Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 19:40   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Depends on your priorities. I personally avoid Emirates due to 2 reasons - the flight times and the Dubai airport.
What is the problem with Dubai airport?
I am saying this because, I am planning to book a ticket for my Mom (Kolkata- Atlanta) and Emirates does have a route Kol-Dubai-Atl.
Since she will be travelling alone and first time, I am wondering what is the best route for her. I dont want her to enter into any hassle on the way.

Pls suggest !!

Abhi
Old 14th June 2010, 20:49   #242
BHPian

^^ I didn't find the Dubai airport to be much user-friendly. Other than that, there is not much problem. They have spent enough money to beautify it, but failed to install proper display boards at different locations and even clocks. But one advantage is that more than half the employees are Indians.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:05   #243
Senior - BHPian

I flew Qatar Airways from Bangalore to Washinton Dulles. The flight from Bangalore was cramped to capacity and there was bearly space to put all of my hand baggage. I could manage my laptop only. The rest I pushed under the front seat.

I could also pray in the flight so that was a very pleasing experience for me.

The Doha airport is vey nice, but some how I felt that, the people who advertise the Doha airport should come and have a look at BIAL or the one at Shamsabad. There was a line to access the toilets with one european guy going 'Come on guys' behind me. lol.
There is a mosque in the airport facility and I spent time there praying and reciting the Quran. I had a burger at the joint there and was charged 28 QAD on my Amex.

The security is good as usual.

Next, the flight from Doha to Washington, Dulles was the best. I was actually sad that 14 hours got over. I watched 2 and half men some movies offered prayers in the flight and poof time was up. Food was excellent.

I had to board United for the rest of the journey and they had a funny steward in there who was making weird comments and some really good jokes over the microphone. Eg. There were some empty window seats back near the tail and there were skimply dressed college going crowd sitting in front. He proclaimed "There are some window seats at the back if someone is interested" This was ok. Then he proclaims "There are seats. Its now are never". I found it very unprofessional and so did my American copassenger next to me. Of course some people were giggling.

And some good ones too: "Passengers who continued their journey from Washington should have their luggage with us, in theory" If not then contact xyz..

I did not find that part amusing. The Washington airport was huge and how! There is a Mosque cum Chappel there (A 34) and almost all joints are run by Indians.

EDIT: The baggage handling till Washington was excellent. They grouped all baggages person wise and Qatar airways people were assisting everyone to find their respective luggages and getting them on the trolleys. I never saw this with other airlines I flew.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 14th June 2010 at 21:14.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:22   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I am saying this because, I am planning to book a ticket for my Mom (Kolkata- Atlanta) and Emirates does have a route Kol-Dubai-Atl.
Since she will be travelling alone and first time, I am wondering what is the best route for her. I dont want her to enter into any hassle on the way.

Pls suggest !!

Abhi
If your Mom is flying Business Class, then Dubai Airport (and hence Emirates) is perfectly ok. For Economy class, there may be some little problems. The main problem with Dubai Airport is not really the airport quality (which is reasonably good) but the passenger quality. Dubai is a major middle-east transit hub for unskilled labourers from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and other poor countries. So, the ambience is not so much like a posh International airport but more like an Indian Railway station with people sleeping on the floor, no chair to sit, stinking waiting areas, long queues at toilets and the list goes on.
I am not sure if the situation changed with the new Emirates terminal as I stopped using Dubai as a transit point for over 3 years now for the issues listed above.

Last edited by sabynag : 14th June 2010 at 21:23.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:27   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Once i land in europe, i need a rail pass, as I am doing a 12 day tour of Italy, Swiss, France and Amsterdam, Please suggest which is the better rail service as I heard there are 4 train operators and costs vary.
Regarding the passes, I'd suggest only to buy Swiss pass assuming you are staying in this country atleast for 3 days. Travelling in Switzerland is damn expensive. Besides the passes give you 50% reduction in fares for cablecars and mountain railways that are not covered in the pass.

For Italy and France the Point to Point tickets work out cheaper as once you reach Paris or Rome, you'd stay there atleast for couple of days in which case the pass day is lost. Holland is a small country so don't think passes would be that useful.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:53   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pls suggest !!

Abhi
Abhi, I don't think there is any issue with the Airport. You mom will be comfortable in there. Since you can see considerable amount of north indian travelling in this wing almost everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
^^ I didn't find the Dubai airport to be much user-friendly. Other than that, there is not much problem. They have spent enough money to beautify it, but failed to install proper display boards at different locations and even clocks. But one advantage is that more than half the employees are Indians.
I don't know what you mean here. I see sign boards every couple of meters, clocks almost every alternate gates, etc. I am not sure what is the problem here. What is not marked properly? Am I missing something here?
Old 14th June 2010, 21:57   #247
Team-BHP Support

Anyone know best way to book american domestic tickets online?
Old 14th June 2010, 23:01   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Abhi, I don't think there is any issue with the Airport. You mom will be comfortable in there. Since you can see considerable amount of north indian travelling in this wing almost everyday.

I don't know what you mean here. I see sign boards every couple of meters, clocks almost every alternate gates, etc. I am not sure what is the problem here. What is not marked properly? Am I missing something here?
, my colleague's wife came from BLR and she found no issues with the DXB airport. She found her way through the transit processes etc. Same with JFK.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:19   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Well, this was some time back. First, when I landed in DXB, there was no gate available for the aircraft which came from FRA. We were taken in a bus and had to walk some distance in the heat to reach the airport. Then, another set of security check! There was a mad rush and I could experience India in Dubai itself. Nobody to properly direct the people and 3 lanes merging into one at the end etc. After this, I went to the terminal and I had to walk to the centre of the long hall to find an information counter with displays. Not even a clock was there to see the time, anywhere else. Everything was at the centre of that long alley. Maybe things have changed. But somehow, I never felt comfortable with DXB, maybe I'm spoilt by FRA.

And, some interesting read : BBC NEWS | UK | Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

Last edited by A350XWB : 15th June 2010 at 13:23.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:29   #250
Team-BHP Support

Abi - best solution is to ask for wheelchair assistance for your mother. Then she will get looked after. Else, my advice is she gets off flight, before entering security, use the toilets over there (not as soon as she is off the flight but to walk a little) as there is a huge queue in the temrinal. Once past security, finding the gate is easy
Old 15th June 2010, 19:19   #251
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot folks, I will be open while booking tickets atleast Kol-FRA-ATL and KOL-DXB-ATL route.
I also see a Delta direct flight MUM - ATL. I have never been to mumbai airport. if at all I get good deal for Kol-Mum-ATL, what do you suggest? Does she have to collect baggage in Mumbai and travel from Domestic to International terminals (I did the same in Delhi when I came last Nov).

Any other suggessions is highly appreciated. (Mom's visa interview is on 23rd so I will book the tickets on 23rd or 24th.)

Abhi
Old 15th June 2010, 22:07   #252
Team-BHP Support

She has to pick up the bag, pass customs and immediatlly hand back to domestic airline - at least for Jet. After that, they cram you on a bus to domestic
Old 15th June 2010, 22:11   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Anyone know best way to book american domestic tickets online?
Try Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Travel Deals - KAYAK - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once
Old 16th June 2010, 13:29   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot folks, I will be open while booking tickets atleast Kol-FRA-ATL and KOL-DXB-ATL route.
I also see a Delta direct flight MUM - ATL. I have never been to mumbai airport. if at all I get good deal for Kol-Mum-ATL, what do you suggest? Does she have to collect baggage in Mumbai and travel from Domestic to International terminals (I did the same in Delhi when I came last Nov).

Any other suggessions is highly appreciated. (Mom's visa interview is on 23rd so I will book the tickets on 23rd or 24th.)

Abhi
AFAIk She wouldnt have to worry about the luggage in case she is flying Jet or Kingfisher on the CCU-BOM sector as they have interairline arrangements with most intl airlines(it would mean your mom can carry extra luggage as per the Intl flight allowances),but the downside to this is that you wouldnt be able to avail the cheap domestic fares as Jet/KF would charge you a different class fare.Mumbai airport is very user friendly so no worries on that front and plus the transfer from domestic to Intl is also relatively easy,they have transfer which runs along the runway so no traffic chaos.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:01   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Abhi
there is no direct BOM-ATL flight. it was stopped in october last year. the current delta flight has a stop off in amsterdam for around 2.5 hours where the plane has to be changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks