Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 22:23   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Heathrow Terminal4 has a hotel, but it is outside of the secure zone. UK Visa is needed for Indian citizens. I think there are other places within the terminal to rest. For long layovers, I lookup the location of pods or lounges on websites like this.
https://www.sleepinginairports.net/s...ow-airport.htm
Yeah the UK visa isn't an option so can't take that hotel but thanks for the link - see some options there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
There are "Plaza Premium" lounges in Heathrow which can be booked online with private room option. I guess they are located at multiple locations within the airport and are quite good compared to the price you pay.

This could a good option for spending a day to relax without going through hassles of UK visa just for a day's stay.
Yeah good choice - I see something called Yotel too. Hopefully that should work.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 08:55   #1067
Team-BHP Support

Those booked on Air India might want to fill their stomachs full before boarding and then fast through the duration of the flight.

Quote:
The loss-making airline has already started using food items stocked from India during its onward journey to Stockholm, Copenhagen, Birmingham and Madrid, and use them when returning. It has said food items purchased from these foreign cities are much more expensive when compared to Indian cities.

"The food is taken from here in India in chillers and then it is heated whenever it has to be used... Catering costs for us are around Rs. 600 crore to Rs. 800 crore a year. Catering in India is 3-4 times cheaper as compared to catering in the West," Mr Kharola said.

Within the next few months, Air India will start serving food from India on its flights returning from the Gulf region, he added.

As a cost-cutting measure, Air India decided in July 2017 to not serve non-vegetarian food to economy class passengers on its domestic flights.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/air-...-costs-1975294

The funny part:

Quote:
Although we have not estimated the benefit from this move, we certainly hope to save money by taking food from India,” said the official quoted above.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...o8lK1FRcK.html
Old 10th January 2019, 09:27   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah good choice - I see something called Yotel too. Hopefully that should work.
Never used Yotel but heard that their rooms can be expensive for two people and sometimes cumbersome for elders.

However, good thing is there are multiple options to chose from.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 09:41   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Those booked on Air India might want to fill their stomachs full before boarding and then fast through the duration of the flight.
The funny part:
I thought the domestic situation was pathetic and they had their international services in good state. Just two days back my mother returned from an official trip to Delhi and due to their corporate policies the first preference is given to AI and only if it isnt available or expensive they can choose private carriers. On the return leg, she was served a single cutlet whereas her neighbor was served two in a serving. The attitude of the steward was also very cold and he didnt bother to be nice. I guess it is their job security that makes them like this compared to the private carriers who would not mind to shunt out a few employees if they arent satisified with their behaviour.
Old 10th January 2019, 09:57   #1070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I thought the domestic situation was pathetic and they had their international services in good state.
On the weekend I took Air India Express from Kochi to Singapore (with 45 mins technical stop at Madurai). Pathetic would be an understatement; badly managed aircraft, mangled seat pockets, and even had one of the seat armrest safely stored at the overhead baggage compartment . First time experience with Air India Express, and probably won’t take it again, sticking to SilkAir or even Scoot makes much more sense.

Since this trip was not planned in advance, the onward journey was with Indigo with a couple of hours’ stop-over at Chennai. Other than the chaotic Chennai airport, the flight was indeed very pleasant – well managed aircraft and extremely courteous staff.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 19:34   #1071
Team-BHP Support

Things not looking good for Jet Airways:

Quote:
On Monday night, some Boeing 737s — the mainstay of Jet’s operations — were reportedly grounded at Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Chennai airports. “One plane was grounded at each of these places. Another plane has been grounded for some time as the lessor has started the repossession process,” said a source.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67739912.cms
Old 30th January 2019, 11:27   #1072
BHPian

From My experiences in various airlines, I will rate food in terms of taste, quality and Value for Money as below: (For Economy class only)

1. Vistara
2. Spice jet
3. Air India
4. Jet
5. Go Air
6. Indigo

I did not tried food on Air Asia. Jet once was best and I trust it is still very good for business class, but for Economy class quality has degraded over last 20 years. For Air India, there is perceptible improvement in quality over last 2 years. (Still needs further improvement).

As far as freshness is concerned. I have my doubts if we get anything fresher than 12 hours on board. Personally, when required and possible, I prefer to fill up in lounge before I board. So that I can skip eating on board.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 09:33   #1073
BHPian

Has anyone transited from Heathrow to Spain (or any EU destination) via British airways?

I have a confusion on the transit visa requirement. The website says if I dont cross UK border control, then I need a Direct Airside transit visa. Neither BA or UK immigration is being specific on whether I need to cross border control. The layover is 2 hours and I have an onward ticket to madrid on the same day. I will have my bags checkedin through and flight is from same airport (same terminal too). I believe there is no need to cross UK border control. Also since I have a US (B1) visa I should be exempt from Direct Airside Transit visa too.

I am a bit hesitant if the airline crew will create issues of not having transit visa in Bangalore. They may not allow me to board? I have transited BA through US and dont remember passing UK border control.
Old 30th March 2019, 21:41   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Has anyone transited from Heathrow to Spain (or any EU destination) via British airways?
In 2012 I transited from Heathrow to Düsseldorf Germany on a student visa, I didn't need any transit visa in Heathrow, and I believe you don't need it either.

Spike
Old 1st April 2019, 21:14   #1075
BHPian

Guys I might take a trip to SFO from Mumbai sometime end April/May 1st week. I am trying to fly A380 and B747 too if I get lucky. There are options on Lufthansa for A380+B747 and Emirates has A380. Who else flies these crafts to SFO without charging a bomb?
For eg Emirates is at 94K INR and Lufthansa at 110K INR for BOM-SFO-BOM route.
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:58   #1076
Senior - BHPian

BA still flies 747 in the US to London sector. Last month I got lucky and managed to fly in the upper deck from Denver to London.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 23:02   #1077
BHPian

I intend to go on a family vacation to Singapore sometime in June/July.
Is there any A380 flying from India to Singapore?
Also, as this will going to be my first international trip, so will appreciate any Do's/Dont's from fellow travellers.

Last edited by SamitMukherjee : 12th April 2019 at 23:12.
Old 13th April 2019, 10:31   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Singapore Airlines operate A380 from Delhi & Mumbai. You can confirm by checking the flight information on their website.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 10:36   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
I intend to go on a family vacation to Singapore sometime in June/July.
You can find all the routes A380s fly here

https://www.iflya380.com/a380-destin...tml?origin=MAA
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 19:57   #1080
BHPian

Good news for Kolkata. Singapore airlines is bringing in their Airbus A350-900 for Kolkata-Singapore sector replacing Airbus A330-300.

http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/...w/69043988.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks