this online to check upgrade options

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Plan...neUpgrade.aspx

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd June 2015 at 01:25.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:35   #782
Team-BHP Support

Guys can bags be checked all the way to the destination even if airlines are being changed at a stopover?

For eg, now Delta has stopped India operations and they have a flight form Dubai. Now if I fly Jet/Emirates to Dubai (different pnr from Dubai onwards), can be bags be checked to my destination on Delta? Or will I have to get a transit visa or something and go and collect and re check my bags.

Also if Delta, and Emirates/Jet are on one alliance, I think they should be able to check the bags all the way through right?

Have wondered about this.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 23rd June 2015 at 18:37.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:58   #783
BHPian

Recently I travelled from Denver to Singapore with the stopover at LA. I travelled business class from Denver to LA with United and From LA to Singapore Business class with Singapore Airlines. They checked-in my luggage at Denver till Singapore.

But, from Singapore--> LA-->Denver, I need to take my luggage at LA and go through the customs as it is the first port of entry and checkin again till Denver.
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:23   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys can bags be checked all the way to the destination even if airlines are being changed at a stopover?

Changing airlines is not a problem. Most of time you will have a different airlines for the connection. Bags will NOT be checked through when the two itineraries are not on the same ticket. There is no way for the airlines to co-ordinate amongst them.
For your case look for Delta ticket through Dubai with a codeshare flight between India and Dubai.
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:00   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

For eg, now Delta has stopped India operations and they have a flight form Dubai. Now if I fly Jet/Emirates to Dubai (different pnr from Dubai onwards), can be bags be checked to my destination on Delta? Or will I have to get a transit visa or something and go and collect and re check my bags.

Also if Delta, and Emirates/Jet are on one alliance, I think they should be able to check the bags all the way through right?

I was in a similar situation recently, with Lufthansa and SAS.

In my case the baggage was carried all the way to the final desitnation airport, however from Delhi airport i only got Boarding pass for my first airline (Lufthansa).

I think this more or less depends on partnership between different airlines.

If both airlines fall under "STAR Alliance" then nothing to worry about. Even if they don't fall under any alliance as such, they could still have partnership. Its very rare not to have this kind of partnership.
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:17   #786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes your bags will be checked through to your end destination if you inform agent your second PNR at time of getting your boarding pass . You may or may not be able to get your Boarding pass for your second leg though - this will be dependent on alliance between two airlines . I used to get my luggage checked in for Calgary- Vancouver - Delhi at Calgary but will occasionally get boarding pass at Calgary for my second leg with a different carrier . This will be true with all major carriers except low cost . I will suggest you to online check-in for your second leg at airport if they take your bags through and you can simply get a printed pass at Gate before boarding your second flight .
Quote:
Most of time you will have a different airlines for the connection. Bags will NOT be checked through when the two itineraries are not on the same ticket. There is no way for the airlines to co-ordinate amongst them.
This is not correct - they work on either Amadeus or Sabre at back-end

Quote -

In recent years more and more airlines have stopped running their own reservation systems and have become clients of systems such as Amadeus and Sabre who provide hosting services. Where this occurs a single PNR (with just one record locator) may be created in the hosting system containing details of all the flights for which that hosting system is responsible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_locator

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd June 2015 at 20:25.
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:18   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Bags will NOT be checked through when the two itineraries are not on the same ticket. There is no way for the airlines to co-ordinate amongst them.
I might be wrong on this (been a while since I travelled), but I don't think the original question can have such an absolute answer. It all depends on the two airlines involved. If the second airline accepts interline check-in requests from the first one, then both boarding cards can be issued at the origin station itself. Even if the second airline refuses the interline check-in request, the origin station can still print and attach baggage tags meant for the final destination (which would allow the transit airport's baggage handling system to automatically route the bags to the right onward flight) - though there might be procedures for the passenger to follow at the transit airport.

A barebones Wikipedia article exists on interlining: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining

To the OP: EK lists DL as an interlining partner, so you might be in luck. This is the sort of thing cleartrips and the likes of the world currently cannot help; you need a good travel agent who understands the GDS thoroughly.
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:07   #788
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, let me get a definite answer for this. Have asked an uncle who works with DL, as to what the procedure will be, and whether it will be possible. Will update you guys with the answer I receive.
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:57   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

This is not correct - they work on either Amadeus or Sabre at back-end
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It all depends on the two airlines involved.
Sorry if my answer was ambiguous. Most multi-airline tickets have different PNRs for each airlines but one Sabre/Amadeus record locator but they use the interlining as rightly pointed out. EK can do the interlining for most airlines including Oneworld/Skyteam and Star Alliance carriers even for a different ticket. However more often than not it is not possible when you do this hypothetically
a) Buy one ticket BOM-DX-BOM on Jet Airways or Emirates.
b) Buy another ticket DXB-ATL-DXB on Delta
Then ask to check the baggage through to ATL. Delta has been notorious flip flopping on the issue in recent years. They announced in 2013 they will not interline and then reversed it in 2014 and I have no idea whether they still are doing it. Given that you will deal with Jet/Emirates first, it is a risk and if you know someone in Delta he will be the correct person to ask.

AA around end of 2014 announced that they will not allow anymore interlining outside oneworld alliance. On top of that there is also a problem of baggage rule for US carriers who are out there making money with their second paid baggage policy.

But the same is possible when you book a BOM-DXB-ATL-DXB-BOM on the same JET/EK and DL in a single ticket but Delta's ticket. They will interline even across alliances provided it is on the same ticket.
Old 24th June 2015, 00:33   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to confuse the topic even more but just to add one more variant when you can't check your luggage through, even flying with the same airline on two legs. If you fly, say Delhi to Kansas City via Newark with Delta, or previously AA. You would get your two boarding passes in Delhi, but you would have to go through USA immigration, pick up your luggage at Newark, take it through customs and recheck it toward the final USA destination, Kansas City.

So it can also dependent on where you have to enter the country (immigration) and customs.

Jeroen
Old 24th June 2015, 01:30   #791
BHPian

That is Dept of Homeland Security policy. There is no concept of transiting through US without going through Passport Control and Customs. It really looks ancient when one looks at Schengen countries.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:43   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is Dept of Homeland Security policy. There is no concept of transiting through US without going through Passport Control and Customs. It really looks ancient when one looks at Schengen countries.
Not sure whether it is different in Schengen countries.
Suppose you fly from Delhi to Paris, France via Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

You will have to pass immigrations at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and that gets you cleared to move within all Schengen countries. So from an immigration point of view it is identical as in the USA. You clear immigrations at the first entry in the USA and first entry in Schengen. Once cleared passport/immigration at your first port of entry you can travel freely without passport/immigration checks all over the USA or all through Schengen countries.

A "Schengen airport" has physical separation between Schengen terminals/gates and non Schengen terminals/gates and destinations.

In most cases you lugage will be checked through to your final destination. So this is unlike in the USA where you pass through customs at the first port of entry.

Schengen is a 'passport/immigration' treaty, customs is a local (country) specific thing. In most European countries custom control these days is just a red and a green lane. Declare and nothing to declare.
Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 24th June 2015 at 10:44.
Old 24th June 2015, 11:14   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Same is the case in India and in most other countries where you have to take a domestic connection from the point of entry. The logic is that there is no separation of domestic and international passengers on a domestic flight, so as an international passenger you have to clear customs and immigration at the first point of entry. The painful part in the case of India and US is having to collect bags and go through check-in procedures again at first point of entry. In many countries the bags can be transferred directly.

One of the strangest experiences I had was when going to Koh Samui many years back, transiting through Bangkok. The procedure in Thailand was that not just bags, but immigration formalities could also be done at the final destination, so we did not have to go through immigration at Bangkok. But when we landed at Koh Samui, there was no separation between international passengers and domestic passengers, and all of us disembarked together. I could have literally walked out of the airport without showing my passport to anybody. My wife and I were the only 2 transfer passengers and when we reached the terminal we asked the airport staff for immigration. Immigration happened to be a desk at one side of the airport where there was nobody sitting! We actually waited for 10 minutes for someone to come to the immigration desk and stamp our passports before walking out. I am sure things must have changed a lot since then.
Old 24th June 2015, 11:30   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
One of the strangest experiences I had was when going to Koh Samui many years back, transiting through Bangkok. The procedure in Thailand was that not just bags, but immigration formalities could also be done at the final destination, so we did not have to go through immigration at Bangkok. But when we landed at Koh Samui, there was no separation between international passengers and domestic passengers, and all of us disembarked together. I could have literally walked out of the airport without showing my passport to anybody. My wife and I were the only 2 transfer passengers and when we reached the terminal we asked the airport staff for immigration. Immigration happened to be a desk at one side of the airport where there was nobody sitting! We actually waited for 10 minutes for someone to come to the immigration desk and stamp our passports before walking out. I am sure things must have changed a lot since then.
I think this has changed now. Last year when I traveled BLR-BKK-HKT, I had to pass immigration in Bangkok and then board the domestic flight to Phuket. However, i had received my boarding pass at Bangalore itself and the luggage had been checked through to Phuket. Both legs were on the same airline though.

I rechecked thing with the airline on where I had to pass through immigration so as to book a later connecting flight to allow me to have sufficient time to clear it. Earlier I had heard that immigration was to be done at Phuket and that international passengers who were to pass immigration were given a coloured sticker (to be pasted on their clothes) to differentiate them from domestic passengers.
Old 24th June 2015, 15:38   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Does anyone have experience transferring to the TGV train at De Gaulle airport in Paris? I have a connection from CDG airport to Lyon by TGV in a couple of weeks time, and it would be useful to know if there are some things I need to keep in mind. Also, how much time does it take, is it harder with luggage, etc. We will be landing at terminal 2E and connection time is just over 1.5 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You should be able to make it. i trust you have your TGV tickets already.
The TGV station is below terminal 2. Very convenient.
My quick views on transferring from Air France arrival to TGV at Charles de Gaulle airport. We had this experience in mid April and thought I will share it for anyone else planning such a transit.

First, some advice - allow for enough time. We had more than 1.5 hours and were struggling to make our connection, even though our flight landed at the same terminal as the TGV station and was on time.

Three main issues - immigration queues are endless, you have to do miles of walking and CDG's world (in)famous problems with putting up clear signage.

Both while entering the country as well as departing, we had to endure waits of over 45 min to go through immigration. CDG airport has a lot of counters, but what is very perplexing is that no more than one-third of them were manned at any point of time. And what really irritates is to see some of the staff randomly vacate their counters without anyone replacing them, while you are and 93 others in the queue ahead of you are waiting their turn.

Then after you exit from customs, you have to figure out a way to get to the TGV station. This requires at least 15 min walk, plus various lifts and stairs. At every stage you are wondering if you are on the right track. If your group includes 2 or more persons, I can guarantee that each will want to go in a different direction based on reading the signs. But this is typical of CDG airport, I guess. Even at the TGV ticket counter, there are various lifts. It requires some very careful reading to figure out which one will go to the TGV platform. When you are at the point of missing your train, it can be quite irritating.

Finally we made the TGV platform literally 1 min before the train departure. I was certain all through that we were going to miss the train (while my wife was a lot more peaceful and philosophical). Finally the train left 5 min late!

This turned out to be a very convenient and economical connection for us and the TGV is very comfortable and fast. Just allow some time for dealing with CDG airport and you will be fine.

Most Viewed