Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 07:19   #1051
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thai Lion Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
99% I dont think you need to worry.
They are decent when it comes to normal honest people who aren’t trying to “game” the system.
So I dont really think you should lose any sleep over what you’re bringing in.
I agree. I have carried my bike and most of my household stuff (including laptops, ipads and mobiles) when I moved back from the US openly. Infact my bike was boxed up like a new brand new cycle. I was armed with all the documents; 2+ year old bike bills, and similar documentation for other stuff; but they didn't even stop me.

IMO it's the attitude that matters - you try to hide and sneak through stuff, whatever be the monetary value; that will pip their interests.

Keep it open/packaged (whatever suits you), have the necessary documents and travel without a worry. For multiple electronics, carrying it open indicates it's in use (/old) and hence even lesser inspection potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Any idea about how they decide whether customs duty is payable for a product or no?
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 01:31   #1052
BHPian

Guys, I need some help.

My mother-in-law and her son are travelling from Jaipur to Manchester via Mumbai (JAI-BOM-MAN) with Jet Airways on 22.12.18. At the time of the booking the layover period was more than 3 hours but a few hours ago, the JAI-BOM flight jas been rescheduled and the new layover is only 1hr 55 min hours.

I have never done a transit in India so not aware how this works but I think they will get the boarding passes in Jaipur for both the flights but will have to go through immigration and security in Mumbai. I am worried that 1hr 55min may not be enough.

Could someone please help me out here.

Cheers.
Old 21st December 2018, 01:33   #1053
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Gatwick is majorly affected by people deliberately flying industrial size drones. Lot of flights are cancelled and the military has been brought in.
Old 21st December 2018, 04:08   #1054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopakabana View Post

My mother-in-law and her son are travelling from Jaipur to Manchester via Mumbai (JAI-BOM-MAN) with Jet Airways the JAI-BOM flight jas been rescheduled and the new layover is only 1hr 55 min hours.

I think they will get the boarding passes in Jaipur for both the flights but will have to go through immigration and security in Mumbai. I am worried that 1hr 55min may not be enough.
correct, they will get the boarding pass at Jaipur to Manchester and their luggage checked in to the final destination. Only immigration should happen at Mumbai. As per this Jet circular 75 minutes should be enough, though I don't have done myself, I am sure they should be ok with close to 2 hours layover.

https://www.jetairways.com/documents...Operations.pdf
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 05:49   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
correct, they will get the boarding pass at Jaipur to Manchester and their luggage checked in to the final destination. Only immigration should happen at Mumbai. As per this Jet circular 75 minutes should be enough, though I don't have done myself, I am sure they should be ok with close to 2 hours layover.
Thanks Turbanator.

After much digging, I found this information on Jet Airways website as well but somehow not convinced about the accuracy of these durations.

On the other hand, its too late for me to look for other flight options as they fly this Saturday 22nd Dec. Therefore I am thinking of booking the Transit Assistance by Pranaam GVK. They use a buggy to tranport the passengers and also provide assistance at Immigration and Security checks. Although a bit expensive, they will surely make the transit quicker.

Fingers crossed.
kopakabana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 06:13   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Could someone please help me out here.
Jaipur is an international airport so the immigration will happen there. At Mumbai they just have to go through the transfer gate so only security check (that too should not take much time). Jet personnel will be at the gate where they land to assist with transfer.

At least, that's how it works when I take an international flight via Delhi or Mumbai from Ahmedabad.
Biraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 10:04   #1057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have never done a transit in India so not aware how this works but I think they will get the boarding passes in Jaipur for both the flights but will have to go through immigration and security in Mumbai. I am worried that 1hr 55min may not be enough.

Could someone please help me out here.

Cheers.
1 hour and 55 mins should be more than enough. Your only worry should be a delay in the flight from Jaipur to Mumbai. To be safe you can book the GVK Pranaam to help (as in case its really late they will take the passengers through security and immigration quickly through the priority lines). But to be honest I don't think you should worry too much.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 10:19   #1058
Senior - BHPian

My dad carried 2 car intercoolers neatly packed in a large box as check in luggage from China recently. Wasn't even stopped at immigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Question related to Baggage: I am returning from Germany this weekend via Emirates. As expected of any enthusiast, I have a bunch of tools I am carrying, along with a bike part.
What happened? Were you stopped?
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 10:30   #1059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
My dad carried 2 car intercoolers neatly packed in a large box as check in luggage from China recently. Wasn't even stopped at immigration.
What happened? Were you stopped?
This time my travel fairy blessed me pretty well and from the start of my journey till the end everything went flawless and I came through customs without being asked to stop and show my baggage contents
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 00:25   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

I need to travel from Mumbai to Hanoi (Vietnam) and back. The flight search shows flights with Jet Airways, Bankok Airways, Vietnam Airlines and Thai Airways.

This will be a solo business flight. My concern is flight safety, food quality (Indian vegetarian) and total time (within 10-12 hours). Wow factor is not a criterion. Which of the above airlines would you people recommend?

I am really reluctant to take Jet (safety concern, looking at their financial position) though it offers minimum travel time. How are the other airlines mentioned above? I had travelled earlier with Thai and it was not bad.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 7th January 2019 at 00:27.
Old 8th January 2019, 22:10   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi friends,

I need to travel from Mumbai to Hanoi (Vietnam) and back. The flight search shows flights with Jet Airways, Bankok Airways, Vietnam Airlines and Thai Airways.

I had travelled earlier with Thai and it was not bad.
I would suggest you to go with Thai Airways. I have had a better experience few months back. Leg room is far better when compared to other carriers.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 22:22   #1062
BHPian

Of all the Airports I have been to the quickest checkin and boarding was at the MasaiMara Airport. Our jeep drove right up to the stairs of the plane, and we boarded in a couple minutes. No security, no tickets, no announcements. As soon as we put on the seat belts, the plane took off. Below is a picture of the entire Airport structure, and all its employees. All of 4 sticks and a cloth top

The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread-maraairport.jpg

What was your most efficient/quickest airport experience?

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 8th January 2019 at 22:30.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 23:14   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Due to the long flights to the US, I was planning to have my parents break their journey in London when taking British Airways. They don't have UK visas. Are there any transit hotels in the airport itself? This is so that they won't need to travel outside the airport etc. Any other suggestions?
Old 9th January 2019, 09:12   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Due to the long flights to the US, I was planning to have my parents break their journey in London when taking British Airways. They don't have UK visas. Are there any transit hotels in the airport itself? This is so that they won't need to travel outside the airport etc. Any other suggestions?
Heathrow Terminal4 has a hotel, but it is outside of the secure zone. UK Visa is needed for Indian citizens. I think there are other places within the terminal to rest. For long layovers, I lookup the location of pods or lounges on websites like this.
https://www.sleepinginairports.net/s...ow-airport.htm
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 09:41   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
There are "Plaza Premium" lounges in Heathrow which can be booked online with private room option. I guess they are located at multiple locations within the airport and are quite good compared to the price you pay.

This could a good option for spending a day to relax without going through hassles of UK visa just for a day's stay.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed