Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2019, 14:34   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

I stumbled upon this topic through a video shared by a friend on WhatsApp. DPNA - Disabled Persons (with intellectual or developmental disability) Needing Assistance Code is an internationally accepted airline practice which enables people with special needs to utilise extra facilities in the airport and plane.
Quote:
Next time you book a flight ticket, add the code “DPNA” in the free-text box that appears on the booking page, in case your child needs any additional support from the airline. “DPNA (disabled passenger with intellectual or developmental disability needing assistance) is a Special Service Request (SSR) code. SSR codes are used in the airline industry to communicate traveller preferences or needs to airlines. They are delivered through standardised four-letter codes defined by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
Quote:
..the DPNA code, introduced in May 2008, is specifically applicable to IATA member airlines. In India, these include Air India, Vistara and SpiceJet. So, in case you want to avail the code, you will have to make your booking with the above mentioned airlines.
What kind of facilities can you avail under DPNA code?
Quote:
The support that can be delivered tends to be the small things that can make a big difference. Examples include boarding first as a family, not sitting next to babies who may cry, having the passenger’s meal served first, checking in on the passenger every couple of hours, sitting at the front of the plane so you can get off quickly, priority check-in etc
Source

The video:

I am sure not all air travellers are aware of this useful provision. So, if you know of someone who could benefit from the code, do spread the word.

Disclaimer: No affiliations whatsoever. Just sharing a piece of information I came across.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 15:27   #1082
BHPian

I intend to travel to Jordan, next month end from Bangalore.

1. While going to Jordan, I will be transiting via Dubai, Emirates flight. Do i need to get any visa for layover? Layover would be around 7 hours. Also any ways to kill the time for 7 hours without leaving airport?

2. Etihad airways has a wonderful offer of free 2 nights stay if i do a stop over in Abu Dhabi. I am planning to avail this and do a stop over of more than 24 hours. Can i explore a little bit of Abu Dhabi in a day? Any suggestions please.
Old 13th June 2019, 16:14   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I intend to travel to Jordan, next month end from Bangalore.

1. While going to Jordan, I will be transiting via Dubai, Emirates flight. Do i need to get any visa for layover? Layover would be around 7 hours. Also any ways to kill the time for 7 hours without leaving airport?

2. Etihad airways has a wonderful offer of free 2 nights stay if i do a stop over in Abu Dhabi. I am planning to avail this and do a stop over of more than 24 hours. Can i explore a little bit of Abu Dhabi in a day? Any suggestions please.
Since you have booked through EK, your can request for VISA for up to 72 hours while ticketing or after ticketing from the EK Offices, provided you have an onward connection with EK. in my humble opinion Dubai has more attractions and more hotels. Traveling for Two days from AUH will set you back by 300 AED each trip which is x 4 for two days = roughly around 24K INR. The only thing in my opinion you need to explore AUH is the F1 Circuit and some YAS island resorts. however DXB has the Bollywood park the Marvel Park, Burj Khalifa, Legoland, Dubai mall etc. Suggest you look for a hotel nearest to Metro, if 4 pax are traveling Taxi may be cheaper. Else Take a IDP you can drive on visit Visa

Last edited by shivshanker : 13th June 2019 at 16:15.
shivshanker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 17:17   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Since you have booked through EK, your can request for VISA for up to 72 hours while ticketing or after ticketing from the EK Offices, provided you have an onward connection with EK. in my humble opinion Dubai has more attractions and more hotels. Traveling for Two days from AUH will set you back by 300 AED each trip which is x 4 for two days = roughly around 24K INR. The only thing in my opinion you need to explore AUH is the F1 Circuit and some YAS island resorts. however DXB has the Bollywood park the Marvel Park, Burj Khalifa, Legoland, Dubai mall etc. Suggest you look for a hotel nearest to Metro, if 4 pax are traveling Taxi may be cheaper. Else Take a IDP you can drive on visit Visa

Thanks ! I am not looking at Dubai because I need to book hotels and tours. Moreover I have virtually visited Dubai , thanks to the photos in facebook I was not interested in UAE actually when I started my planning. However this Etihad offer of free accommodation has enticed me and I am going to do a stop over in Abu Dhabi. I guess I will take a rest in the Ritz Carlton hotel for free and if possible will enter the city and see!

Last edited by GTO : 14th June 2019 at 10:17. Reason: Please use only this forum's smileys in your posts
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 09:52   #1085
BHPian

My question on Dubai visa for a transit time of 7 hours is not yet answered. Should I get a visa for transit alone? Requesting esteemed members to guide me. Somehow with the help of trip advisor and other sites, I have planned my trip. This will be my first international solo trip. Any other pointers ? Also has anyone visited Jordon? Should I carry money in ₹ or $ or Jordian Dinar?
Old 14th June 2019, 10:14   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My question on Dubai visa for a transit time of 7 hours is not yet answered. Should I get a visa for transit alone? Requesting esteemed members to guide me. Somehow with the help of trip advisor and other sites, I have planned my trip. This will be my first international solo trip. Any other pointers ? Also has anyone visited Jordon? Should I carry money in ₹ or $ or Jordian Dinar?
No. If all legs of your flight are with EK, you will stay within T3 of DXB airport. If your connection to Jordan is through any other airline, then check which terminal it departs from. Even then, as long as you're within DXB you don't have to get a transit visa. I have spent 9hrs sometimes in DXB just staying within the airport itself. I spend time in the lounge, then roam around and get back to the lounge. The airport is massive and you can spend close to two hours just exploring the various shops and display cars etc. Plenty of options for food as well. For first timers, the airport is nothing but a huge shopping mall with gates placed all around.
Terminal 3 has three concourses, A, B and C. Typically the flights to India and similar developing countries operate out of C and sometimes B. The more important cities and ones which are handled by the A380 are operated out of A. B is like an intermediate. Transiting between C and B is by walk, and B and A is by an underground automated train. For a direct link from C to A there is a bus, but I would prefer walking from C to B and taking train to A from there. Not sure if the bus is faster if someone has a time crunch.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:57   #1087
A M
BHPian

Quote:
You won't need a transit visa in Dubai if you're staying within the airport. If you have enough time and wish to explore the city, there is a visa on arrival option for 20AED.

For Jordan, carry USD or Jods (preferable) if possible. However, there are plenty of currency exchangers in Amman where you can convert USD to Jods. Converting INR would be difficult though. Get yourself a multi-currency card and you should be good.
A M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 12:07   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As others have rightly answered, you can very well spend 7 hours at the DXB Airport. I had similar time between flights and I could easily walk with my minimal hand baggage all around the airport window shopping. Something that my daughter wanted from a Toy shop was another compulsive reason to visit nearly every toy shop at the terminal . Options to eat are aplenty too as Audioholic has rightly mentioned.

During one of my onward journeys, I put full use of my transit Visa that was invariably granted due to 3 hours delay in departure from BLR that resulted in missing my connecting flight. The only option was flying next day and hence we were accommodated at a Hotel and then spent the entire evening touring Dubai!

Last edited by navin : 14th June 2019 at 13:40. Reason: typos
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 12:41   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a transit through London Heathrow (LHR) to a Schengen country. I am aware that Indians need a Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) for even transiting through the UK but one of the listed exemptions include a valid US visa.

Is this correct? I'm formally checking with HMG Border Agency but just wanted to check on this forum too. I am assuming this means that I must ensure my onward flight is also from LHR and not Gatwick etc.
Old 14th June 2019, 12:53   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Planning a transit through London Heathrow (LHR) to a Schengen country. I am aware that Indians need a Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) for even transiting through the UK but one of the listed exemptions include a valid US visa.
A D type EU Schengen visa or resident permit is also sufficient.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 13:15   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
A D type EU Schengen visa or resident permit is also sufficient.
Thanks but should have been clearer - I am going to the EU on a combined Business / Tourist 'C' multi-entry (max 30 day continuous stay) visa. So cannot use the 'D' Schengen exemption.
Old 18th June 2019, 10:34   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
No. If all legs of your flight are with EK, you will stay within T3 of DXB airport. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
You won't need a transit visa in Dubai if you're staying within the airport. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
As others have rightly answered, you can very well spend 7 hours at the DXB Airport. ..
Thanks a lot for answering my questions and sharing some helpful tips and pointers! I am now all clear and set to book my tickets this weekend!
Old 17th July 2019, 17:28   #1093
BHPian

So glad that I came here with my query after trying to find answers from official website of UK Government. I see already people in similar dilemma as mine.

I would be travelling to India through UK .

I am arriving at Heathrow T5 by 2150 from Europe and have onwards flight from T3 next day morning. Given the long transit I would prefer making way to some hotel to catch sleep overnight.

UK Gov website states I need visa with exemption rules.

Those applicable to me seem

1. Purpose of stay should be transit only
2. Travel only by air
3. Should hold EEA common format residence permit which I have.
4. Onward flight should be beofre midnight of the next day of arrival in UK

With all above, I guess i should be able to cross border control without visa and stay overnight at a hotel.

I wanted to know if someone has experienced this hands-on and hassles if any.

I do have UK visa but my accompanying family hasnt and hence I am trading more carefully lest, they may face inconvenience.
Old 24th July 2019, 22:48   #1094
BHPian

Traveling from Mumbai to HK via SG. Need some advice here folks. The questions might appear to be quite elementary but that is because I will be traveling business class for the first time

Singapore Airlines.
Onward: BOM to SG, 3 hour layover, SG to HK.
Return: HK to SG but only 1 hour layover, SG to BOM.

Queries:
1) Is 1 hour enough to change the flight while returning at Changi? Same airline, just a different flight and hence a different terminal. Will I face any issues, assuming my incoming flight is on time?

1a) Do I have to take my luggage and re-check-in or will it be seamless (I hope so)?

2) I will have access to International Lounge at BOM. What facilities can I avail at the lounge? I have a late night flight.

3) During the 3 hour layover at SG, I guess 90mins will go in check-in/transit, but what else can I see/do there? I have heard Changi is a very good airport with many good options to see.

-Sunil

Last edited by sunilch : 24th July 2019 at 22:49.
Old 24th July 2019, 23:08   #1095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post

Singapore Airlines.
Onward: BOM to SG, 3 hour layover, SG to HK.
Return: HK to SG but only 1 hour layover, SG to BOM.

Queries:
1) Is 1 hour enough to change the flight while returning at Changi? Same airline, just a different flight and hence a different terminal. Will I face any issues, assuming my incoming flight is on time?
-Sunil
Its more than enough, since its the same airline and same terminal you should be okay. You will be first out, follow the signs to the next boarding gate. The worst case is if flight is slightly late they will station someone as you exit the plane (with a sign - Bombay flights), they all rush you through and ensure priority screening. The flight will be held for5-10 min more to get you in

Quote:
1a) Do I have to take my luggage and re-check-in or will it be seamless (I hope so)?

Seamless, all automated, I have done 45 min transfers and all baggage intact

Quote:
2) I will have access to International Lounge at BOM. What facilities can I avail at the lounge? I have a late night flight.
Free food, free petroleum spirit, place to work from, maybe even a shower

Quote:
3) During the 3 hour layover at SG, I guess 90mins will go in check-in/transit, but what else can I see/do there? I have heard Changi is a very good airport with many good options to see

On contrary, you will have the next boarding card. You can walk around the airport and see the gardens etc. There will be leaflets detailing all over. Try and get to gate around 45 min before boarding. Biz class means you have priority boarding
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks