Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 11:45   #976
Team-BHP Support

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Guys, I am flying Emirates, returning back from the US via Dubai. I have bought a tennis racket for myself and I am wondering if I can bring it in the hand baggage (I only have a laptop bag), or do I have to put that in the check-in luggage? Any pointers?
Emirates allows two pieces of luggage in the cabin: a cabin bag and a laptop bag/purse. Your tennis racket can be the second piece apart from your laptop bag.

My friend had taken his tennis kit (the kind of bag that allows you to fit in 2-3 rackets and a compartment on either side) along with a laptop bag, without any hassle.

Just to be entirely sure, Customer Care should clarify. But I don't think you've anything to worry.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 11:45   #977
Senior - BHPian

My dad has a flight today evening 8pm to Delhi and then 8am morning flight to Varna, Bulgaria via Istanbul.

2 queries. How is the arrivals lounge? There is an AMEX departure lounge, but not sure when the airline will allow check in. What is the usual scenario for early check-in in Delhi?

So, should I recommend him the Arrivals lounge? Or let him take benefit of his AMEX card and enjoy complementary access in the Departure?
Old 17th December 2017, 11:53   #978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
There is an AMEX departure lounge, but not sure when the airline will allow check in. What is the usual scenario for early check-in in Delhi?
What is his luggage scenario? Is the luggage checked-in through: Mumbai - Delhi - Varna? Or is Mumbai - Delhi a separate itinerary than Delhi - Varna.

Lounges, especially those in the international terminal, are lenient about how early you can enter before your flight. But the problem here might be (if Delhi - Varna is a separate check-in), airline counters will only open about three-five hours before the flight.

Eg. I was at the airport at 2100 for my 0200 flight to Zurich. But Swiss opened the check-in counter only at 2230 so I couldn't go to the lounge until I had dropped my luggage.

So, chances are, the check-in might delay him from using the lounge.

Quote:
Or let him take benefit of his AMEX card and enjoy complementary access in the Departure?
This.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th December 2017 at 11:54.
Old 17th December 2017, 12:08   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What is his luggage scenario?
He will be carrying hand baggage only. So the departure lounge will be the best scenario.

Thanks.
Old 17th December 2017, 12:44   #980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
My dad has a flight today evening 8pm to Delhi and then 8am morning flight to Varna, Bulgaria via Istanbul.

2 queries. How is the arrivals lounge? There is an AMEX departure lounge, but not sure when the airline will allow check in. What is the usual scenario for early check-in in Delhi?

So, should I recommend him the Arrivals lounge? Or let him take benefit of his AMEX card and enjoy complementary access in the Departure?
The issue is that immigration may not let you pass early unless the lounge is pre-immigration
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 15:02   #981
BHPian

Looking for flights to Bali from Mumbai in April and there are plenty from Malindo Air. Requesting inputs on how is Malindo Air as compared to Malasian / Singapore / Thai airways and what can we expect as flying experience with Malindo.

The travel is for a couple + a 8 year old

TIA !
Old 4th January 2018, 15:12   #982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Looking for flights to Bali from Mumbai in April and there are plenty from Malindo Air. Requesting inputs on how is Malindo Air as compared to Malasian / Singapore / Thai airways and what can we expect as flying experience with Malindo.
Not really comparable to Singapore Airlines or Thai; experience will be pretty much aligned to the budget airlines range (Scoot, AirAsia etc.). That said, it shouldn’t matter much in a short haul flight.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 15:28   #983
BHPian

Hi All,

I am currently in Germany Frankfurt on a work permit visa having validity till 30th June 2018. I haven't got a resident permit card usually the case for long term visa holders but only have the work permit visa on my Passport.
I am planning to travel to Spain in March, will there be any problem during Passport check or I can travel without any worry.

Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 15:28   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not really comparable to Singapore Airlines or Thai; experience will be pretty much aligned to the budget airlines range (Scoot, AirAsia etc.). That said, it shouldn’t matter much in a short haul flight.
Thank you vb-san !! The other option is Malaysian airlines / Jet. Really do not want to book on Air Asia as I haven't had a positive experience flying with them on domestic sector.

Should I prefer Malaysia / Jet , though they are bit expensive than Malindo, while the flights from Air Asia are good 20K cheaper.

Last edited by pankaj_sachdeva : 4th January 2018 at 15:35. Reason: Typo error
Old 4th January 2018, 15:34   #985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubshar View Post
Hi All,

I am currently in Germany Frankfurt on a work permit visa having validity till 30th June 2018. I haven't got a resident permit card usually the case for long term visa holders but only have the work permit visa on my Passport.
I am planning to travel to Spain in March, will there be any problem during Passport check or I can travel without any worry.

Thanks
Germany and Spain are both part of the Schengen so you can freely travel between these two countries as long as the travel is direct between the two countries, meaning you aren't stepping out of Schengen.

I was in Zurich last year and traveled to Germany, the Netherlands and Norway without any issue (any separate visa). Do carry your passport though; for identification purpose.
Old 4th January 2018, 15:49   #986
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Should I prefer Malaysia / Jet , though they are bit expensive than Malindo, while the flights from Air Asia are good 20K cheaper.
I don't know much about Jet Airways; never tried it out. Malaysian is definitely a better option than Malindo.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 00:10   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I don't know much about Jet Airways; never tried it out. Malaysian is definitely a better option than Malindo.
Jet is very good for international flights, based on first hand experience flying from Singapore a few years ago.

Malindo used to be Lion Air if I am not mistaken. I had got a sweet deal from Singapore long ago to Bali and back and it was very good. We were two couples each tavelling with a 3 year old and faced no issues at all. It is a low-cost airline as someone mentioned but quite adequate in all respects. Obviously a full-service option if available will be preferable.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 07:13   #988
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Jet is very good for international flights, based on first hand experience flying from Singapore a few years ago.
Good to know; my trips to India are generally in either SilkAir or Scoot/Tiger (only two carriers to Kochi), and flew Indigo a couple of times to Bangalore/Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Malindo used to be Lion Air if I am not mistaken.
That’s right…
Old 5th January 2018, 09:21   #989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Minor correction: Jet is very good except when between India - Middle East where it serves Etihad as a shuttle service.

The planes Jet has between Indian cities and Abu Dhabi (I've traveled on them from Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi) are plain horrible. The seats lack cushion, the leg space is terrible and I know enough people who've complained of mosquitoes in the cabin.

But apart from this sector, yes, Jet is pretty good.
Old 5th January 2018, 13:06   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Minor correction: Jet is very good except when between India - Middle East where it serves Etihad as a shuttle service.

The planes Jet has between Indian cities and Abu Dhabi (I've traveled on them from Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi) are plain horrible. The seats lack cushion, the leg space is terrible and I know enough people who've complained of mosquitoes in the cabin.

But apart from this sector, yes, Jet is pretty good.
Just to add to your comments,my observations :
Etihad is no different in the India-Middle-east sector either.From most Indian cities barring Mumbai they operate the single-aisle configuration aircrafts on most schedules(exceptions are there) which is very very uncomfortable. Inflight catering too in Etihad is pretty sad when compared to Emirates etc.The catering part is uniform across all their sectors (Middleast and Europe)-they are just so miserly.I once got the same breakfast on the Hyd-AUH and AUH-LHR sectors and all that the tray had was a sandwich as solid food,for a 7hr flight that was abysmal.For people who look forward to alcohol on Etihad,they dont go around with a cart like the other airlines,if you shamelessly ask for it,they get it for you.The current news is that Etihad might sell out any moment,and from the way they are cost cutting their inflight catering,I will not be surprised if this news does turn out to be true.

Transit at AUH is the pits,hopefully things might change once the new Midfield airport opens(was scheduled for 2017,but now pushed to 2019),the present airport was built and used to service just a couple of flights in the 80s(I remember it from then as I studied in the country) and it is still the same.That circular food court was a marvel for us kids back then,but today it looks so shady Overall AUH must be the last option for anybody to transit through and the added attraction of Etihad/Jet combine makes it all an all the more unattractive option
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed