Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2018, 04:32   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emirates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Ahem! Seems, so NO need to disembark at Athens for passengers flying onward? How to kill 2 hours in a stationary plane OR we need to disembark and embark again?

Has anyone traveled on this section/route? Please share your experience.
I have traveled on similar refueling stop routes (singapore airlines SIN-SFO will generally stop at ICN or HKG for refueling). In that case passengers will be asked to disembark and get back into the plane again once refueling is completed.

Not sure what the procedure is for this flight of course.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 22:04   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I have traveled on similar refueling stop routes (singapore airlines SIN-SFO will generally stop at ICN or HKG for refueling). In that case passengers will be asked to disembark and get back into the plane again once refueling is completed.

Not sure what the procedure is for this flight of course.
I have booked myself on this BLR > DXB > ATH > EWR routing of emirates.
From what I got to know from the net, there were lots of resistance from american carriers for emirates flying into them from a non-home destination. Also, emirates will subject us to security checkup again at ATH, even when we disembark into a secure enclosure.
Old 1st March 2018, 23:12   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked myself on this BLR > DXB > ATH > EWR routing of emirates.
From what I got to know from the net, there were lots of resistance from american carriers for emirates flying into them from a non-home destination. Also, emirates will subject us to security checkup again at ATH, even when we disembark into a secure enclosure.
Any route that flies into the USA has separate / additional security checks (enforced by having a separate set of gates) compared to planes flying into any other destination even in the EU.

So while it is a single flight, from the perspective of airport security this is DXB-ATH and ATH-EWR, hence the required second security check at the gate will be done at ATH.

Instead of that you could just have flown BLR-DEL-JFK or BLR-BOM-EWR on Air India. The DEL-JFK and BOM-EWR are both nonstop, hence there is only the DEL security check to undergo after you finish security and board in BLR.
Old 1st March 2018, 23:41   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Instead of that you could just have flown BLR-DEL-JFK or BLR-BOM-EWR on Air India. The DEL-JFK and BOM-EWR are both nonstop, hence there is only the DEL security check to undergo after you finish security and board in BLR.
Ahem! But I got a good price with emirates! So have to bear these little discomforts for the same.

BTW, how to declare the laptop which we carry out of India at customs.
I might be buying a new laptop in US and hence might have to carry both of them on my return.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 00:06   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ahem! But I got a good price with emirates! So have to bear these little discomforts for the same.

BTW, how to declare the laptop which we carry out of India at customs.
I might be buying a new laptop in US and hence might have to carry both of them on my return.
It is called an export certificate. http://bangalorecustoms.gov.in/expce...structions.htm

Normally not needed as one laptop can be imported duty free and your existing one will be clearly used, may have company stickers, STPI bond stickers etc on it.
Old 18th April 2018, 21:35   #1011
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Southwest 1380 had a uncontained engine failure that took out a passenger window and subsequently caused a loss of cabin pressure. The engine explosion, which occurred about 20 minutes after the Dallas-bound Southwest Flight 1380 with 149 on board took off from New York’s LaGuardia Airport, sent pieces of shrapnel flying, including one that shattered a window near the plane’s left wing, killing one passenger.

Here is the ATC communications, keep in mind the pilots were talking through their oxygen masks which makes it a lot more difficult.

sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 09:27   #1012
BHPian

Chilling footage of a near miss at the San Francisco airport https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...share_btn_link
Old 4th May 2018, 15:41   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I would be moving to UK for sometime because of work purpose. I want to know what is the number of baggage that is allowed for a person as check-in? Does any flight allow 2 pieces of baggage or every carrier allows only 1?
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 15:56   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Hello All,

I would be moving to UK for sometime because of work purpose. I want to know what is the number of baggage that is allowed for a person as check-in? Does any flight allow 2 pieces of baggage or every carrier allows only 1?
This varies from airline to airline. The best place to check this would be with the airline itself. You can do this before you book the tickets also.
get2bid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 15:59   #1015
Distinguished - BHPian

You have to check the individual airlines, and also the class of travel. The number of bags and the weight will vary.

I'm told (by my one-time mridangam teacher, who has an interest in taking instruments back to London) that Air India is the best.

Even if it is, its schedules do not suit me and I insist on a one-hop journey, which, from Chennai, means only one choice: BA.

BA allows one checked-in 32Kg bag in economy class and two in "Premium Economy." Business class is also two, but the bags can be heavier. Premium economy is expensive, but I am too old to be cramped for eleven hours; Business class is just way too expensive.

No idea about flights from Bangalore. Check your choices and check out the airline websites. Let us know what you find. I suspect that Air India might suit.

Where are you flying to and settling?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 16:00   #1016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All,

Is this a work trip through your company?

If so; in addition to what get2bid said, check your organization's travel policy. Mine states that during any travel, I will be entitled to two check-in baggages. If the airline allows one, the company will pay the baggage fees for the other. If the airline offers two, end of story.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 16:37   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
This varies from airline to airline. The best place to check this would be with the airline itself. You can do this before you book the tickets also.
Thanks get2bid. I will be checking with the airline folks as well but thought of finding out from frequent flyers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You have to check the individual airlines, and also the class of travel. The number of bags and the weight will vary.

I'm told (by my one-time mridangam teacher, who has an interest in taking instruments back to London) that Air India is the best.

Even if it is, its schedules do not suit me and I insist on a one-hop journey, which, from Chennai, means only one choice: BA.

BA allows one checked-in 32Kg bag in economy class and two in "Premium Economy." Business class is also two, but the bags can be heavier. Premium economy is expensive, but I am too old to be cramped for eleven hours; Business class is just way too expensive.

No idea about flights from Bangalore. Check your choices and check out the airline websites. Let us know what you find. I suspect that Air India might suit.

Where are you flying to and settling?
Like you even I don't like to have multiple stopovers and prefer BA. I will check with other airlines and confirm if any allows 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is this a work trip through your company?

If so; in addition to what get2bid said, check your organization's travel policy. Mine states that during any travel, I will be entitled to two check-in baggages. If the airline allows one, the company will pay the baggage fees for the other. If the airline offers two, end of story.
Thanks libran. Yes mine is a work trip. Alas, my company does not have the extra baggage policy. So I have to make do with whatever the carrier provides. Let me check with all carriers and find out more.
Old 4th May 2018, 16:45   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I am quite surprised BA allows 1 bag of 32KGS as standard. I was under the impression it follows the same 23kg rule as other airlines, or maybe it used to back when I was a frequent traveller.

Air India undoubtedly has the best baggage policy of all Indian flights, though the flight quality itself may be average.

Lastly, I would just advise checking another airline such as Emirates / Etihad. My experience when I was doing a long haul flight was that Emirates Business actually worked out to be marginally more expensive than Lufthansa Economy. It all depends when you book - and there will be a layover. But given it's a 10 hour flight - you may just prefer the added comfort.
Old 4th May 2018, 17:13   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks get2bid. I will be checking with the airline folks as well but thought of finding out from frequent flyers here.
The question is very generic and that is the reason you might not get specifics. The limit varies from airlines to airlines and also depends on the route you take.
Like many said, Air India has the best baggage allowance. But you will have to check the timings, frequency and location.
Emirates has a better flying experience along with the food. BA is very well known for losing the baggage.
Old 27th June 2018, 13:49   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

A little off-topic (and probably very late) but why don't you just courier / ship your bags / boxes to the city you will be posted in?
And try to get relocation allowance from your company?!

Last edited by turbospooler : 27th June 2018 at 13:50. Reason: added one point

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks