Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2017, 19:55   #946
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Haha; I know this is a very popular opinion but somehow I've had a good experience the three times I've flown AI: between DEL - ORD.
Sure, truth is we all have our own experiences and they don't necessarily tally of course.

My wife and I have flown from Amsterdam recently via Gatwick to Barbados to visit her family. It had been a while since I flew BA, but I must admit we werent impressed at all.

I'd say to few flight attendants, we were served an ok-lunch. But team, after an 8.5 hour flight was just that tea with one biscuit. I could not even get a second biscuit. Apperently they carry the exact number of biscuits per passenger.

BA cabin crew is not a happy lot at the moment and it showed. Used to like flying with them, not so sure

If you had asked me 10 years ago about KLM I wouldnt have been that positive. These days I really like them . So these things change over time as well. Own preferences change perhaps and the world changes as well.

Happy flying

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 20:19   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
should have been clear. Got the point.

I will be travelling Economy, company policy and hence need some suggestions on which are the best possible flight routes and connections to make and looking for suggestions from people who may have made similar travel in the recent times.

Fly Emirates if you can. Just one reason. Internet of 500mb for dirt cheap rates. Whatsapp and normal browsing like twitter works. In a long flight this helps. And the food options and entertainment options are top class.
Old 24th July 2017, 21:36   #948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
... ... ... But team, after an 8.5 hour flight was just that tea with one biscuit. I could not even get a second biscuit. Apperently they carry the exact number of biscuits per passenger. .... ... ...
Goodness, have things got that bad? As the only direct flight Heathrow/Chennai, I don't feel that I have any choice but to fly BA. I have not yet reached the exalted and rarefied atmosphere of business class (although I am sort-of saving up for that for my next trip, at least one way) but can't stand 11 hours cattle-class either, do I pay the extra for what I call premium-cow class. Trips have been few and far between, the last July '15 and the next maybe July '18, but last time there was still limitless tea and biscuits at the back of the plane. Could probably get it at the seat, but the walk is pleasant.

The staff used to be pleasant too. I gather that BA might not be the best employer in the world.
Old 24th July 2017, 22:14   #949
Senior - BHPian

This might sound derogatory on quite a few different levels, but considering the type of a majority of passengers carried by AI, I would term the airline the best in the world.

Which other airline have you availed who had to display videos (animated - of course !) on how to use the loo? And still then the idiots spray all over and try to flush their trash down?

Or where passengers stand up on the seat handles for accessing their stowed overhead luggage when the aircraft is on final landing approach?

or where passengers pass lewd remarks at cabincrew, address them as 'tu', 'aunty ji' etc.?

Sure - AI has it's fair share of problems, including bureaucratic attitude, but if a J class passenger scribbles on the leather armrest with a pen (seen firsthand), there's hardly anything anyone can do.
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 23:01   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The only people who still fly them are the real loyalists who like being served Indian food by women in saris.
My friend who is a teacher/researcher in a Government run University told me that they need to travel by Air India for official work, provided Air India flight is available to their destination. I believe this rule apply to Government employees just to make sure that Air India gets some business.
Old 25th July 2017, 00:16   #951
Senior - BHPian

I've used AI FRA-DEL once, paid a ransom for the ticket, the only reason being, it was a direct flight to my destination. Worst experience ever, Online check in didn't work, could not avail my frequent flyer miles online, food was pathetic, service lack lustre, on my return flight they told me to check in personally at airport 5 hrs before departure, and air hostesses
Gosh, I swear, I will never fly AI again, even if they offer me a free ticket around the world, seriously.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 21:27   #952
BHPian

Ground Collision at JFK airport on 15th aug 2017

The wingtip of a Delta Air Lines plane clipped the tail section of an American Airlines aircraft on Tuesday at the John F Kennedy International Airport.
Officials from the Port Authority said the wingtip of the Delta Air Lines Boeing 737, which was bound for Seattle, made contact with the American Airlines plane waiting for departure clearance.
The American plane’s ‘stabilizer’ was clipped and the Delta aircraft ‘sustained damage to the left winglet’ following the incident that took place shortly after 7pm Tuesday evening.

Here is the pilot and tower audio ATC tape.

sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 20:25   #953
BHPian

Just read this amazing trip by a Delta aeroplane during the biggest hurricane ever - Irma
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es-puerto-rico
Old 17th September 2017, 12:25   #954
BHPian

Dear experts, I had a query. We might be making a Dubai vacation in the last week of December. I have some Skywards miles on Emirates, but not enough to use for flights. So I was considering redeeming them to buy vouchers for some attractions/partners like Arabian Adventures, etc. Does anyone have any experience in this?

How do I use these vouchers to buy tickets from Arabian Adventures? Do these vouchers have a code or something? When I looked at the online purchasing steps on Arabian Adventures web site, it takes only credit cards as payment methods. There doesn't seem any way to enter in a voucher value/code.
Old 17th September 2017, 12:31   #955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Dear experts, I had a query. We might be making a Dubai vacation in the last week of December. I have some Skywards miles on Emirates, but not enough to use for flights. So I was considering redeeming them to buy vouchers for some attractions/partners like Arabian Adventures, etc. Does anyone have any experience in this?

How do I use these vouchers to buy tickets from Arabian Adventures? Do these vouchers have a code or something? When I looked at the online purchasing steps on Arabian Adventures web site, it takes only credit cards as payment methods. There doesn't seem any way to enter in a voucher value/code.
Whatever you want to buy through Skywards, will be through the Skywards website.
Old 21st September 2017, 19:21   #956
BHPian

https://www.cntraveller.in/story/spi..._medium=social

A very sad commentary on human reaction in a time of crisis. Whatever the background in a situation where people think their life is at stake, the basic instincts kick in, god help the rest.

Mods : If this is the wrong thread, please do correct it.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 19:29   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

don't try and prebook these things on Arabian Adventures, you will get some better deals once you land here. Try some site such as http://www.yallabanana.com for coupons.

Last edited by shivshanker : 21st September 2017 at 19:30.
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 19:58   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
My friend who is a teacher/researcher in a Government run University told me that they need to travel by Air India for official work, provided Air India flight is available to their destination. I believe this rule apply to Government employees just to make sure that Air India gets some business.
Look at it from a payment standpoint. The money is an internal transfer between two different ministries so can be aggregated and settled on a regular basis.

So assuming the foreign ministry has 5000 different officials and diplomats buying tickets every year, that is one or more periodic settlements between the foreign ministry and the aviation ministry, rather than 5000 tickets issued and 5000 payments collected and processed through the banking system (credit cards or whatever). Massive savings.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:51   #959
Team-BHP Support

I flew Air Asia last night: DEL - PNQ. The flight was delayed from 2240 to 0040 at noon on that day itself.

While web check-in, my wife and I were allotted seats apart. And yes, choosing any other seat than what was suggested was chargeable. This was a first.

Even the cheapest of airlines make it a point to seat all guests traveling together, together. Especially when almost half the aircraft is unassigned at the time of check-in.

While boarding, I found out that there was a family of three: which included a two-year old kid, were seated in three different rows!

How stupid is that!

The air hostesses/stewarded lacked the warmth or the inclination to resolve this: the father was told to sort it out with the passengers.

Was flying this airline for the first time, and save for an absolute lack of choice, the last time.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:20   #960
Senior - BHPian

Hope this is the right thread.

I arrive in Delhi from Trivandrum at 0525 and my international flight to Milan is at 1420. Looking for a room to just take a shower and then go for check-in and etc etc over at the international terminal.

What would be the options there? Any options in the airport itself? Would hate having to lug my travel luggage outside of the airport to a hotel and back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks