Team-BHP - The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/63892-air-travel-airports-discussion-thread-79.html)

Need some help. My wife is travelling on Turkish Airlines from here and landing in BOM with a layover in Istanbul. She is landing at just past 6 in the morning. She has to take a domestic flight to HYD. She will have to collect her baggage in BOM. But is there a change of terminal too? How easy is the transport? Are there adequate transport facilities?

The last time we flew to Udaipur some 3 years ago with a layover in BOM, we had to change terminals. It was a hassle with bad transport options etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 4689206)
But is there a change of terminal too?

Which airline is she taking for the domestic leg? Most carriers have now moved to T2 for domestic operations as well.

There is a shuttle service between T1 and T2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 4689206)
Need some help. My wife is travelling on Turkish Airlines from here and landing in BOM with a layover in Istanbul. She is landing at just past 6 in the morning. She has to take a domestic flight to HYD. She will have to collect her baggage in BOM. But is there a change of terminal too? How easy is the transport? Are there adequate transport facilities?

The last time we flew to Udaipur some 3 years ago with a layover in BOM, we had to change terminals. It was a hassle with bad transport options etc.

I've done this a couple of times. I have also flown Turkish into BOM and changed to BLR, this was on a single PNR with Air India for the domestic. What you need to do is

1: Clear immigration
2: Collect your baggage
3: Clear customs - If you are picking up your duty free - ensure it remains intact within sealed bag+ receipt. Ideally, if the bags are secure/durable, put your duty free into the checked-in bag
4: Walk out and the Air India check is just outside to check the bags in again( you should already have the boarding cards)

If your domestic tickets are separate. Follow the above, I cannot speak for the budget airlines but Jet had a facility to allow you to check in soon after customs. Then you had to take the shuttle to the appropriate terminal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4689442)
I've done this a couple of times. I have also flown Turkish into BOM and changed to BLR, this was on a single PNR with Air India for the domestic.

Why did you have to collect and re-submit the bags? If it's a single PNR, isn't it the airline's job to give you through-checked-in baggage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4689457)
Why did you have to collect and re-submit the bags? If it's a single PNR, isn't it the airline's job to give you through-checked-in baggage?

Everything and everyone needs to pass through customs and immigration at the first point of entry. The bag is checked through, its a case of retrieve and then hand back

Forgot to mention that she will be taking Indigo from BOM to HYD

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4689442)
I've done this a couple of times. I have also flown Turkish into BOM and changed to BLR, this was on a single PNR with Air India for the domestic. What you need to do is

1: Clear immigration
2: Collect your baggage
3: Clear customs - If you are picking up your duty free - ensure it remains intact within sealed bag+ receipt. Ideally, if the bags are secure/durable, put your duty free into the checked-in bag
4: Walk out and the Air India check is just outside to check the bags in again( you should already have the boarding cards)

If your domestic tickets are separate. Follow the above, I cannot speak for the budget airlines but Jet had a facility to allow you to check in soon after customs. Then you had to take the shuttle to the appropriate terminal.

Ok thanks for that - looks like she will have to move to a different terminal then - like libran mentions below. I hope the transit between terminals goes without a hitch. I cannot imagine the hassle with bad transport just when you are close to home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4689420)
Which airline is she taking for the domestic leg? Most carriers have now moved to T2 for domestic operations as well.

There is a shuttle service between T1 and T2.

Can anyone please guide me what is the best way to reach International Airport at Mumbai after landing via a domestic flight landing at the domestic airport. I've been informed that the shuttle service has been stopped. And what should be the reasonable margin in hours should I keep after landing on either side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abs182 (Post 4710334)
Can anyone please guide me what is the best way to reach International Airport at Mumbai after landing via a domestic flight landing at the domestic airport. I've been informed that the shuttle service has been stopped. And what should be the reasonable margin in hours should I keep after landing on either side.

You will need to take a taxi. The route is Western Express Highway —-> Elevated Airport Road. Should take about 20 minutes unless you get stuck in a bad jam (unlikely except maybe during morning and evening rush hour).

You will get prepaid taxis as well as Ola/Uber at the domestic terminal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abs182 (Post 4710334)

If you have a connecting flight booked from the same airlines they will arrange a transfer for you. But if you have different bookings/airlines then prepaid taxis available at the airport will be more than enough. You can just walk in to OLA/UBER stands there and ask for a taxi. The service is quick. At max it will take one hour during peak traffic. Otherwise it is a 20-25 mins ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunilch (Post 4710358)
If you have a connecting flight booked from the same airlines they will arrange a transfer for you. But if you have different bookings/airlines then prepaid taxis available at the airport will be more than enough. You can just walk in to OLA/UBER stands there and ask for a taxi. The service is quick. At max it will take one hour during peak traffic. Otherwise it is a 20-25 mins ride.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Clears the matter. :)

I need some help!

I am planning to attend some professional matter at the University of Berlin for a week. I intend to spend a week after that for sigh seeing (mostly The Netherlands). How do I apply for the visa as the purpose is both business and pleasure?

Is there anything I can ask the University to mention in their invitation letter?

Thanks in advance.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by feluda86 (Post 4738516)
I need some help!
How do I apply for the visa as the purpose is both business and pleasure?

You are allowed to sight-see while traveling on a business visa as long as you have documents confirming your primary purpose is business. Check with your friendly-neighbourhood travel agent if the regional German consulate is known to issue a one month visa (in which case you are all set to travel to one or more of the 26 countries "Schengen visa" counties where the german visit visa is valid by road, rail or air). But if your source informs you that the visa is likely to be date specific, you can request the university to add a statement in the invitation letter that you will attend business from day 1 -7 and plan to do some sight seeing from day 8 - 15. Good luck! And when you get your visa do come prepared for some cold weather if you are visiting in Feb\March!

British Airways and Lufthansa fined Rs 70 lakhs after 60-year old woman spends a night in Denmark airport jail thanks to their lack of co-ordination

https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...-jail/1859549/

We have all experienced poor service from airlines. Time to share some experiences. I wonder how this passenger would have been treated if she had been a white woman from say New Zealand or America? Would she have been put in lock-up for not having a transit visa {assuming they needed it} that the airline ought to have arranged? I am not surprised because I have had my share of moments with certain airlines with British Airways and United Airlines topping that list.

I have a Type C Schengen visa valid for 2 years with 90 days of stay obtained for my official visits to Sweden. I have used this to travel several times over the last 18 months to Sweden and a couple of other European countries all on business. Every time the immigration officer tells me the name of my Company after scanning the visa to verify.

My question and dilemma now is can I use this to enter Schengen for tourism with no business purpose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by feluda86 (Post 4750450)
My question and dilemma now is can I use this to enter Schengen for tourism with no business purpose?

Yes, you can. Visit and business visa for most Schengen countries is one and the same thing.