Team-BHP - Bangalore to Ooty and then to K.Gudi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore to Ooty and then to K.Gudi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/64191-bangalore-ooty-then-k-gudi.html)

I have scheduled a trip to Ooty during the third week of September. From my reading of the posts on team BHP, I believe I have the following two options to reach Ooty

1. The most travelled is: Bangalore to Mysore on the Mysore Road, and onward to Ooty via Nanjangud, Gundlupet, Bandipur, Mudumalai, Gudalur and Naduvattam.

2. An interesting deviation is to turn left immediately after passing the Mudumalai bus stop towards Masinagudi and onward to Ooty

I believe the second option would be the ideal route.

As I will be taking my family with me, I am slightly concerned about the right option to choose. If the roads are good, I would be more inclined to take the shorter, more difficult, but more beautiful second option. Any ideas?

On my return trip from Ooty, I have a booking at K.Gudi, a Jungle Lodges Resort for two days. At this point, I am clueless of the route from Ooty to K.Gudi,which is close to B.R. Hills. I presume I have to pass through Chamarajnagar, but frankly, I don't know. Any ideas again?

Roads are good on both the routes. Take the Masinagudi route. I'm sure 90% of the BHPians will suggest the same. Please be informed that this is a very steep but short route.

If you go via Gudalur, you can visit some picnic spots like Pykara dam and some waterfall (i forgot the name).

To reach K Gudi from Ooty, the shortest route would be Ooty-Bandipur-Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-K Gudi.

From K Gudi to Bangalore, you can take K Gudi-BR Temple-Yelandur-Kollegal-Malavalli-Maddur-Bangalore

The road condition between Chamarajanagar & K Gudi is pretty rough. I do not know how the road condition is, between Gundlupet & Chamarajanagar, but don't expect a smooth ride. Ooty - Gundlupet is good except for the last 10 kms from Bandipur to Gundlupet.

1) Mysore -Ooty : take the short route through Masinagudi : Day time before 6pm.
2) For K-gudi as suggested by Addyhemmige. : right at gundulpet while coming from Ooty , this will take you to Chamarajanagar and then onto K-gudi, do not expect good roads .
By the way which vehicle do you intend to go in ?

Hi Sojourner,

Both Masinagudi and Gudalur routes has their pros and cons. Route via Masinagudi is the shortest as addyhemmige and Fortuner71 already confirmed, but its really steep climb hence recommended for seasoned drivers and powerful vehicles (seen indicas finding it difficult to climb).

Route via Gudallur is easy drive kind with lot of scenic spots on the way. You could take this route in onward journey and Masinagudi in return journey to avoid steep climb.

Forgot to tell masinagudi is a nice place for a night stay with some wild experience :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 1453189)

Route via Gudallur is easy drive kind with lot of scenic spots on the way. You could take this route in onward journey and Masinagudi in return journey to avoid steep climb.

Forgot to tell masinagudi is a nice place for a night stay with some wild experience :D.

I guess the police are not allowing any downhill traffic from Ooty on the Masinagudi road, except for a couple of buses (Ooty-Masinagudi) and local vehicles.

Yep, I have experienced the wild side in Masinagudi once:)

Hi Sojourner

I would suggest the following routes:
Good roads all the way till Ooty. Just a bad 8km stretch after Gundlupet. Steep 36 haipin bends after Masinagudi which is fun to climb. You gain altitude pretty fast. Mostly one way traffic all climbing up towards Ooty. Shortest distance to Ooty.Ooty to Gudalur road is awesome. You loose altitude gradually. IMHO more scenic. Longer by 30-35kms I guess. At Nanjangud on your way back from Ooty, take the right before the petrol bunk towards Nanjangud Temple and then towards Chamarajnagar or take the right over BG level crossing before the Nanjangud Bridge towards Chamarajnagar. At Chamarajnagar ask directions towards Nagavalli village. Beyond Nagavalli village leads you to K.Gudi. Roads beyond Nagavalli village is in bad condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 1453214)
I guess the police are not allowing any downhill traffic from Ooty on the Masinagudi road, except for a couple of buses (Ooty-Masinagudi) and local vehicles.

Yep, I have experienced the wild side in Masinagudi once:)

Oh! Its good for uphill vehicles, localites are seasoned drivers and know how to do the curves without harm but mostly we tourists doesnt. I still remember the shocking instance where my Wifey was doing uphil in our Palio and an MH reg OHC came wrongside mercyless in the curve without even a honk, we were almost stuck in the middle of steep curve. Not sure whether he forgot the point in License test " give priority to uphil vehicles ", localites almost sued him for the rash attitude (for bringing trouble to a women driver rl:).

I liked Masinagudy for its serenity. In our ooty trip, stay in Masinagudi was the best part considering the crowded Ooty in peak seasons. Only issue is that we cannot take our vehicles deep into jungles, require some local jeeps with tribal support for best experience :D.

Guys, thanks a lot for those tips. Those inputs are just what I have been looking for. I will plot the landmarks on a road map before I leave. I will be driving a WagonR. She is in excellent condition for the trip and as advised by fellow BHPians I will have her checked completely, a week before the trip. The trip is for about a week and so she will be loaded. I will not call myself a seasoned driver, but I am a pretty decent one and capable of making the uphill climb, if only my car can take it.

I will post pictures and notes of the trip as soon as I am back. Thanks once again.

Hi Sojourner

Try to cover "avalanche" which is the best hideout in Ooty, you may have to seek the permission of authorities before the visit. There are Govt. guest houses available on prior booking. Just google it!!!

Pykara is also a must go.... Spots like botanical garden, lake etc will be very crowded in eve.

If you have a day extra, board a bus to Conoor and take the toy train back to Ooty after seeing some view points there. Its amazing experience.

While going to Dodda betta (Suicide point), try to go early and dont take the vehicle all the way till view point. Road will be filled with vehicles by the time we return, it took more than an hour for me to come out :Frustrati.

Please ensure not to come out of the car in dark in non populated areas and especially in the forest area, lot of unwanted surprises wait for us!!!

Honk without mercy whenever you feel the forward visibility is less in curves!!!

Do carry the necessary Maps in print, we cannot expect someone for directions all the way. It helped me a lot in my trip.

Wish you a safe and jovial journey!!!!