Team-BHP - What is the route to "Ilaveezhapoonchira" in Kerala?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   What is the route to "Ilaveezhapoonchira" in Kerala? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/64240-what-route-ilaveezhapoonchira-kerala.html)

Ilaveezhapoonchira: Google says its a small hill station at 3200 feet above sea level and ideal place for trekking. As it is an unexplored and silent place, would like to include to my next Kerala trip.

Any Bhpians been there? Please share how to reach.

It is nice place near Thodupuzha (Kanjaar) in Kerala. Ideal time to visit is post monsoon months, say September to January.

There is a Government rest house managed by Kottayam District Tourism Promotion Council.

Route - Bangalore - Trichur - Angamaly - Perumbavoor - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Kaanjaar - Ilaveezhapoonjira. Around 22 Km from Thodupuzha which itself is 20 km from muvattupuzha.

I think this is what you are looking for Ilaveezhapoonchira Mattupetty Idukki - Pullumedu tourist place india

Quote:

:: Ilaveezhapoonchira
This is another picnic spot located in the midst of the beautiful hillocks near Kanjar. It is easily accessible from Palai in Kottayam district. Surrounded by three enchanting hillocks - Mankunnu, Kodayathoormal and Thonippara - makes this place ideal for trekking. And it is 55 km from Kottayam, and 20 km from Thodupuzha.
I think its close to Munnar and that can be your base. This is what i heard from a friend sometime back. Let me see if i can get some more details.

EDIT: you can ignore my post now :)

Best you ask over here. I would not like to try pronouncing this place when asking for directions

It will be pronounced as "ila --- veeezha --- poonchira" :D

Thank you everyone for your quick response!!

Heard of a place called "Thommankuthu" near Thodupuzha. Hope both can be done in a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1450924)
It will be pronounced as "ila --- veeezha --- poonchira" :D

OMG, what a complicated name for me? I would never be able to pronounce it correctly. :Frustrati

Sounds to be an interesting place- anyone's been there, any photos?

"Ila-veezhaa-poonchira, means the 'valley where leaves don't fall' and is so named because the place has no trees" (Google)

me too trying for some snaps.

I went there about a week back.

The route I took was from Palai where I am from.

On the Palai Thodupuzha route, After Karimkunnam ask for Muttam route.
From there get to Todupuzha-Moolamattom route.
In this route, you can see a small turn to the right(When coming from Palai side) to Ilaveezhapoonchira. Seven kilometer climb. After that you have to park your car. If you are with a Gypsy or any other 4X4s, you can climb up to the hilltop avoiding the walk which is required for non 4X4ers :)

Its quite near to my Wife house, had been there sometime back. No doubt on the serenity of this place. If you are with family they would find it really difficult to climb, Its better to hire some local Jeeps which could take you there in nominal charge. Carry enough water to top, else u'll have no option but pray to god for rain after the tiring climbrl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 1450942)
Heard of a place called "Thommankuthu" near Thodupuzha. Hope both can be done in a day.

Thommankuthu is not in the same direction, but it can also be clubbed without much travel. Plan to reach Ilaveezhapoonchira in the morn or eve, noons will be really hot if sunny.

Thommankuthu is beautiful but known for dangers, ensure safetly incase you venture into water.

I'm planning to do it on last week of this month (Dusshera holidays)

If you are coming from Muvatupuzha-Thodupuzha, take the Erattupetta road via Muttam. After Muttam, reach a junction called Vazhikkadavu and take left for Melukavu-mattam.
From Melukavu-mattam, it is again a left and the climb starts for Ila-veezha-poon-chira.

The way to identify Vazhikkadu is that it is the tallest spot on Todupuzha-Erattupetta road. You keep climbing from Muttam for Vazhikkadu, and from Vazhikkadu, you decent for Erattupetta.
Keep asking for Ila-veezha-poon-chira.

It is certainly a good place, but I am unsure if the effort is worth. You can rather go to Thekkadi or Vagamon.

If I remember correctly ,Ilaveezhapoonjra can be seen from Thodupuzha town itself.Munnar is nowhere Near.
thommankuthu falls can be reached via Kothamangalam for those coming from north.As someone said above Munnar,Thekkady are Better.Ofcourse ,these are worth for spending some time if you likes Hill Climbing :D