Team-BHP - The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/63892-air-travel-airports-discussion-thread-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 1559729)
I think ECNR is thing of past. Should be easy to get ECR stamp nullified.

present rules state that if anyone is not passed matriculation, he is subjected to ECR.
others who has passed matriculation and above, their passport is without any stamp, it means they are subjected to ECNR.
one of our group member has the ECR stamp on his passport. we as a group are going to visit malaysia. hence, my query in last post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1559673)
one query --
If anyone has ECR stamped on his passport and he want to travel to Malaysia, what are procedures for this ECR affair?

You have to approach the Emigration office - I think it is Director of Emigration alongwith the required documents - degree certificate / tax returns / pan card etc. (a travel agent will be able to guide you) and get the Emigration clearance or ECNR stamped.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 1559729)
I think ECNR is thing of past. Should be easy to get ECR stamp nullified.

ECR is not a thing of the past, but passports are now printed ECNR by default, rather than ECR. That is what has changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 1449228)
There was lots of walking involved from one terminal to another plus through a tube rail and security check. If you are alone then fine but if you are with kid, pls ensure you are not loosing time enroute. I reached Frankfurt at 8AM peak time so security check was too long Q (luckily I had an infant so we were bypassed the crowd and gone for security check earlier).

Abhi

No kids for me yet. At least none that I know of.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centro-P (Post 1479705)
Dude how about Edmonton-Toronto(AC) and then Toronto-Brussels and Brussels-Delhi (both JET)? I went from Toronto-Brussels-Chennai (and back )and the trip was fantastic.The waiting time at Brussels airport is not even two hours. And the food and IFE is very good as well!

For me, the layover in Toronto to catch the Brussels flight was quite a bit, and I saved close to 5-6 hours one way by taking the Frankfurt route.

And now since I'm back, I must say that I'm really impressed with Air Canada, which was never the case before. Air Canada had the typical "sarkari" attitude like Air India, and was in some ways worse than AI. But things are quite the opposite now after their privatisation. Brand new aircrafts (or at least interiors), excellent In flight entertainment (they had something like an Archos PMP on every seat in Economy Class, with so many movies, TV shows, satellite radio stations etc.), the best food in my entire journey, better than average flight attendents and they also stayed on schedule.

Lufthansa, while being punctual was quite blah. There was nothing exciting or worth mentioning about them, and they just seemed to do their job like everyone else, quite a forgettable experience in fact. However, one thing I must mention here is that their aircrafts (or at least the interiors) on important European and Asian routes appeared quite antiquated, and I must say that Air India takes better care of their Jumbos than Lufthansa does.

Probably OT but important info:

Mumbai airport will be closed for six hours every Tuesday between 12 noon and 6 pm.until March2010

Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) will be completely closed for six hours untill March 2010 due to repair and reconstruction work on the runways. The work-at the intersection of the main runway and the alternative runway- will be taken up between 12 noon and 6 pm.

This means not only that flights operations will be suspended during that time, but also that departing and arriving flights prior to the closure will have to stick strictly to their schedule, in order to avoid major delays or diversions to other airports.

MODS: I will be posting this on the YetiGuide to Airports too. If its against rules please correct me.

To avoid hassles, on Tuesdays passengers should report well in time prior to scheduled departure OR avoid your travel on Tuesdays between 12 noon and 6 pm

Also passengers are advised to collect their boarding cards and head for the boarding gates as soon as they are directed to. The flights will not wait and passengers have to be careful and make sure that they board on time.

On an unrelated note, I flew Jet Airways to Bangkok a few days ago. The experience was superb and superior to my Cathay flight in comparison.

Tomorrow I fly Kingfisher to HK. Should be interesting.

guys,

i have booked tickets with Virgin atlantic for my Christmas trip to india i.e. LHR-DEL-LHR

and at very hefty price due to unavailability of seats on direct flights between LHR and DEL.

I dint have a choice except one Emirates flight via DXB so had to book it but the reviews of Virgin Atlantic are not that good so that leaves me in a bit of confused state and now i am thinking that i should have taken Emirates deal which was 80 GBP cheaper too.

Please share your experiences with Virgin Atlantic, though i was in same situation in Oct,09 when i booked the same trip with Air India but the flight with Air India turned out to be much better than expected.

Today, my friend who is coming with our future Malaysia trip, got his new passport.
Despite submitting all documents regarding his education, he got the passport with ECR stamp.:Frustrati:
My friend is engineer and income tax payer.
What should be done?
If one applies for removal of ECR stamp from passport, how long it will take to get back the passport?

I flew Kingfisher to HK and back. Super experience. Clean flight, great service, on time arrival and departures, very good entertainment options on board.

On the return flight I asked for a Non-veg Indian meal - they had run out of stock of non veg Indian meals. I guess the disappointment was apparent on my face. I got 2 veg Indian meals and a International non veg meal + extra attention during the whole flight.

I totally recommend KF airlines on international routes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 1661129)
I flew Kingfisher to HK and back. Super experience. Clean flight, great service, on time arrival and departures, very good entertainment options on board.

On the return flight I asked for a Non-veg Indian meal - they had run out of stock of non veg Indian meals. I guess the disappointment was apparent on my face. I got 2 veg Indian meals and a International non veg meal + extra attention during the whole flight.

I totally recommend KF airlines on international routes.

+1 to that. Me too travelled with them on same sector last month. I travel a lot to far east and europe but so far for me its been the best flight. Through out the flight there were only abt 4-5 of us who were awake but stil we were taken care of very nicely. 10/10. clap:

Removal of ECR stamp (or) addition of ECNR stamp comes under miscellaneous services and is a same day service.
You submit the forms (form 2) along with xeroxes of your passport and relevant certificate and then pay 300 Rs. You can collect the passport with the ECNR stamp the same evening.
I did it in chennai a few days ago - long line but finished the work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1661119)
If one applies for removal of ECR stamp from passport, how long it will take to get back the passport?

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 1661129)
I flew Kingfisher to HK and back. .

That reminds me too - I too flew KF to HK and back. 10" screens in economy and great service and food.

I also had the opportunity to fly both Jet Airways and Cathay Pacific to BKK. Jet Airways was far superior both in Aircraft and service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1661119)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjiRoss (Post 1661381)
You can collect the passport with the ECNR stamp the same evening.

Thanks benjiross.

According to travel agency on the panel of Singapore high commision in Mumbai,
now a days, though there is any ECR stamp on passport, it should be removed in the case travel to Dubai for work only. All traveler with ECR stamp can travel without any issue to all countries with valid visa.

Malaysia has abolished transit visa on arrival for Indians. If any Indian is using KUL as transit hub, he should obtain regular visa before travel. It clearly means that there will be no visa on arrival for Indians while going to Malaysia from any airport in India.

A few queries from me:
1. Can you book your flights even without having a visa approved? I will be travelling to Adelaide end of April, but my Visa may get processed only by March. Can i take advantage of present low fares and book my ticket as the dates are more or less definite? (PS: sorry if that Q was pretty basic!!)
2. For Chennai to Adelaide my best options are malaysia Airlines all the way (via KL) or Jet/Qantas (Via Singapore). Singapore Airlines is more expensive. Which would you suggest?
3. Do you need a transit visa if you are transitting through KL or singapore - the halts are about 15 hours. Also can you do a through check in of your luggage with such a halt (more than 12 hours)
I haven't travelled international for ages and all sorts of queries pop into my head!

1. Oh yes absolutely. You can book right away. In fact in most cases, you need a confirmed ticket in order to get a visa.

2. Singapore Airlines has better aircraft, crew, food and service than Malaysian. Doesn't mean Malaysian is bad. If the price difference is less tha 2000, I would stay stick to Singapore. If it is more, than Malaysian is just fine.

3. You will need no visa as you will not be expected to leave the airport. 15 hours is a looong wait. Is there no way of avoiding this?
Try and get a business class lounge pass (assuming you're flying economy) - believe me, those easy chairs in the lounge will go a long way after a few hours.
99% your luggage will be checked in all the way to adelaide, but the prudent thing to do is ALWAYS ask the check-in staff at Chennai if your bags are checked in all the way to Adelaide.
Make ths a habit whenever you are changing flights.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjiRoss (Post 1682565)
A few queries from me:
1. Can you book your flights even without having a visa approved? I will be travelling to Adelaide end of April, but my Visa may get processed only by March. Can i take advantage of present low fares and book my ticket as the dates are more or less definite? (PS: sorry if that Q was pretty basic!!)
2. For Chennai to Adelaide my best options are malaysia Airlines all the way (via KL) or Jet/Qantas (Via Singapore). Singapore Airlines is more expensive. Which would you suggest?
3. Do you need a transit visa if you are transitting through KL or singapore - the halts are about 15 hours. Also can you do a through check in of your luggage with such a halt (more than 12 hours)
I haven't travelled international for ages and all sorts of queries pop into my head!