Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 17:27   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Lufthansa has a direct flight from BOM too, but it was turning out to be 10k more than Turkish. Booked Turkish anyway, got a good deal at 35k (BOM-MUC-BOM).
Problem with the direct Lufthansa flight is their check in baggage is only 23kilos which might be a problem if you are going for a long duration. Though my travels usually last a few weeks, I end up taking around 25+ everytime and return topped to 30( bring a lot of stuff for car, home, chocolates and juices) so usually I dont prefer the direct connection
Old 6th September 2016, 15:36   #902
BHPian

18 hour layover at London Heathrow

Guys, need some help and advice.

I have a flight in December: SFO-LHR-BOM. The problem is that while booking the flight I missed this part that I have an 18-hour layover at LHR (was super happy to get a cheap deal for this time of the year so booked the flight without a second look at the details). I reach LHR at 2:55 pm on 10th Dec and my flight to BOM is at 9:55 am on 11th Dec (both times are local times LHR).

I have the following queries:

1. I want to know if I would require a transit visa.
2. Can I stay overnight at the airport (irrespective of the fact that I require a transit visa or not)?
3. Is there even a slim chance that British Airways would give me an earlier flight?

Thanks,
Bhargav
Old 6th September 2016, 16:13   #903
Senior - BHPian

Re: 18 hour layover at London Heathrow

You can ask BA if there's an earlier flight and if your ticket (hopefully not ultra cheap and inflexible) allows changes, and if there's any fare difference, which can be hefty.

Transit without visa - you need to have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive

There are two transit hotels "airside" at Heathrow T4 and T5 -- and they are disgustingly expensive.

BA might not check your bags through to India if you are on an 18 hour layover in which case you will have to clear immigration to retrieve and then recheck your bags.

If you meet that criterion about on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive - then try to stay in the airport, but I hope you are traveling light and don't have to check your bags in.

You're well advised to see if BA can rebook you to an earlier flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I have the following queries:

1. I want to know if I would require a transit visa.
2. Can I stay overnight at the airport (irrespective of the fact that I require a transit visa or not)?
3. Is there even a slim chance that British Airways would give me an earlier flight?

Thanks,
Bhargav
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:41   #904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There are two transit hotels "airside" at Heathrow T4 and T5 -- and they are disgustingly expensive.
London hotels are expensive anyway: I dread to think what a hotel room inside Heathrow Airport would cost. Hundreds (GBP)? Or even more?
Old 6th September 2016, 18:47   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
London hotels are expensive anyway: I dread to think what a hotel room inside Heathrow Airport would cost. Hundreds (GBP)? Or even more?
http://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/london-heathrow-airport
Closed aug 29 - sep 11 for maintenance works

Looks like 107 quid for a notional 18 hours. Not terribly bad but there are certainly cheaper alternatives.

And there's one in T3 - I forgot the T5 one (sofitel / radisson) is landside, that is, requires immigration.

http://www.no1traveller.com/airside-bedrooms.htm and that's a 100 for 6 hours, 20 more for each additional hour.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 20:13   #906
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I missed this part that I have an 18-hour layover at LHR (was super happy to get a cheap deal for this time of the year so booked the flight without a second look at the details)
If you can't cancel or modify flight to an early one, your best bet will be to apply for short term visa- visitor in transit visa
https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa/visitor-in-transit-visa

It will cost ( Rs 5310 ) but worth to avoid hassles you might face without Visa. Think as a stopover you can spend some good time in London.

Quote:
BA might not check your bags through to India if you are on an 18-hour layover in which case you will have to clear immigration to retrieve and then recheck your bags.
No, They will check in through to Mumbai unless you specifically ask them.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th September 2016 at 20:15.
Old 6th September 2016, 20:29   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It will cost ( Rs 5310 ) but worth to avoid hassles you might face without Visa. Think as a stopover you can spend some good time in London.

No, They will check in through to Mumbai unless you specifically ask them.
I am not at all sure that BA will allow through checkin for flights that are > 12 hours apart. OP had better call BA and confirm, if they refuse to accommodate him on an earlier flight.

As Turbanator suggests, getting a visa and spending the day / night in a hotel might be cheaper. Or maybe the cost of that airport transit hotel might be cheaper than an external hotel + visa fee, who knows.
Old 7th September 2016, 02:05   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can ask BA if there's an earlier flight and if your ticket (hopefully not ultra cheap and inflexible) allows changes, and if there's any fare difference, which can be hefty.

Transit without visa - you need to have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
Thanks hserus and Turbanator for your replies!

I read the same sentence (quoted in bold) on the UK immigration website. So if I understand right, does it mean this:

I reach LHR at 2:55 pm on the 10th. So I can stay airside if I have a confirmed onward flight that leaves before 11:59pm on the 11th. Is this correct? So, in this case I won't require a transit visa.

-Bhargav
Old 7th September 2016, 06:28   #909
Senior - BHPian

Nope. That would become midnight on the next day. They mean 00:00 on the same night / the next early morning, not 00:00 the next night

Get a visitor visa rather than a transit visa - almost he same cost and certainly the same effort with your tax returns and all the other paperwork (the Brits love it much more than the Schengen countries and the USA, as you'll find out)

Go into London and spend a few hours in the city - the Paddington Express will get you downtown quite fast and the area near Paddington Station has several cheaper B&Bs if cost is a concern.

Last edited by hserus : 7th September 2016 at 06:31.
Old 26th April 2017, 20:25   #910
BHPian

Re: B1/B2 visa and personal vacation?

One of my relative has a B1/B2 US visa which she got through her company. She also traveled for business once on the same visa. The visa has a validity of another 6 years and she would like to know whether she can travel for vacation using the same visa?

Would there be any issues at POE? B2 seems to be for tourist purpose.
Can she leverage that part of the visa for personal travel?

Please advise.
Old 19th May 2017, 17:06   #911
Senior - BHPian

Re: B1/B2 visa and personal vacation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
One of my relative has a B1/B2 US visa which she got through her company. She also traveled for business once on the same visa. The visa has a validity of another 6 years and she would like to know whether she can travel for vacation using the same visa?

Would there be any issues at POE? B2 seems to be for tourist purpose.
Can she leverage that part of the visa for personal travel?

Please advise.
Replying late, but thought let it be here for others who might have a similar query. I have done multiple business and personal visits using the B1/B2 visa that was stamped on my passport. Not just me, another close friend of mine as well. In the latter's case, the first trip (and the visa application) was done for a vacation and subsequent trips except the last one a year or so ago, were done on business.

A few tips:
  • Be polite and firm in what you tell the Border Control Officer at the POE - business or personal visit
  • Have all documentation handy - confirmed (return) flight tickets, hotel bookings, invitation letter, itinerary, etc
  • Answer to the point -I have seen some IT professionals explaining Java and C# concepts when asked what they're planning to do in the US during the course of their stay. They don't care about it, unless they want to play along.
Disclaimer: These are from the BT (before Trump) era. YMMV.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 15:21   #912
BHPian

The B1/B2 visa is a multipurpose visa which allows you to do business as well as tourism to the USA. The Visa is provided to an individual and not to a company. This visa can be used for business and tourism, one needs to ensure proper documentation is provided at the point of entry and questions are answered to the satisfaction of the border security officials
Old 5th June 2017, 17:24   #913
BHPian

Hi,

Travelling to the US on a B1/B2 Visa, in September. This being the first time, can someone please help me with the right route to take?

1) MAA-BOM-AMS-ATL on Jet Airways
2) MAA-LHR-ATL on British Airways
3) MAA-FRA-ATL on Lufthansa
4) Middle eastern carriers with domestic transit through BOS

Bias towards Jet since I am on the silver tier and can afford a J class upgrade through miles. Any other thoughts/experiences? Thank you!

Last edited by ramprakashr : 5th June 2017 at 17:26.
Old 5th June 2017, 18:07   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashr View Post
Hi,

Travelling to the US on a B1/B2 Visa, in September. This being the first time, can someone please help me with the right route to take?

1) MAA-BOM-AMS-ATL on Jet Airways
2) MAA-LHR-ATL on British Airways
3) MAA-FRA-ATL on Lufthansa
4) Middle eastern carriers with domestic transit through BOS
Are you travelling alone or with family. If travelling with family (and having kids <5 yrs), it would be preferred to go with the minimum stops. Every layover would be atleast 2-3 hours if not more and the kids will go crazy. More so you will end up hauling their food items etc for a longer time. Also check the luggage allowances, I guess Lufthansa has lower baggage allowance.
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 19:30   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Are you travelling alone or with family. If travelling with family (and having kids <5 yrs), it would be preferred to go with the minimum stops. Every layover would be atleast 2-3 hours if not more and the kids will go crazy. More so you will end up hauling their food items etc for a longer time. Also check the luggage allowances, I guess Lufthansa has lower baggage allowance.

Thank you GJ01!

I am travelling alone this time. But yes, transit should be a pain. I think I will go with BA! Thank you again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks