Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 19:43   #916
Team-BHP Support

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Middle eastern carriers with domestic transit through BOS
Nothing beats clearing Border control at the Middle East. When you land at US, depending on airport and time of arrival queues can be long. Also, at Heathrow you have to go through passport control ( Even for Transit though no visa is required) where again depending on the time of arrival it can take considerable time.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 20:25   #917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashr View Post
Hi,

Travelling to the US on a B1/B2 Visa, in September. This being the first time, can someone please help me with the right route to take?

1) MAA-BOM-AMS-ATL on Jet Airways
2) MAA-LHR-ATL on British Airways
3) MAA-FRA-ATL on Lufthansa
4) Middle eastern carriers with domestic transit through BOS

Bias towards Jet since I am on the silver tier and can afford a J class upgrade through miles. Any other thoughts/experiences? Thank you!
The last sentence would settle it for me. Nothing like flying business, period. The extra comfort you will have is completely worth it, even with the extra flight you have to take to BOM.

If I were you I would take the Jet option.

EDIT - Do also remember, Jet offers a J class upgrade with miles only on certain fare types of economy.

Otherwise do also look at Qatar, they fly direct to ATL. And the service and hard product on middle eastern airlines is excellent.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th June 2017 at 20:28.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 06:42   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Travelling to the US on a B1/B2 Visa, in September. This being the first time, can someone please help me with the right route to take?

Bias towards Jet since I am on the silver tier and can afford a J class upgrade through miles. Any other thoughts/experiences? Thank you!
Middle Eastern carriers are better with regard to ease of check-ins at respective countries. However, travel time from Gulf to US will be long from 12 to 18 depending on the destination. And that is where Europe stop over will be helpful. There are Visa stamping kiosks for B1/B2 type visas at certain airports in US to ease the pain of immigration! Book your return tickets too as Qatar and Emirates generally insist on showing your return tickets.
Gokrish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 13:24   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

Whenever I used to travel to the USA from india I always took Lufthansa via Frankfurt. Travel time might be a bit longer but having a stopover at Franfurt cuts the travel time almost in two equal parts. I just dont care for those 12-15 hour long hauls.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 15:28   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is something that goes in favour of 2 & 3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Travel time might be a bit longer but having a stopover at Franfurt cuts the travel time almost in two equal parts.
Another reason I can think of is that the airports in the middle east are huge: it's not always a pleasant experience when you have just a couple of hours between the flights and you have to reach a different terminal. Sometimes, though rarely but it does happen sometimes, when the flight from India to the middle east ends up delayed because the aircraft is put in a holding pattern for a while, it can result in missing the connection.

Mind you, Lufthansa and BA don't have that wow factor that the middle-eastern carriers provide you.

I remember flying LHR-ORD in a code-shared United Airlines aircraft, a rather old one (forgot which aircraft it was) with the smallest In-Flight Entertainment screens I had ever seen on a trans-Atlantic flight. But it was a pleasant flight because the load was so less that I had one full row of seats for myself to stretch and a jovial cabin crew.

The middle-eastern carriers usually go out of their way in making your trip comfortable, especially those travelling as a family and with kids.

Quote:
Bias towards Jet since I am on the silver tier and can afford a J class upgrade through miles.
Please confirm that the upgrade is available end to end, before picking it up. After a disappointing domestic flight and reports of incidents as well as lacklustre reviews, I personally avoid Jet Airways but YMMV.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 15:56   #921
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

I generally fly Delta while doing India-USA; good service and connectivity since Atlanta is Delta's hub.

Delta and Jet have recently become codeshare partners so good chance that the second leg of the journey may be on Delta. You can explore using your tier to get an uprade.

* I assume this is a corporate booking. These are generally on the lowest booking class and often will not be eligible for upgrade through miles/discount.

Etihad also has good service; India - Abu Dhabi on Jet and next leg on Etihad.

Avoid American and United; terrible airlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Otherwise do also look at Qatar, they fly direct to ATL. And the service and hard product on middle eastern airlines is excellent.
Not a good idea now considering the diplomatic situation with Qatar.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th June 2017 at 15:57.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 16:31   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Avoid American and United; terrible airlines.

Not a good idea now considering the diplomatic situation with Qatar.
I have traveled to US about 6 times in the last 3 years and have always been on AA from London. I find them to be much better than the BA flight I take from India. I agree on the United part, absolutely terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
YMMV.
Pardon my ignorance, what YMMV? Google explanation is interesting, so wondering if it's the same context.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 16:44   #923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have traveled to US about 6 times in the last 3 years and have always been on AA from London. I find them to be much better than the BA flight I take from India. I agree on the United part, absolutely terrible.
But isn't BA one of the lousiest airlines; so I've heard.

Of the three American carriers, I only fly Delta. Even if it works a little extra (up to 10%).

I just don't like the AA experience; right from their customer support to the check-in/gate staff.

Last edited by noopster : 6th June 2017 at 22:20. Reason: Rule 11
Old 6th June 2017, 16:59   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Also, at Heathrow you have to go through passport control ( Even for Transit though no visa is required) where again depending on the time of arrival it can take considerable time.
That's not true. You don't have to enter passport control area if you are just transiting through LHR. You just need to clear security again and proceed to your gate. (I am assuming you are not going to change terminals and will be within the confines of Terminal 5 - A, B or C gates)
Old 6th June 2017, 17:06   #925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You just need to clear security again and proceed to your gate
Before Security there's definitely passport check, I have personally stood in a long queue when travelling from Delhi to Calgary around 2 Years back and only after this check did I went through security. But they do have a premium queue for Business class passengers which I used on return ( Upgraded from premium economy)
Old 6th June 2017, 18:27   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Etihad also has good service; India - Abu Dhabi on Jet and next leg on Etihad.
The Jet airways connection to Abu Dhabi is terrible. I thought I would save the cab ride on the eway from Pune to Mumbai.
Pune - Abu Dhabi; the flight was like a state transport bus. with closed windows. May just be the most cramped seats I have travelled in.

Not sure how it is to/ from other cities in India
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 18:39   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if it's just me, I have found AA, United and Delta equally lousy in domestic flights within the US. Have had better experiences with JetBlue and minnows Cape Air.

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, what YMMV? Google explanation is interesting, so wondering if it's the same context.
I was lazy to type "but you could have a different opinion based on your experiences", so I wrote YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary. There. I paid the price for being lazy.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 21:25   #928
Senior - BHPian

BA is by far the worst when it comes to customer service. Their flight attendants are probably the most grumpy ones I have ever seen, especially the Indian flight attendants ones are more grumpy looking at the Indians on board, which I thought was weird.

Last edited by noopster : 6th June 2017 at 22:21. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 7th June 2017, 16:14   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Before Security there's definitely passport check, I have personally stood in a long queue when travelling from Delhi to Calgary around 2 Years back and only after this check did I went through security. But they do have a premium queue for Business class passengers which I used on return ( Upgraded from premium economy)
That's surprising. I have gone via LHR from Hyderabad to the US six times in the last one year. (All Economy class) Never once have I had to go to passport control. Did you switch terminals or carriers? My experience is with British Airways throughout (And hence Terminal 5)
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 16:18   #930
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have gone via LHR from Hyderabad to the US six times in the last one year. (All Economy class) Never once have I had to go to passport control
I don't think there was a change in the terminal, it's kind of passport check, not something where they actually stamp you but someone will see passport and visa and only then you go to security. I remember standing for like 45 minutes in the queue and thereafter never travelled via Heathrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks