Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:56   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Anybody has any experience of China southern airlines? I intend to travel to Auckland, new Zealand and this airline is coming out to be cheapest and with least transit time. The next on list is Singapore airlines but it's a cool 40k more ( for two people). Please advice and help.
I travel to Guangzhou on this airline, few times a year. Good Airline, at least for my route where there is no other option. Always on time, food is good.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:58   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Anybody has any experience of China southern airlines? I intend to travel to Auckland, new Zealand and this airline is coming out to be cheapest and with least transit time. The next on list is Singapore airlines but it's a cool 40k more ( for two people). Please advice and help.
If you are flying via Shanghai [PVG] be aware that both legs of this flight IGI-PVG and return are invariably delayed and lead to close saves with connections!
Old 13th January 2016, 10:53   #843
BHPian

Guys,

I need to know if anyone has travelled to Canada with a visa (business) on a cancelled passport. I had Canada visa expiring in 2019, but my pasport ran out of pages so I got it renewed. Now my old passport with canada visa is cancelled and I have my new passport.
I want to know if I can travel to Canada with both passport and will I be allowed based on visa in my cancelled passport. I know this is ok with US but I am getting confused answers for Canada. The VFS global helpline says I need to transfer my visa to new passport and only then I can travel.

Anybody who has done this before?

Thanks!
Old 13th January 2016, 11:06   #844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Guys,

I need to know if anyone has travelled to Canada with a visa (business) on a cancelled passport. I had Canada visa expiring in 2019, but my pasport ran out of pages so I got it renewed. Now my old passport with canada visa is cancelled and I have my new passport.
I want to know if I can travel to Canada with both passport and will I be allowed based on visa in my cancelled passport. I know this is ok with US but I am getting confused answers for Canada. The VFS global helpline says I need to transfer my visa to new passport and only then I can travel.

Thanks!
I did a US trip last year with the Visa still on the old passport. Just had to carry both the passports. Not sure if the rule is similar for Canada.
Old 13th January 2016, 14:29   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks!
Very much possible. Please see page 74 (clause 13.18) in the attached manual from the Canadian government.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf enf04-eng.pdf (1.02 MB, 1547 views)
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 14:36   #846
Senior - BHPian

In April 2010, I saw an interesting thing at Munich airport.

We were standing in queue for check-in. The passengers who had arrived by air were exiting through the same hall!

It was the only time I saw departing and arriving passengers not isolated.
Old 13th January 2016, 14:42   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
In April 2010, I saw an interesting thing at Munich airport.

We were standing in queue for check-in. The passengers who had arrived by air were exiting through the same hall!

It was the only time I saw departing and arriving passengers not isolated.
Not unique, my home country, Amsterdam Airport springs to mind. Only separation is between Schengen and non-Schengen.

Also, in the USA many airports mix, my previous home airport Kansas City Intern. mixed as well.

BR Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:11   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Very much possible. Please see page 74 (clause 13.18) in the attached manual from the Canadian government.
My query is also the same... but for Schengen states (Netherlands in particular). Would a valid visa on old passport fine?
Old 13th January 2016, 18:36   #849
BHPian

Quote:
I had seen this. It talks about "Expired" passport. This was possible as it states till a few years back, now they dont give Visas beyond passport expiry date.

Anyway, the agent for my organization (Thomas Cook) advised to get the Visa transferred to new passport. This is exclusively for the Canadian visa! They have asked to keep the visas only on the current passport and not on cancelled passport. I am travelling in just 2 weeks, hoping that this will get done by that time! Fingers crossed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
My query is also the same... but for Schengen states (Netherlands in particular). Would a valid visa on old passport fine?
As I mentioned, this is Canada specific. I did call the VFS global helpline number for Canada, you should try doing the same.
Old 13th January 2016, 19:05   #850
BHPian

Quote:
I had seen this. It talks about "Expired" passport. This was possible as it states till a few years back, now they dont give Visas beyond passport expiry date.

Anyway, the agent for my organization (Thomas Cook) advised to get the Visa transferred to new passport. This is exclusively for the Canadian visa! They have asked to keep the visas only on the current passport and not on cancelled passport. I am travelling in just 2 weeks, hoping that this will get done by that time! Fingers crossed!!
I don't think there is any distinction between cancelled and expired passport. I have been in the same situation of traveling on a new passport (with valid visas in old passport) when I ran out of visa pages. This was never a problem. In my current passport, both my US and Canada visas have validity beyond the passport expiry date. Maybe they have changed this policy recently.

Don't know about the concept of visa transfer as I have not come across this before. All the best!
Old 13th January 2016, 21:57   #851
BHPian

Quote:

Don't know about the concept of visa transfer as I have not come across this before. All the best!
Lucky you!
Do you mean you traveled to Canada (Not US) with your visa in the older passport? I am in dilemma right now, so I will go with what my organization says (Or for that matter the agent says)
Old 14th January 2016, 09:06   #852
BHPian

Valid visa on old passport works well for US. This is confirmed as my close friend was able to use it and returned back without being deported
Old 14th January 2016, 18:10   #853
BHPian

^^ I mailed Canadian embassy and they confirmed a transfer of visa to new passport is required, this seems to have changed recently at least for Canadian travels. For US, old passports with Visa is okay!
Figopian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 14:36   #854
BHPian

Just noticed that AI flights to US (Mum-Newark), (DEL-ORD) and (Del-SFO) flights are flying over the northern tip of EU-Canada and then to US. Is this normal ? Earlier they used to fly through central EU to US. Just curious.

Last edited by 2500cc : 4th April 2016 at 14:40.
Old 4th April 2016, 18:02   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Just noticed that AI flights to US (Mum-Newark), (DEL-ORD) and (Del-SFO) flights are flying over the northern tip of EU-Canada and then to US. Is this normal ? Earlier they used to fly through central EU to US. Just curious.
More often that not, this has always been the case.
Flights almost always follow great-circle path with exceptions due to weather, jet streams, political reasons etc).
e.g. Flights didnt fly over Ukraine after MH17 was shot down by missile over Ukraine Airpspace; Israili Airlines dont fly over Arabian Peninsula

Do you know what is the flight path from Dubai to Los-Angeles?
Name:  DubaiLos Angeles flight path.gif
Views: 645
Size:  38.6 KB

Shocking, but true!! :-)

What is Great-Circle?
Quoting from Wikipedia:
The great-circle or orthodromic distance is the shortest distance between two points on the surface of a sphere, measured along the surface of the sphere (as opposed to a straight line through the sphere's interior).

So, why would the flights cross the Great Atlantic Ocean when they can fly towards north-pole, fly over Greenland, Iceland, Canada and enter USA from North.

Some more references:
Flight-Radar:
This is a real-time information of flights. You can see how many flights already in transit on this path.

Great-Circle Mapper:

If you enter origin and destination airport codes, you can see the great-circle path between the 2 airports.

I've set up the Mumbai - Newark flight path below for you:
Name:  BOMEWR flight path.gif
Views: 768
Size:  17.4 KB

Last edited by daretodream : 4th April 2016 at 18:06. Reason: spelling check, content added
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks