Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 10:23   #1021
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

HI,
I am in US and would be flying back to India on vacation from Chicago OHare (ORD) by Emirates. I just realized I had booked tickets on Thanksgiving eve. Considering it is one of the busiest day for airline traffic asking experts on how easy (or lousy) is the airport expected to be. Any personal experience of flying out of ORD on Thanksgiving week / day before?
Old 17th August 2018, 10:33   #1022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
HI,
I am in US and would be flying back to India on vacation from Chicago OHare (ORD) by Emirates. I just realized I had booked tickets on Thanksgiving eve. Considering it is one of the busiest day for airline traffic asking experts on how easy (or lousy) is the airport expected to be. Any personal experience of flying out of ORD on Thanksgiving week / day before?
It will be very busy. My advice would be to give enough time to reach the airport and that too reach early. The check-in and security queues will be horrendous and the last thing you need is an additional security screen or some idiot in front of the queue holding you up. I, once flew to Orlando on 22nd and it was not easy. Book a Town Car or similar ahead of time to take you to the airport.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th August 2018 at 11:26.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 11:22   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HI,
Any personal experience of flying out of ORD on Thanksgiving week / day before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It will be very busy.
Yes, it will be very very busy.

The best thing is to always try to avoid O’Hare like the proverbial plague. On any day, especially these sort of day. On a good day it is a bad airport. In my many years of flying I have not often missed a connection. But I have missed most at O’Hare. Due to monumental queue! And then there is the weather.

Rain, fog, snow, ice. You name it they have it and they tend to get a lot of it. It is a huge airport, big national and international hub, so when things start backing up due to weather it tends to ge very very wrong very very quickly.

Arrive early, make sure have plenty of time and try to be relaxed about it. All you can do is join the queue and try not to get to stressed out about it.

Good luck.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 20:21   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI,
Please avoid. By all means. I've had my fair share of 'adventures' at ORD though Chicago treated me well except the odd incidents involving CTA.

If you can pick another day, all the more better. If you must take the connection from ORD, then please keep the largest buffer that's possible. Good luck
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 13:01   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Two quick questions for travel gurus:
  1. Do they allow hearing aids that contain battery cells on board? The batteries are around the size of a watch battery.
  2. Is there a locker in New Delhi airport, so that one can pay a quick visit to the city between a domestic and an international flight? The time gap is 8 hours.
Old 17th September 2018, 13:06   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Do they allow hearing aids that contain battery cells on board? The batteries are around the size of a watch battery.
[*]Is there a locker in New Delhi airport, so that one can pay a quick visit to the city between a domestic and an international flight? The time gap is 8 hours.
[/list]

Should not be a problem with the hearing aid at all. In fact just about all sorts of devices with batteries are still allowed in the cabin. From phones, watches, laptops etc.

Cant really remember about lockers anymore, hopefully another member can

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 14:23   #1027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Two quick questions for travel gurus:
  1. Do they allow hearing aids that contain battery cells on board? The batteries are around the size of a watch battery.
  2. Is there a locker in New Delhi airport, so that one can pay a quick visit to the city between a domestic and an international flight? The time gap is 8 hours.
What you could do is check the bag direct from your flight origin assuming that the ticket PNR is the same. I would have advised to check in the bag early if it was an AI or Emirates or similar flight where there are plenty of flights daily so the check in counters are always open but alas, once you enter the departure, you cannot leave unless you have a valid reason

Last edited by ajmat : 18th September 2018 at 11:16.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 20:53   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/as-m...-board-1917842

Any one with friends / relatives on this flight ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 23:51   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That reads like a movie script. Horrifying that it actually happened
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 20:01   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

370 Lives
One commercial air-craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That reads like a movie script. Horrifying that it actually happened

Here's the transcript - Air India pilots with JFK ATC.

Last edited by condor : 18th September 2018 at 20:10.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 20:34   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Talking about how busy O'hare airport would be, this was a normal day (Friday evening) in August when our flight was delayed by half hour due to flights in que to take off.
Attached Thumbnails
The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-752b84d6ddf84fe786caeda393c13b1a.jpeg  

The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-8ad8dd4fc5ab4c188a9c9e24833b07a4.jpeg  

The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-da03098faa54429fb409d3e87d122110.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 22:35   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It will be very busy. My advice would be to give enough time to reach the airport and that too reach early. The check-in and security queues will be horrendous and the last thing you need is an additional security screen or some idiot in front of the queue holding you up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Yes, it will be very very busy.
The best thing is to always try to avoid O’Hare like the proverbial plague. On any day, especially these sort of day. On a good day it is a bad airport.Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Please avoid. By all means.
Thanks for your advice guys. I have re-planned my travel to now start from Dallas. Hope DFW handles traffic better than ORD on day before thanks giving.
Old 19th September 2018, 13:44   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Air travellers in Hyderabad can now catch their flights without worrying about their luggage or even carrying it.

Quote:
The GMR-led Hyderabad International Airport has become the first airport in India to introduce a doorstep baggage transfer facility for passengers flying to and from varied locations a week ago. Under its signature ‘Passenger Is Prime’ programme, it has engaged a Bengaluru-based startup ‘CarterX’ for the service.
Quote:
...passengers....have to book the facility online (www.carterx.in) after which the luggage gets picked up from the address given to the airport and vice versa
Quote:
Each bag ... is... secured in separate tamper-resistant sealable bags, which are marked and bar coded for easy identification.

The facility also provides passengers the choice to select the date of service (whether pick up or delivery), flight details, delivery location, etc., when a unique order number would be generated and is sent to the mobile/mail of the customer after the payment. A porter would be assigned for the task and his coordinates too would be sent to the passenger. The bags are then brought to the arrival/departure lounge as per the booking made
Source

Baggage Booking site
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:26   #1034
Senior - BHPian

I agree with ORD. I have had so many cancellations and once i had to sit in a plane on runway going to Denver with air conditioning OFF for 1 hour waiting to fly off. It was horrible.
Old 1st October 2018, 12:10   #1035
BHPian

An acquaintance is travelling to Hubli for personal work and is requesting to check if there any public transport from Hubli airport to city and otherwise.

Also he seems to have booked some Hahn airlines. Any feedbacks on this airline?

I tried online but couldn't find anything concrete and hence turned to my de-facto Encyclopedia, the TEAM-BHP.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed