Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 14:18   #1141
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

I'm being offered the following itinerary on Cathay Pacific for my upcoming Bangalore-Toronto travel. Flying in Economy with wife and 3-year old daughter with full luggage as allowed by the airline.

Blore - HongKong - A330
HongKong - Toronto - A350

1. Is travel via HK okay now?
2. How is Cathay Pacific?
3. Any alternate preferred route/airline?
4. Arrival in HK is 0930 and departure of Toronto flight is 1035, both from Terminal-1. Isn't this a bit tight?

First time I'll be flying eastwards!! And A350!!

Last edited by prashkul : 25th October 2019 at 14:22.
Old 25th October 2019, 14:32   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Cathay is pretty good. Have used them for Auckland runs since they are cheaper than Singapore Airlines. The situation in HK is still volatile so if you are not getting a significantly better deal, fly some other airline.

Toronto is East Coast so wouldn’t the Atlantic route be shorter? Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Turkish airlines etc May be much better options.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2019 at 19:20. Reason: Edited on request.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 16:29   #1143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
1. Is travel via HK okay now?
2. How is Cathay Pacific?
3. Any alternate preferred route/airline?
4. Arrival in HK is 0930 and departure of Toronto flight is 1035, both from Terminal-1. Isn't this a bit tight?

First time I'll be flying eastwards!! And A350!!
Travel through HK should be fine as long as you do not pass immigration into the main area! Fat chance, considering you have only 90 min. Chances are someone will meet you and whisk you to the other gate.

Worst case scenario is if the pilot cannot make it to the airport but am sure Cathy have got contingencies in place
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 21:16   #1144
Distinguished - BHPian

Recent Chennai Airport (International) Experience

I did one of my rare travels a few weeks ago, taking the BA flight from Chennai to Heathrow.

Departing from Chennai was not fun at all. There was a huge queue for emigration control, with a tiny number of officers and lots of empty desks. They must be badly overworked: the officer that checked me out was actually dozing off as he did so!

Security was worse. I'm used to the British kind of paranoid security theatre, (but actually, on my return, Heathrow was easy) but Chennai was awful. Everything electric had to be unpacked and placed on trays. Everything had to go through the scanner. And be repacked on the other side. They stopped me for one small allen key --- well, I suppose that proves that the whole procedure is worthwhile!

Are other Indian international departures this bad?

Anyway, anyone departing Chennai, international... Please don't go for a last-minute check-in!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 22:05   #1145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
I'm being offered the following itinerary on Cathay Pacific for my upcoming Bangalore-Toronto travel. Flying in Economy with wife and 3-year old daughter with full luggage as allowed by the airline.

Blore - HongKong - A330
HongKong - Toronto - A350
Too long flight, not recommended at all even if you are saving a lot. Instead, take something via Europe (KLM/ Lufthansa /Turkish) or Direct from Delhi, Air India three times a week and Air Canada daily. Little expensive but totally worth. Amongst the middle east carriers, Emirates & Saudi goes to Toronto. Emirates is nice and so is Turkish.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th October 2019 at 22:12.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 00:12   #1146
Team-BHP Support

Did Qatar Airways for my travel from Singapore to Philadelphia (with a stopover at Doha), and I must say that I am really impressed with the overall experience. Singapore Airlines was always my first preference and benchmark when it comes to international travel, but this one really surpassed my expectations.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 23:37   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I found that Bangalore is pretty good. The queues are usually short and immigration doesn't take more than 5 min at the most.

The worst I have seen is in Delhi where it takes a minimum of 30 min for every thing. I used to travel back from South America and had to go through immigration in Delhi before boarding the flight to Bangalore. It used to be a horrible experience, especially after you have traveled for 24 hours and 3 different flights. 30-40 minutes for immigration, then another 30 min queue to get the boarding pass for the next flight, and then no sleep for the rest of the night because the lounge was full.
Newpunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 23:49   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Me and wifey need to travel to the UK in January. I was checking the ticket prices today and was shocked to see them. Usual norm is approx. 50k for a Delhi - London non stop return flight ( +/- 10k). Flights with stop overs can usually be had for 40k or sometimes even less. This time to my utter shock, the cheapest flight it is showing is 65k which involves a low grade airline like Air Astana and that too takes 20+ hours. The cheapest non stop flight is Air India which is costing 90k.

I fail to understand what is wrong? Is there a world level event in London in January 2020?
Old 31st October 2019, 00:37   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I fail to understand what is wrong? Is there a world level event in London in January 2020?
Post exit of Jet Airways, flights to Europe have increased their ticket prices.

January is the time when Indian students return back to UK after Christmas and also is the time when Universities start their courses. So expect a large number of students filling up these flights, especially Air India, as they allow more baggage.

Air Astana has a fleet of narrowbodies. It will be a tiring journey. Try getting Sri Lankan or Kuwait airlines, they tend to be significantly cheaper on some days and they are decent for the money.

Edit: Found Sri Lankan for 18k oneway.
Attached Thumbnails
The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-screenshot_20191031004952.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 31st October 2019 at 00:52.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 02:44   #1150
Senior - BHPian

I have a sizeable interconti flight coming up (15+ hours in a single leg) and I hate airplane food. What can I carry from home (or locally sourced) so, that I can have it at different times, like at 4th 8th and 12th hour of the flight?

Also, what is the best way to carry these items in the carry-on?

Are comfort foods like curd rice an issue with security checkpoints?
Old 31st October 2019, 02:53   #1151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Me and wifey need to travel to the UK in January. I was checking the ticket prices today and was shocked to see them. Usual norm is approx. 50k for a Delhi - London non stop return flight ( +/- 10k). Flights with stop overs can usually be had for 40k or sometimes even less. This time to my utter shock, the cheapest flight it is showing is 65k which involves a low grade airline like Air Astana and that too takes 20+ hours. The cheapest non stop flight is Air India which is costing 90k.

I was in UK a few weeks ago. The non-stop BA return flight, premium economy (I like to take my knees with me when I travel) was 80-something thousand.

My friend there was looking to book a trip to Chennai and back. On hearing that he had been quoted over 900GBP on, I think, Emirates economy. I checked the BA premium-economy fare in December: it was over two thousand GBP. God help the international Indian tourist trade!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 07:18   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post

Edit: Found Sri Lankan for 18k oneway.
It is taking 30 hours!

That is 4 times the actual journey time.

Quote:
I was in UK a few weeks ago. The non-stop BA return flight, premium economy (I like to take my knees with me when I travel) was 80-something thousand.
I checked the BA premium-economy fare in December: it was over two thousand GBP. God help the international Indian tourist trade!
It is scary. I have had my fare share of international travel and these prices are just blasphemy. The business class fare is coming to 1.6L per pax and one would rather choose that over paying 1L for economy. Atleast that is technically more VFM in this case and you can cherish the experience of travelling in luxury.

If I travel to Paris and then take a connecting flight to Lodnon ( I am yet to see if this comes out cheaper), would I need an additional Schengen Visa?

Last edited by SDP : 31st October 2019 at 07:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 07:36   #1153
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Departing from Chennai was not fun at all. There was a huge queue for emigration control, with a tiny number of officers and lots of empty desks. They must be badly overworked: the officer that checked me out was actually dozing off as he did so!
Security was worse. I'm used to the British kind of paranoid security theatre, (but actually, on my return, Heathrow was easy) but Chennai was awful. Everything electric had to be unpacked and placed on trays. Everything had to go through the scanner. And be repacked on the other side. They stopped me for one small allen key --- well, I suppose that proves that the whole procedure is worthwhile!
Emigration control is rarely more than 5-10 minutes in Bombay. But the return back to India is almost always bad. It takes anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes to get your passport stamped.

About security, are you talking about Laptops in the cabin baggage. That's pretty standard now, I think.
Old 31st October 2019, 08:36   #1154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
It is taking 30 hours!
If I travel to Paris and then take a connecting flight to Lodnon ( I am yet to see if this comes out cheaper), would I need an additional Schengen Visa?
most of NRI's get vacation around Christmas and will be returning back in January. London and other major cities like Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt will be equally rushy. These European airports cater to the USA and Canada as well.

Depending on your mode of travel, you might need a Transit/ Schengen visa from Paris/ Oher European airport to the UK. If it's by Air and your luggage is booked through to London than most probably not. Best will be to check directly with the Airline or agent before booking.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...isa-in-france/
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 09:45   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
It is taking 30 hours!

That is 4 times the actual journey time.
Yes, 3 times more the time. There are slightly shorter flights also available for a bit more money but still it costs half as much as the competition even during peak season. . Try Kuwait as well. I would say they are the cheapest full service carrier in the Gulf. But the transit airport is horrible.

Living in the south of India, Sri Lankan offers me better and faster connections around the world than Air India. Infact I would say they are stealing customers from Air India. Air India better start a hub in Bangalore for European flights and US flights.

Quote:
Yes, you would need a Schengen visa if the tickets are not on the same PNR, as you will have to exit the safe zone. Regarding the Transit visa requirements, you should check with the airline or their website.

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 31st October 2019 at 09:50.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed