Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2019, 11:50   #1156
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Is ticket printouts mandatory for Bengaluru airport? Have a domestic travel coming tomorrow. Is it ok to show mobile tickets? Please advise.
Old 31st October 2019, 11:51   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Is ticket printouts mandatory for Bengaluru airport? Have a domestic travel coming tomorrow. Is it ok to show mobile tickets? Please advise.
I've always got in and out using mobile tickets on the rare occasions where I fly into rather than drive to Bangalore. I am not aware of any airport in India where printout tickets are necessary any more.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 14:00   #1158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I've always got in and out using mobile tickets on the rare occasions where I fly into rather than drive to Bangalore. I am not aware of any airport in India where printout tickets are necessary any more.
Srinagar and Imphal it seems still demand printed tickets. Anyway, you can pay the necessary charge (₹50?) and get it from the airline counter.
Old 31st October 2019, 14:22   #1159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

About security, are you talking about Laptops in the cabin baggage. That's pretty standard now, I think.
No. I'm talking about everything. eg, camera has to come out and be placed in open tray. It was a major pain in the neck... As well as worrying about security of expensive stuff.
Old 31st October 2019, 19:02   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Thank you for the reply! Is it the same with Hyderabad airport too?
Old 1st November 2019, 02:51   #1161
Senior - BHPian

You can enter the airport using the mobile ticket at Hyderabad also. If you don't have check in baggage then Hyderabad airport has a special entrance where you directly get into security ( Two entrances at both ends of the departure terminal) and everything is scanned from your mobile ticket. Worst case? you can print a boarding pass from the machines kept near the entrances. It's a breeze at Hyderabad if you just have a carry on cabin baggage.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:06   #1162
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone experiences LOT Airlines (Poland)? I have to travel from Delhi - London in month of January and the fares are just crazy expensive. This one is looking like the best option out of the lot but I have no prior experience of travelling with them nor can I find someone who has in the past used their service.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:31   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Has anyone experiences LOT Airlines (Poland)? I have to travel from Delhi - London in month of January and the fares are just crazy expensive. This one is looking like the best option out of the lot but I have no prior experience of travelling with them nor can I find someone who has in the past used their service.
LOT is a good or miss experience (not Hit or Miss). Just make sure that you pack some food and have entertainment sorted using personal devices since these may not be up to the mark or may not be available at all.

Also, the airline is not doing a commendable job on sticking to schedule so it would be good to have a longer layover and additional time in itinerary.

If you are traveling with kids, I would suggest to avoid it else if should an ok travel experience.
theflyingguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:16   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I flew LOT from Warsaw, Chopin to Copenhagen last March. It was ok and uneventful. Nothing to complain or compliment. Got me from Point A to B.
nobetterID is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 21:35   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Too long flight, not recommended at all even if you are saving a lot. Instead, take something via Europe (KLM/ Lufthansa /Turkish) or Direct from Delhi, Air India three times a week and Air Canada daily. Little expensive but totally worth. Amongst the middle east carriers, Emirates & Saudi goes to Toronto. Emirates is nice and so is Turkish.

Guess I'll fly Cathay after all. The company travel desk is still giving me only Cathay option. Since the other options are expensive, they give standard reply as flights going full etc. Is travel via HK still a concern? If it is, I can make some noise to the higher ups but if not, it won't be considered.
prashkul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 22:46   #1166
BHPian

@drmohitg

Direct flights will the best options but will be very expensive now for Jan dates. But since you are already looking at non-direct flights, Oman Air will be one of the cheapest and reasonably good. Though their baggage policy allows only 2x15kgs. Not sure about your exact dates but from second half of Jan, the prices should be better. In fact, Emirates should also be a good option for dates after 17-18 Jan. In case of Emirate, double check the arriving and departing airports- they can be different although from London itself (not really a big problem though).

Last edited by ajmat : 6th November 2019 at 22:54.
kopakabana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 04:00   #1167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post

1. Is travel via HK okay now?
2. How is Cathay Pacific?
4. Arrival in HK is 0930 and departure of Toronto flight is 1035, both from Terminal-1. Isn't this a bit tight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
The company travel desk is still giving me only Cathay option. Since the other options are expensive, they give standard reply as flights going full etc. Is travel via HK still a concern? If it is, I can make some noise to the higher ups but if not, it won't be considered.
HK airport is operating normally. If Tickets are not yet issued try escalating to seniors citing less connecting time at HongKong and the risks in case you miss the flight. Traveling with a small child should help your cause. Cathay is a very nice Airline and HK being their hub, if you miss the connection, they will accommodate you and this should be least of your worries, they have another flight in the evening

Have you checked the fares on your own? As per my experience, Cathay is normally not a cheaper option! Maybe you are flying One-Way in which case they will be right as there are limited options at economical rates on most International sectors. Do they allow you to pay the difference between cheaper and best flight? In which case, it might be worth paying little for convenience. 6 Hours + 15 Hours with a changeover is going to be tough but manageable. Less connecting time sometimes helps, sitting at Airports and waiting for hours is no fun either.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th November 2019 at 04:15.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 12:40   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Recent Chennai Airport (International) Experience

Are other Indian international departures this bad?

Anyway, anyone departing Chennai, international... Please don't go for a last-minute check-in!
Have recently done an international and a domestic trip out of Bangalore - KIAL airport and must say the immigration and security check has been relatively smooth. Immigration was adequately staffed, however security check is the same everywhere.

The resource constraints may be in the old school AAI airports I guess, however Bangalore airport does offer a decent and modern experience for passengers except for the pathetic international BLR lounge which is even worse than the domestic lounge with the same name.

International - BLR - DXB - B777 DXB - ZUR - A380 - Emirates
Domestic - BLR - MUM - BLR - A320 - GoAir
Old 7th November 2019, 13:33   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
except for the pathetic international BLR lounge which is even worse than the domestic lounge with the same name.
Now it is no longer a lounge, you just pay and get a buffet worth nothing in a restaurant near the so called lounge since they are renovating it. I went there last weekend and irrespective of whether you want to use your complimentary card, or would pay up, it is still the same buffet food. The only positive side is that you can use the free mastercard lounge access thingy to go and grab a bottle of water and something to drink, like juice or a diluted lemon tea. Expect nothing more
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 17:48   #1170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are other Indian international departures this bad?
Anyway, anyone departing Chennai, international... Please don't go for a last-minute check-in!
At Bangalore airport too it is the bad, worse during Friday evenings. It took me around 30 - 40 minutes to clear the emigration + security check. However, couple of weeks back on a Saturday night it was only half crowded.

Immigration was comparatively smoother, though the 'all electronic items in separate tray' rule does cause difficulty.

However, this seems to be becoming a norm across. Earlier I been asked to just keep laptop in a separate tray / outside cabin baggage. Nowadays even mobiles, cameras, USB cables, power banks were asked to be removed from bag and kept on a separate tray.

This was the case in Bangalore, Bangkok, Phuket and both the airports in Cambodia too. In crowded airports where you cannot track your belongings in X-Ray machine, it is bit unnerving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks