Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 09:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

Expect disruption on NH5 between Chennai and Bhubaneswar, as the Cyclone Laila is already wrecking the coastal towns - heavy rains, blocked roads, flooded towns.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:25   #62
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries

Hi friends,

I am planning to drive down from Kolkata to Bangalore (in my 2001 zen) in the month of Feb (leaving kol on the 25th of Feb) with my wife. Since Im travelling with my wife, I'm thinking of splitting the drive into 3 parts, I will be avoiding driving at night.

I am thinking of breaking the journey into 3 parts as follows

Day1: CCU to Berhampore
Day2: Berhampore to Rajahmundhry
Day3: Rajahmundhry to Blr

I need to be in Blore by the 27th anyhow!

I would request to share your valuable inputs on
1. Road Conditions
2. Hotels en route
3. Any suggestion on the breakup of the journey.

I would request your inputs ASAP as I need to plan this well in advance as I will be super engaged with work from the 2nd week of Jan to Feb.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Cheers
Shrey
Old 1st January 2011, 20:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Roads are not yet widened in the Baleshwar-Bhadrak sector and Bhalugaon-Ichchapuram sector. In the latter sector, road condition is not good, but doable for any car.

Rest of the route is fantastic 4-laned superfast road.

If you leave early morning, keep good pace, you can do the drive in 2 days too by stopping on D1 at Vizag and reaching Bangalore on D2.

If you want to stick to the 3-day plan, then there are more hotels in Gopalpur-on-Sea (10 kms detour from Behrampore). There are hotels at Balasore (Hotel Staff, on NH5), Bhadrak (Dixit Resort, on NH5), Bhubaneswar )near Railway Station, 1 km off NH5), Bhalugaon (OTDC, 1 km inside, on the banks of the Chilka Lake).

Rajahmundry has no hotels on NH5, but there are plenty inside the town, especially around the railway station. There is also APTDC. I think you can even make it to Vijaywada comfortably on Day 2, and although there are no hotels on the bypass, there are several just off the NH5.

Be wary of traffic jams at the WB-OR and OR-AP borders.

In case you think you can do Calcutta-Vizag the same day, you can stay at APTDC's excellent hotels at Vizag beach or at Rushikonda Beach (5 kms from Vizag).
Old 1st January 2011, 20:50   #64
BHPian

Hi Hvk!

thankyou sir! I would love to do the stretch in 2 days! Im planning to leave Kolkata at around 4am! Stopping in Vizag sounds good. I have a very close friend who has his home in Rajahmundhry!

Thankyou for your prompt response.

Regards,
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Roads are not yet widened in the Baleshwar-Bhadrak sector and Bhalugaon-Ichchapuram sector. In the latter sector, road condition is not good, but doable for any car.

Rest of the route is fantastic 4-laned superfast road.

If you leave early morning, keep good pace, you can do the drive in 2 days too by stopping on D1 at Vizag and reaching Bangalore on D2.

If you want to stick to the 3-day plan, then there are more hotels in Gopalpur-on-Sea (10 kms detour from Behrampore). There are hotels at Balasore (Hotel Staff, on NH5), Bhadrak (Dixit Resort, on NH5), Bhubaneswar )near Railway Station, 1 km off NH5), Bhalugaon (OTDC, 1 km inside, on the banks of the Chilka Lake).

Rajahmundry has no hotels on NH5, but there are plenty inside the town, especially around the railway station. There is also APTDC. I think you can even make it to Vijaywada comfortably on Day 2, and although there are no hotels on the bypass, there are several just off the NH5.

Be wary of traffic jams at the WB-OR and OR-AP borders.

In case you think you can do Calcutta-Vizag the same day, you can stay at APTDC's excellent hotels at Vizag beach or at Rushikonda Beach (5 kms from Vizag).
Old 11th September 2012, 00:37   #65
BANNED

Bangalore to Kolkata road trip

Hi

I am planning a roadtrip from Bangalore to Kolkata. Can I get an update on the conditions of the road and is night driving safe.

Also give me your suggetions on the route if you have any.

regards
Anjan
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Any update on this route? I am thinking of doing this in the next 1-2 days. Will have to complete in 2 days. Night driving safe?
Old 26th December 2012, 12:06   #67
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Any update on this route? I am thinking of doing this in the next 1-2 days. Will have to complete in 2 days. Night driving safe?

Travelled in this route on 24th and 25th December 2012

Vizag to Vijayawada -- road is fine. no diversions. Safe at night also.

Vijayawada - Naidupet --- to many diversions between vijayawada- guntur due to 6 lane work. There are some diversion on other places also. But road surface is good even on diversions. Otherwise OK

There is a good restaurant at Nellore bypass from vijayawada side -- RK restaurant just beside the HP petrol pump. Good quality andhra meals

Naidupet-Tirupati road is being relaid. 90% ok

Tirupati-Karnataka border - is good.

Chittoor bypass is relaid and good. no pot holes

Road surface little uneven between KA border to Mulbagal 4 lane road entry

Toll colletion not started in Mulbagal-KR Puram stretch as on 24th december, 2012

Number of eating options are increasing in this stretch compared to last year
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 16:54   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Naidupet-Tirupati road is being relaid. 90% ok
This is good news!

Quote:
Chittoor bypass is relaid and good. no pot holes
So gone is the rough patch ? That would do wonders to bypass Chitoor.

Quote:
Road surface little uneven between KA border to Mulbagal
The bypass at Mulbagal had lots of potholes. I was told, this was very recently patched up.

Quote:
Number of eating options are increasing in this stretch compared to last year
You bet ! I was amazed at the number of CCD on this route! Its even higher than Chennai GQ via Krishnagiri. Also not to mention many many pure-veg hotels enroute.

Chitoor bypass has a CCD and Nandi plaza.
Old 26th December 2012, 17:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

This year in April first week, I traveled on this route from Bangalore - Balasore - Jamshedpur and onward. I found that road is very good with some work on progress mostly post Vizag. Near Guntur town it was mess occasionally till Bhubneshwar. I hope most of those work have been completed by now.

Overall, I enjoyed driving on this highway, but this road is not as fast as Bangalore - Nagpure or Bangalore - Pune highway.
Old 13th August 2013, 13:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

What are the latest updates on the Bangalore->Kolkata stretch ? Planning to do a road trip in the Durga Pujas.

I heard that 6 laning work was ongoing on the GQ stretch , how much is that complete ?
Old 15th August 2013, 12:55   #71
BHPian

Route update --

Did a Bangalore-Kolkata-Bangalore in my Figo D last week.
Route taken was Bangalore - Nellore - Rajamundry - Vijayawada - Guntur - Vizag - Bhubaneswar - Khararpur - Kolkata.

Beyond Nellore, the GQ is in excellent condition. The NH60 stretch between Cuttack and Kharagpur is not in the best conditions. Need to be a bit careful for the bridge approaches as the surface is broken. This is coupled with many diversions. Rest is good till Kolkata.

Day 1 : Left Bangalore at 4am and reached Vizag by 9:30pm. Enroute, got detained for around 1.5hrs at Tanuku and Rajamundry due to the Telengana agitations. They had blocked the highway and had to take detours through the towns.

Day 2 : Left Vizag at 6:30am and reached Kolkata at 8:30pm. The AP-OR border crossing was slow but smooth. There was a hugh jam at the Jaleswar OR-WB border, so, took another detour through Jaleswar town.

Total driving time (including bio breaks, fuel stops and food breaks) was 32hrs. The Figo performed flawlessly.

The return journey was at a much relax pace. Took a day's break at Vizag in between.
Saurabh M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 01:15   #72

I plan to do a Blr-Kol trip in mid April. Any updates on the road conditions and hazards?

I did this route in 2010. Wasted a lot of time in Orissa. I have read that it has improved since then. Has anyone done this stretch recently?
Old 7th September 2017, 22:14   #73
BANNED

I am will be doing a Bangalore to Kolkata on 13 Sep 2017. Can someone tell me which route has better roads

Option 1 - Bangalore - Tirupati - Nellore - Vijaywada - Vizag - Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata
Option 2 - Bangalore - Hyderabad- Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata

Can anyone suggest some stay options in Hyderabad, Vizag, Srikakulam, Bhubaneshwar & Cuttack?

Please advise
Old 7th September 2017, 22:16   #74
BANNED

I am will be doing a Bangalore to Kolkata on 13 Sep 2017. Can someone tell me which route has better roads

Option 1 - Bangalore - Tirupati - Nellore - Vijaywada - Vizag - Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata
Option 2 - Bangalore - Hyderabad- Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata

Can anyone suggest some stay options in Hyderabad, Vizag, Srikakulam, Bhubaneshwar & Cuttack?

Please advise
Old 21st January 2018, 18:32   #75
BHPian

Reviving an old thread. I am planing a Bangalore-Bhutan family road trip in end March. I plan to take breaks at Tirupati (day 1), Srikakulam (Day 2), Kharagpur or Kolkatta (day 3)and Siliguri (day 4).

Request all to pl share details on the Bangalore to Kolkata route? How is the road condition? Is the above plan doable? Any stretch that I need to be careful? Please help me with the details to help me plan the trip.

Thanks

Most Viewed