Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 22:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

For those who've travelled from the US to India by AF, has anyone had any bad experiences with respect to the transit time between flights?
Here's why I ask:

I'll be landing in terminal 2E, and the next flight out of there is from 2C. Looking at the terminal design, I found that these terminals are right next to each other. The train/concourse should ply between these terminals without any delays, but I've been told otherwise.

Can anyone shed some light on this ? I was told I'd have to rush like a madman to be able to get on the connecting flight, but thats ruled out coz my wife's expecting and she obviously can't be rushed beyond a certain point.
Old 29th May 2009, 22:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Kingfisher Red is nothing but Air Deccan.
The worst part is these flights are 150 seaters converted to 180 seaters to accomodate more passengers. Strategy by Air Deccan.
You better not have lower limbs or be a gymnast to sit on these flights.

Travelled by Jet Airways yesterday and it wasn't anything to write about. SHOULDN't be called 'Full service'.
Btw, Why isn't the Kingfisher Class available on the Chennai-Mumbai sector?
You mean Kingfisher First. Kingfisher Class is what economy is called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
For those who've travelled from the US to India by AF, has anyone had any bad experiences with respect to the transit time between flights?
Here's why I ask:

I'll be landing in terminal 2E, and the next flight out of there is from 2C. Looking at the terminal design, I found that these terminals are right next to each other. The train/concourse should ply between these terminals without any delays, but I've been told otherwise.

Can anyone shed some light on this ? I was told I'd have to rush like a madman to be able to get on the connecting flight, but thats ruled out coz my wife's expecting and she obviously can't be rushed beyond a certain point.
Air France? There have been two reports recently where Indians have complained of racism by AF in CDG. Both times, the flights were delayed and other people were given transit visas while Indians were not and were given just a sandwich and a cup of coffee while people from other countries were put up in hotels.

Also, what is the time duration you have between the two connecting flights? If it is upwards of 2 hours, I dont think you have any reason to worry. Also, I assume you'll be checking in your luggage through to B'lore which means you will have the boarding pass for the CDG-BLR flight in the US itself. In this case, even if you are a couple of minutes late, they will wait for you. In case your inbound flight gets delayed, make sure to inform the stewardess/steward about your outward flight.
Old 29th May 2009, 23:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Here's why I ask:

Do NOT fly Air France. Bad food, horrible cabin staff - and worse, racist treatment. I strongly urge you to reconsider.

Where are you flying to, anyway ? If NY, SF take Jet or SingaporeAir.
Old 1st June 2009, 17:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Also, what is the time duration you have between the two connecting flights? If it is upwards of 2 hours, I dont think you have any reason to worry. Also, I assume you'll be checking in your luggage through to B'lore which means you will have the boarding pass for the CDG-BLR flight in the US itself. In this case, even if you are a couple of minutes late, they will wait for you. In case your inbound flight gets delayed, make sure to inform the stewardess/steward about your outward flight.
I have about 2 hours in b/w flights. 2 hrs 5 mins, to be precise. I'll be checking in my bags from Houston all the way to B'lore,so that shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
Do NOT fly Air France. Bad food, horrible cabin staff - and worse, racist treatment. I strongly urge you to reconsider.

Where are you flying to, anyway ? If NY, SF take Jet or SingaporeAir.
I opted for AF since the price difference b/w AF & Lufthansa was $500 per ticket. That saved me $1000 right there! It was much later that I heard about the racist treatment, and the tight flight schedules without much transit time.

I don't think its possible for me to switch to another airlines now, so I'm going to give this a try ( and definitely hope for the best!!).

Thanks for the inputs, guys. If anyone has more to add, please chip in.
Old 1st June 2009, 17:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Air France? There have been two reports recently where Indians have complained of racism by AF in CDG. Both times, the flights were delayed and other people were given transit visas while Indians were not and were given just a sandwich and a cup of coffee while people from other countries were put up in hotels.
Racism is the hot word on Team-BHP these days, lol.

Those who are allowed access into France were given access into France. Those with EU visas, EU Passports or any of those that are allowed access into France with their Passports (example: US, UK, Australia etc.)

Indians without a Schengen visa are not allowed to leave the airport, even if they have a visa for the USA or others. There were no transit visas given, transit visas are not required for the "others" - they simply stamp their way into France.
Those Indians that had a valid Schengen visa need not wait at the Airport. They are allowed quite freely into France, even if their final destination may be elsewhere.

The people you are talking about did not have a valid Schengen visa and were on their way elsewhere, transitting at CDG.

That said - I am no fan of Air France, their food and service is below par. Quite avoidable.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st June 2009 at 17:42.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2009, 21:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Racism is the hot word on Team-BHP these days, lol.

Those who are allowed access into France were given access into France. Those with EU visas, EU Passports or any of those that are allowed access into France with their Passports (example: US, UK, Australia etc.)

Indians without a Schengen visa are not allowed to leave the airport, even if they have a visa for the USA or others. There were no transit visas given, transit visas are not required for the "others" - they simply stamp their way into France.
Well, I have two personal experiences of missing connecting flights on AF, and AF behavior is usually rude with non-French speaking people esp. non-whites - I have heard lot of bad experiences.

1. 1997 : AF from NY JFK -> CDG -> Delhi
Missed connecting flight due to delayed departure (sitting inside plane w/o AC while they checked some fuse issue). Transit visa was no problem those days, but AF tried to wriggle out of having to provide hotel etc to most Indians (about 15-16) for more than 3-4 hours w/o food or drink. After lot of pestering they finally gave the hotel vouchers (lowest end 2* hotel) and took us for transit visa.
Next day, they put us (inspite of us asking for earlier flight) onto AF to London (since AF flew alternately to delhi and Mumbai those days). As feared, about 10 of us missed the AI flight from London because of delays (they hadn't informed the AI guys about arrival etc). Then they told us stay in London overnight, and take next day's flight. After lot of people literally revolted and pestered, they managed to put us on a BA flight that took off 10 hours later in the night. As for baggage, they told vaguely that a few pieces of baggage will come later, rest all are transferred. After we land at Delhi, there were these 8-10 people standing stupidly till the baggage rack stopped - none of our baggages were transferred and loaded (they could have atleast told us straight). I have left out a lot of the small irritants and difficulties here. So, we just enjoyed a 2.5 day travel from NY -> Delhi.

2. 2004. Munich -> Paris -> Mumbai
Rotten coordination between captain/pilot and ground crew. Captain announced that those having immediate connecting flights, we should contact the ground staff who are waiting to be expedited.On the ground, there was no ground staff :-( After reaching the terminal, some of us who actually approached the 1st AF ground staff there, were told, we just have to hurry and proceed the normal way. After long delays with security (foggy weather had caused delays/bunch-ups), when we reached the gate, the staff told us - sorry, the gate's closed, you can't board even though the aircraft was still berthed. 6 of us missed the flight (tried to follow captain's direction), 2 got onboard (used better sense to ignore it).
Atleast, they gave the hotel etc promptly. Next day, we reached early to prevent any security check delays, but were holed up for 2 hours in the plane (reason: some connecting passengers were just arriving )

Quote:
That said - I am no fan of Air France, their food and service is below par. Quite avoidable.
CDG is just about the worst airport in Europe, no planning, no upkeep, no signs, no power or internet points working. Drive around in buses for half-hour all around the airport before you reach the airplane or the terminal.
AF itself has attitude issues of staff, poor baggage relay record etc etc.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Having read what most of you have mentioned about AF, I'm really concerned about my upcoming trip.If I was by myself, I wouldn't have bothered much. But with my wife (who's 4 months pregnant), and with just 10 days of vacation time ( so really not much time to spare in case of delays), all I can do now is pray & hope everything goes on well and without incident.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indians without a Schengen visa are not allowed to leave the airport, even if they have a visa for the USA or others.
Sam, if Air France wanted, they could have given Transit visas to the Indian passengers and arranged a accommodation at a Hotel as they did for other passengers.
But, they didn't make any attempts to do that, and we all know the reason!

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd April 2010 at 12:04. Reason: correcting spelling 'accommodation'
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Sam, if Air France wanted, they could have given Transit visas to the Indian passengers and arranged a acco at a Hotel as they did for other passengers.
But, they didn't make any attempts to do that, and we all know the reason!
Well, I know what you're saying and I understand and agree 100% - but let's give them the benefit of being French, lol.
And all those who have stayed long enough in France know how rude/unhelpful/i-don't-care/Je ne sais pas pourquoi/Pardon, I speak only Fraynch/Non, non, mais non/pffffttttt/pfffftttt/pffftttt the French can be.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Air France or CDG. Pffttt!
Old 5th June 2009, 21:05   #10
BHPian

Kingfisher Bangalore-London

I just want to check hows is Kingfisher on Bangalore-London route. ANy first hand reviews? I am particularly interested in availability of laptop charging points on each seat.

~maniac
Old 6th June 2009, 20:49   #11
BHPian

guys i need a good travel agent here in bangalore. im never able to get a good price and just end up going around in circles. Please suggest some good places. I need to fly BLR-LAX round trip at the end of next month, coming back middle of august.
Old 6th June 2009, 20:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
guys i need a good travel agent here in bangalore. im never able to get a good price and just end up going around in circles. Please suggest some good places. I need to fly BLR-LAX round trip at the end of next month, coming back middle of august.
In Bangalore I have used this reputed agent and I would recommend them for International travel, especially for good prices.

you can call Manish on 9845227249
Old 7th June 2009, 23:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
In Bangalore I have used this reputed agent and I would recommend them for International travel, especially for good prices.

you can call Manish on 9845227249
thanks man, owe ya one. Ill give him a call. What is the name of the agency?
Old 15th June 2009, 11:50   #14
BHPian

Have to travel this weekend to US by the dreaded DL185. Do anybody have experience on this flight? I did travel by SQ37 last year and it was the most terrible 18 hours of my life!
Old 15th June 2009, 12:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

My wife's Grandpa has to go to Toronto in July and while booking his ticket was informed that he cannot take flights that have a connection in US. Travel agent informed that a person is required to have US visa even if they intend to disembark to take connecting flight.

Is this true?

I have never heard of this kind of regulation in any other country.

Most Viewed