Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 19:54   #886
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Folks,

I will be travelling to Maldives via Trivandrum and have a 10 hour layover. I am flying Air India business all the way from Delhi. Is there a Star Alliance/AI lounge at Trivandrum and if yes, is it good enough to take a peaceful nap?

If no, are there any decent hotels in the vicinity?

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 24th May 2016, 21:20   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Folks,

I will be travelling to Maldives via Trivandrum and have a 10 hour layover. I am flying Air India business all the way from Delhi. Is there a Star Alliance/AI lounge at Trivandrum and if yes, is it good enough to take a peaceful nap?

If no, are there any decent hotels in the vicinity?

Regards,
Saurabh
Looks like there is a lounge. See http://www.airindia.in/thiruvananthapuram.htm
Old 25th May 2016, 08:33   #888
BHPian

Flying SFO-AUH-BLR with a 90 minute stopover in Abudhabi. Do you think it is sufficient to switch terminals in Abudhabi given the short duration ? Do they give consideration for security checks in these situations ?
Old 25th May 2016, 09:27   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Flying SFO-AUH-BLR with a 90 minute stopover in Abudhabi. Do you think it is sufficient to switch terminals in Abudhabi given the short duration ? Do they give consideration for security checks in these situations ?
I think flashing your boarding pass to the airline staff when you make your way should work. My colleagues who have transit through AUH have managed one hour transits. Just talk to the staff at the airport and they will guide you and will at most cases put you into business class security where the crowd is less.

Two months back, I managed a 40 minute stopover in DXB on the way to FRA. My flight from BLR to DXB was 20 minutes late and reached DXB at 1340 while the next flight to FRA was at 1420(gates close). In between, I had to clear security, take the train to the other terminal and yet managed to board by 1410. There was a huge rush at security but I contacted emirates staff near the counter and they led me through the rush and helped me clear security in a business class queue
Old 25th May 2016, 11:34   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
90 minutes is enough to switch terminals at AUH.

There will be a security check to pass but it is very efficient at AUH and also the airport itself is not that huge.

The information desk at AUH is placed between terminals and you can't miss it hence getting gate info won't be difficult.
Old 27th May 2016, 16:58   #891
BHPian

How's the Malaysian Airlines economy class now? I wanted to fly in Cathay Pacific but my organization didn't allow me. I am traveling from Hyderabad to Manila with a layover in Kuala Lumpur. Any other tips?
Old 27th May 2016, 17:17   #892
Senior - BHPian

I'm flying to LAX (from BLR) on sunday morning.
I'll be flying cathay pacific (Dragonair from BLR) . Is it absolutely necessary to do an online check in ?

I'm asking this as I'll be flying with friends at the airport and would like to select seats next to each other.
Old 27th May 2016, 18:44   #893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'm flying to LAX (from BLR) on sunday morning.
I'll be flying cathay pacific (Dragonair from BLR) . Is it absolutely necessary to do an online check in ?

I'm asking this as I'll be flying with friends at the airport and would like to select seats next to each other.
I would suggest all of you check in online and try and get good seats. If not for the flight to HKG, definitely for the flight to LAX since that will be long.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 16:04   #894
BHPian

My dad recently completed one million miles on United Airlines and got his Million Miler certificate and card.
Attached Thumbnails
The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-1cert.jpg  

The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-card.jpg  

searchingheaven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 09:10   #895
BHPian

Hi,

I flew Pune-Delhi-Shanghai-Beijing last weekend.
Total flight time = 28 hours (which includes 9 hours 30 mins of 'delay').

Delhi-Shanghai-Beijing were delayed 5 hours & 4 hours respectively.

Now, I just checked my office travel insurance - which has insurance against 8 hour+ delay and amount is 1000USD.

To avail this insurance do I need expense details/bills or is this flat 1000USD compensation for the delay time?

I did spend some money on food/drinks but don't have the bills for them.

Inputs on how to make the claim, please.

Thanks,

Ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
My dad recently completed one million miles on United Airlines and got his Million Miler certificate and card.
Off-topic:
Cheers!
That's a lot of flying. Phew.
That reminded me of "Up in the Air"
That movie is so good!
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 01:29   #896
BHPian

Planning to fly to MUC in Sept, can someone who has flown Turkish and Oman Air tell me which is a better option amongst the two? There's a third option too - Air France which is slightly more expensive. Also, is 1 hr 20 min stopover at IST too less?

Last edited by prateekm : 9th July 2016 at 01:32.
Old 9th July 2016, 02:17   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Planning to fly to MUC in Sept, can someone who has flown Turkish and Oman Air tell me which is a better option amongst the two? There's a third option too - Air France which is slightly more expensive. Also, is 1 hr 20 min stopover at IST too less?
My choice will be Air France>Turkish>Oman. Haven't flown the latter two but a few colleagues got the unfortunate opportunity to fly Oman and they didn't have good things to say about the whole experience. If Air France is an option cost wise then why not the Middle east carriers is Emirates and Qatar? To the best of my knowledge the prices of these two are usually between Oman, Kuwait types and less than the European carriers. Emirates has good connectivity with MUC and you also have good options with respect to timings.

If this isn't a business travel then try booking mid week or start of the week. It's usually cheaper than flying on a weekend.

Btw for the general thread, I took seat 81A on an emirates A380 since there was no seat in front of it. Trust me, it's the best seat I have ever been in economy. There is a similar seat 61 or something which is also good to try. It's one to behind the emergency exit row and the row in front has only two seats. Hence we get extra legroom, access to aisle and galley , and a window view all in one place

Last edited by audioholic : 9th July 2016 at 02:21.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 22:47   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Also, is 1 hr 20 min stopover at IST too less?
Back in 2010, i flew BOM-IST-NUE with a 1:30 hour layover and i comfortably caught my next flight. Ataturk (IST) is not really a huge airport so if your flights are on time, you should be ok unless you want to visit the duty feee area :-)
It was Turkish airways and i liked the food.
kopakabana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 01:41   #899
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Planning to fly to MUC in Sept
You can route via Delhi , Lufthansa flies directly from Delhi - 00:45 , can take a late evening flight from Mumbai/ Pune to Delhi.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 17:20   #900
BHPian

Lufthansa has a direct flight from BOM too, but it was turning out to be 10k more than Turkish. Booked Turkish anyway, got a good deal at 35k (BOM-MUC-BOM).

Most Viewed