Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:13   #961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Hope this is the right thread.

I arrive in Delhi from Trivandrum at 0525 and my international flight to Milan is at 1420. Looking for a room to just take a shower and then go for check-in and etc etc over at the international terminal.

What would be the options there? Any options in the airport itself? Would hate having to lug my travel luggage outside of the airport to a hotel and back.

Hi, if you are landing at T3,premium plaza lounges in arrivals before you take the main exit have shower and short term rest facilities. If I am not wrong, shower is around 1.5K and short term stay is around 3K

Revverend
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:20   #962
Senior - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by revverend View Post
Hi, if you are landing at T3,premium plaza lounges in arrivals before you take the main exit have shower and short term rest facilities. If I am not wrong, shower is around 1.5K and short term stay is around 3K

Revverend
It is blind robbery but if you have to step into the city, cab + any decent hotel + cab fare back will cost you just as much or more.

If you have lounge access based on status, the various airline lounges tend to have showers attached and that should work better.
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:37   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It is blind robbery but if you have to step into the city, cab + any decent hotel + cab fare back will cost you just as much or more.

If you have lounge access based on status, the various airline lounges tend to have showers attached and that should work better.

Completely agree on the exorbitant cost. But it is the only option in the arrivals area. To access the departure lounge you'll have to go up do the check in,clear immigration,complete security check and move ahead. Given the time airline might not allow you to check in. If they do,then all the more better. You can also access the departure lounges with a plethora of credit and debit cards. Almost all of them have limited number of free domestic/international lounge visits built in. However if you are travelling with a guest,individual cards may be required. Otherwise lounge access cost is around 1200 for premium plaza / TFS lounges
Old 24th October 2017, 10:09   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Revverend
Forgive me for my ignorance but do they have reservation options or do i just have to walk in? Will be the most expensive shower for sure but what else to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Quote:
You can also access the departure lounges with a plethora of credit and debit cards. Almost all of them have limited number of free domestic/international lounge visits built in. However if you are travelling with a guest,individual cards may be required. Otherwise lounge access cost is around 1200 for premium plaza / TFS lounges
My card says it has lounge access to the premium plaza but only at the departure terminals. So i guess i pay 1.5k for the shower at the arrival premium plaza lounge then head over to departure finish formalities and avail the free lounge access there.

Bear with me, will the lounge have luggage storage area? I will be travelling solo.

Edit: Was looking at the plaza website and guess they do have a reservation option.

This looks promising:
Resting Area [Single Occupancy]
Hideaway from the airport crowds and rest, relax and reset in the Private Resting Area. Creating a home away from your home, the rooms are air-conditioned with full amenities, fitted with a power shower for your added convenience.

It's around 37USD for 3Hrs approx 2400 bucks. Better than paying 1500 for just the shower i reckon. Am i missing anything?

Been breaking my head over this for a week before it struck me to ask in tbhp and what do you know, tbhpians to the rescue

Last edited by deathwalkr : 24th October 2017 at 10:23.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:49   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Even the cheapest of airlines make it a point to seat all guests traveling together, together. Especially when almost half the aircraft is unassigned at the time of check-in.
My last couple of experience with SpiceJet has been similar. While checking in, the staff informed that they did not have 2 seats together and hence have to give separate rows for my wife and me, while trying to sell a "SpiceMax" seat instead. We declined it and one time was assigned seats next to each other and the other time had to sit separately. This is while checking in at least 1.5 hours earlier than then flight time.
Old 24th November 2017, 21:31   #966
BHPian

Guys need help, I am traveling to Paris tomorrow night on Emirates from Bangalore. My stopover over is in Dubai, my worry is, the stopover is only for one hour, I'm worried whether my checked in luggage will get transferred from my first flight to the other flight which I'll take to Paris.

Am I overthinking?

Last edited by anandtheleo : 24th November 2017 at 21:32.
Old 24th November 2017, 22:04   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Guys need help, I am traveling to Paris tomorrow night on Emirates from Bangalore. My stopover over is in Dubai, my worry is, the stopover is only for one hour, I'm worried whether my checked in luggage will get transferred from my first flight to the other flight which I'll take to Paris.

Am I overthinking?
You probably are. I travel regularly on Emirates and regularly on a connection from Dubai which is just 1 hour 15 minutes. Never faced any issue. They are pretty sorted as an airline. As far as I understand Emirates has a minimum one hour limit between connection flights, otherwise they don't book.

The only issue could be if the incoming flight is late and you make it even if the checked-in luggage doesn't. Then they will deliver it in the next flight. So unless you have a very short stay in Paris, you should be ok. Just carry a change of clothes in the carry-on, to be on the safer side.

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 24th November 2017 at 22:06.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 22:26   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
You probably are. I travel regularly on Emirates and regularly on a connection from Dubai which is just 1 hour 15 minutes. Never faced any issue. They are pretty sorted as an airline. As far as I understand Emirates has a minimum one hour limit between connection flights, otherwise they don't book.

The only issue could be if the incoming flight is late and you make it even if the checked-in luggage doesn't. Then they will deliver it in the next flight. So unless you have a very short stay in Paris, you should be ok. Just carry a change of clothes in the carry-on, to be on the safer side.
Thank you for the words of reassurance, I am traveling for 2weeks. I have planned to pack at least 2 days of clothes in the carry-on.

Hope it is just needless worrying on my part.
Old 25th November 2017, 09:53   #969
BHPian

Enroute to LA from bangalore and passing via Doha... the walk from the arrival gate to departure gate is quite a distance. I booked in Qatar as I have a executive membership card with BA and Qatar airways is a partner with BA...so far the experience has been very lukewarm, better to carry some home cooked food. As usual multiple checking before they let you inside the gate.
Old 26th November 2017, 13:55   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Am I overthinking?
Been travelling with Emirates (and the other Middle East carriers) on business quite often and the transfer has been always quick and uneventful. If the transit time is an hour or less, we're led to the boarding gate without going through security again. They manage to transfer the luggage also on time.

In the event that your flight into the hub gets delayed, they try to put you on the connection but the luggage could end up being sent in the next available flight to your destination. In which case, they will have it delivered to your doorstep.

I usually carry a set of clothes in my cabin bag to survive for a day or two lest my checked in baggage should get delayed.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 14:01   #971
BHPian

Quote:

Am I overthinking?
Took the same flight in 1st week october to Paris. Plenty of time. They are a well organized airline. Nothing to worry .
By the way, do worry about check-in and immigration counter delays at Paris on your way back. Suggest 1 hour additional than what you normally plan.
Old 27th November 2017, 11:38   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
Took the same flight in 1st week october to Paris. Plenty of time. They are a well organized airline. Nothing to worry .
By the way, do worry about check-in and immigration counter delays at Paris on your way back. Suggest 1 hour additional than what you normally plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Been travelling with Emirates (and the other Middle East carriers) on business quite often and the transfer has been always quick and uneventful. If the transit time is an hour or less, we're led to the boarding gate without going through security again. They manage to transfer the luggage also on time.

In the event that your flight into the hub gets delayed, they try to put you on the connection but the luggage could end up being sent in the next available flight to your destination. In which case, they will have it delivered to your doorstep.

I usually carry a set of clothes in my cabin bag to survive for a day or two lest my checked in baggage should get delayed.
Thanks guys for the points. All's well that ends well.

But it was some tense moments as the flight from Bangalore was delayed by 10 minutes and they did not disembark for a full 10 minutes and the bus they were transferring us from ended being struck in a traffic jam, talk about Murphy's law.

Once we got of the bus we were greeted by a ground staff to lead us to the gate, the flight to Paris was delayed coz of us for 20 minutes.

Overall well managed because they were able to transfer the baggage too in the chaos (organised one but).

Lesson for me is 1hour connection time is cutting it too close, with avoidable anxious moments.
Old 27th November 2017, 18:16   #973
Senior - BHPian

So i had booked a room in the premium plaza lounge at Delhi airport both at domestic and international. Small rooms, bathroom without door and with free coffee and cookies.

But beats having to go out of the airport and check in at a hotel.

37USDs for a 3Hr stay. It was cheaper booking on their site than booking at the counter directly.
Old 27th November 2017, 18:31   #974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But it was some tense moments as the flight from Bangalore was delayed by 10 minutes and they did not disembark for a full 10 minutes and the bus they were transferring us from ended being struck in a traffic jam, talk about Murphy's law.

Lesson for me is 1hour connection time is cutting it too close, with avoidable anxious moments.
As long as you are connecting between Emirates flights, they manage the situation quite well, even if it is at the cost of delaying the outbound flight. My usual journey from Bangalore to Frankfurt is with a one hour connection in Dubai. Of the many times I have taken this flight, twice I had a situation where the inbound flight was delayed. This led to me having around 50 minutes from landing of previous flight to the departure of the next flight. You just have to keep the boarding pass of the next flight in your hand and show it to every emirates staff you see You get hushed everywhere and they are the best to let you know what can be done. Once contacted the next gate and informed that I was on my way. The other time, they just told me to hurry up and made way everywhere. Even the security check was done by skipping the queue.

The worst transfer in Dubai is in case your incoming flight docks at the C concourse and the outbound flight is in A. This happened recently and it was a very long walk from the C concourse to B and then I took the train from B to A. In such a scenario I am not sure the one hour transit would work fine. I had booked a different flight which had a four hour layover hence I took my own time to walk and the good part is they have lounges in all concourses.

Is there any other way to transit between C to A? Does anyone have an idea?
Old 11th December 2017, 00:36   #975
BHPian

Guys, I am flying Emirates, returning back from the US via Dubai. I have bought a tennis racket for myself and I am wondering if I can bring it in the hand baggage (I only have a laptop bag), or do I have to put that in the check-in luggage? Any pointers?

Most Viewed