Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 16:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
I would have helped you in sorting out all your troubles with the Tirupati route. But since you live in Electronic City, i would sugest just boom on the GQ route to Chennai. Drive fast and you should be in Chennai in 4 hours easily, and then another 1-2 hours to reach Naidupet. That is about the same time you would take on the Tirupati route too, so why waste your energy on the 2-lane roads.
Avi,
Correct, Since you stay in ECity and also not driven in Tirupati road earlier, the time you will spend to reach Hoskote, you would have crossed Krishnagiri on GQ.
If you start in GQ, better start late night or 3AM.

Ping our chennai expert hrag how to bypass chennai and reach NH5 as early from NH4.
Since I know the Nadupeta route, I would prefer that one but at day time.

Pls dont get that scared because Tirupati route is not that bad at daytime.

Abhi
Old 17th September 2009, 17:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Thanks for the info, but I don't want to enter Chennai. I got another route, that is upto vellore on GQ via Krishnagiri, then turn towards Chittoor, that way I can avoid NH4 and 2 lane drive for long time.
You would have avoided the diversion filled 80-90 kms, but i DO NOT think you would be faster on Vellore-Chittor-Tirupati-naidupet(170kms) route compared to Vellore-Chennai-Naidupet(240 kms) route (assuming you are passing chennai at lean hours). Certainly the energy spent on 2 lane roads may not be worth it, given that your target is Vizag for the day end after an all night drive. Take your call mate.

Last edited by pkumar : 17th September 2009 at 17:20.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:30   #33
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
You would have avoided the diversion filled 80-90 kms, but i DO NOT think you would be faster on Vellore-Chittor-Tirupati-naidupet(170kms) route compared to Vellore-Chennai-Naidupet(240 kms) route (assuming you are passing chennai at lean hours). Certainly the energy spent on 2 lane roads may not be worth it, given that your target is Vizag for the day end after an all night drive. Take your call mate.
Vellore-chitoor-tirupati-naidupet is faster route and the road is good.
From bangalore to vizag via chittor can be done in 14 hours drive.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Vellore-chitoor-tirupati-naidupet is faster route and the road is good.
From bangalore to vizag via chittor can be done in 14 hours drive.
Thank Sha, I also some pictures of the SH from Vellore to Chittoor, the road looks good. I think I can manage that in midnight. Don't think there are many twist in GQ other than some bad patch in Orissa, as I will be heading to Asansol, so it I reach Kharagpur before sunset on Sunday, will take NH 60, else will go till Howrah and take NH 2.
Old 17th September 2009, 19:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Till Visakapatnam you would not find problem in driving as you have plenty of places to stop over and it is agood idea to stor over in Visakapatnam. If you can start early in the morning it will be better as the road till Itchapuram is good and that is A.P. border. I heard from the last treads that Itchapuram bypass is open on one side so you can save some time. From there to Balugaon the road is moderate. From Badrak to Balasore is bad. Last time when I was travelling on these roads was really frustrated after Badrak and we went into Balasore accidently and I came to know of Chandipur beach and we were early in the morning around 6.30am as I started from Cuttack by 3am.The beach amazing a low tide beach I had never seen. So another stop over after Visakapatnam would be better before you reach Kolcutta.
Old 19th September 2009, 01:20   #36
BHPian

Great discussion we have going on here. I almost can see the road and anticipate the journey.

I'd request rajat and others who take this journey in recent future to post their experience in detail.

The only thing that keep worrying me is the Maoist problem in Orissa. I'l be travelling with wife and wouldn't want to get any surprises midway through.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:18   #37
BHPian

Finished my trip last night.... 2062 km in 32 hrs, almost as planned. The bad news was in hurry I left my digicam at home. Here is a small detail of the trip -

Started at 10:30 from E-city, took NH7 towards Krishnagiri.
12:15 at Krishnagiri, took NH46 to Vellore. Reached Vellore at 2:15... to the road towards Chittoor,this is a single road but in great shape.I remembered guys reminding there are 2 rly crossing then have to take right, did the same, went through Tirupati hit NH5 at 4:10am.took a break at Nayadupeta for tea.then the real cruise started... reached Vijayawada at 9:40am, I was lucky to find one of my friend's car nearby, he was going to Vizag. took lunch break at Vijayawada and started again at 12:30pm
the road was great. And now without stopping I marched towards Vizag. reached Vizag at 6pm. I was staying in a friend's place so was not in hurry to find a hotel. we rested for the night and started at 3:30am yesterday.I initially planned to stop at Berhampur, but continued and reached Cuttack at 11:30pm, took a brk for 2 hr and had lunch. started from Cuttack, to reach Kharagpur, our next stoppage.
It took 5:30 hr from Cuttack. Arround 7 pm I reached Kharagpur.The section from Berhampur to Baleswar was the worst section. We had light dinner and started off, and I decided to take NH60, the so called naxalite zone, and nothing happened I cruised along the road and reached Chittaranjan, my home town near Asansol at 3am. And went to bed.. every Driver has his day . woke up and updated..
Old 21st September 2009, 16:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hey asdon,
Congrats !! This small writeup would not do. Give us a travelogue !!

Abhi
Old 21st September 2009, 20:38   #39
BHPian

Yes. We demand a detailed write-up. So, as the myth goes it can be done in 2 days. Surely will try that, but I guess starting at 3:00 AM on two consecutive days will be difficult.

Asdan, you didn;t have to cross Kolaghat towards kolkata, else would've asked you if the Kolaghat bridge has been completed yet or not.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:57   #40
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Driver has his day . woke up and updated..
Very good, now the question is like how is the road near the AP/Orissa border - and how was the average speed in between the Vizag-Berhampur stretch.

BTW, have good memories of Chittaranjan [cousin sister's house, used to go twice a year, long time back]. Used to put in the details at the check post while entering; and definitely also to the top of the hill overlooking the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
if the Kolaghat bridge has been completed yet or not.
Its all done quite some time back - may be around 6-7 months[?] now, thus no traffic bottleneck out there now.

Last edited by adc : 22nd September 2009 at 13:01.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Its all done quite some time back - may be around 6-7 months[?] now, thus no traffic bottleneck out there now.
Very good. Never caught the update. Remember lots of Travelogues describing the traffic jams and the unavoidable delay in entering Kolkata.

Last edited by KishoreC : 22nd September 2009 at 14:41.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
The only thing that keep worrying me is the Maoist problem in Orissa. I'l be travelling with wife and wouldn't want to get any surprises midway through.
Just remember one thing. Do not travel between Ichchapuram and Bhubaneswar between 8pm and 6am in the morning. That is what the truckers on the Danton borderpost told me this time. They say that there have been multiple cases where the highway dacoits stopped the truck forcibly and not only looted the truckers but also killed them mercilessly. So they avoid that stretch at night.

Quote:
Very good, now the question is like how is the road near the AP/Orissa border - and how was the average speed in between the Vizag-Berhampur stretch.
Absolutely horrendous dada, absolutely horrendous. Take my word for it. I travelled in Aug when it was raining. And I believe it was worse than hell. The craters are so huge that one can commit suicide by just jumping into one of them.
Quote:
Ummm... not sure if there is some bypass for this bridge that I missed but the kolaghat bridge was just as narrow and khatara as one can be. Although I never got stuck in any jam, but the bridge was just about passable. And I also saw a new bridge coming up just next to it. But then that one is still not open as yet. :-/
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Hey asdon,
Congrats !! This small writeup would not do. Give us a travelogue !!

Abhi
Surely will write in detail, but for now I wanted to inform you guys, and I am in my hometown in Durga puja after 4 years. So will write in details in few days time.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:39   #44

I told you of my planned trip : Kolkata to Bangalore and return. Well, started on 24th early morning only to get stuck at Kolaghat Bridge - 6 hrs due to breakdown of a trailor on the bridge and 30kms jam on both sides. Cruising on NH60 44 kms short of Balasore faced a car hijack situation (1:30pm) It was foiled but in frustration one miscreant in a Bolero reversed on to my front - collision at combined speed of 40kph that took off my bumpers - screwed up the AC condensor, motors etc and chewed up the Radiotor and the headlights. NHAI emergency responded within 15 minutes and got towed to Balasore for repairs ( parts came from Bhubaneshwar). Drove back 260kms in 5 hrs.
All you folks; just drive carefully and be safe. Family and self had the most nerve shattering experience. Is it a good idea to carry a hand gun?
Old 30th September 2009, 16:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hudson, That was the most unfortunate start one can ever have. I can understand of the jam but tell us what was this Bolero thing?

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks