Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 14:35   #106
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries

Hi Guys!

So the upcoming Christmas vacation happens to be an extra long one and we have leaves from 21st December to 5th January. In total about 16days to spoil us.

Hence, this year, unlike other year, we have decided to pull up the real long one! Bangalore to Kolakta road trip in our brand new Nexon.

We are a family of four (me & wifey and 2 kids, aged 6 & 3years). In our return leg, my mom would be joining us from Kolkata.

Below is a rough plan I have jotted down and would expect some expert advice on plan feasibility, eateries, rest points etc.
  • Day 1 (20th Dec): Start from our home in Whitefield, Bangalore at 3pm & drive towards Vizag, via Tirupati. Route Planned: Kolar - Chittoor - Tirupati - Kalahasti - Naidupeta - Gudur - Nellore - Kavali - Ongole - Guntur - Vijayawada - Eluru - Rajahmundry
  • Day 2 (21st Dec): Arrive in Vizag by afternoon & check-in to a hotel. Plan to visit the INS Kurusura Submarine Museum in the evening.

Approx Distance covered in Day 1 & 2: 1003kms
  • Day 3 (22nd Dec): Start off from Vizag, post breakfast, by around 7am so as to reach Chilika Lake (Chilika Dhaba / one of the OTDC properties along NH16) for lunch & a long break. Post lunch drive down to Bhubaneswar for a night halt.

Approx Distance for Day 3: Vizag to Chilika Lake: 360kms, Chilika Lake to Bhubaneswar: 100kms; Total: 460kms
  • Day 4 (23rd Dec): Home Run. Start post breakfast from Bhubaneshwar & reach Kolkata by afternoon (preferably around lunch).

Approx Distance for Day 4: 450kms

Post that, I would mostly be in Kolkata and visitng place around (Asansol, Durgapur etc.)

The return leg is planned to start on 2nd January, with plans of covering Jagannath Puri & Araku Valley / Borra Caves, if possible.
  • Day 1 (2nd Jan): Drive from our home in Kolkata to Puri. Visiting Jgannath Temple both in the evening & next day morning. Approx Distance: 500kms
  • Day 2 (3rd Jan): Start from Puri, after darshan, max by 8am with the objective of reaching Vizag for night halt. Approx Distance: 450kms
  • Day 3 (4th Jan): Visit Araku Valley & Bora Caves and then back in Vizag for night halt.
  • Day 4 (5th Jan): Early morning start (target: 4am) with aim of reaching Bangalore by night. Approx Distance: 1005kms

So here are my questions:
  • Q1: Since I would be starting from Bangalore in the afternoon and with the objective of reaching Vishakapatnam by next day afternoon, this would involve night drive. Since I'm travelling with family, would want to know if there are enough eateries or cafes with clean toilets and somewhere i can halt for a while if required (viz. Apna Ghar by HP, Reliance One, CCD etc.)
  • Q2: How is the overall road condition? In particular, is the road widening work around Chittor over or still WIP?
  • Q3: Any thing else (maoist activities etc.), I should be worried about since this involves quite a good amount of night drive as well.
  • Q4: I plan to do this on our brand new Tata Nexon XZA+ Diesel car (about 4k kms). Any thing in particular i should be worried about w.r.t. the car?

Looking forward to your response!

Regards
Saurav

Last edited by Thumping Soul : 28th November 2019 at 14:41. Reason: tried numbering the text to improve readability.
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:36   #107
BHPian

15th of November, completed a trip from Hyderabad to Kolkata. I had another driver with me on the insistence of my parents.
I had come to Hyderabad in August 2016 with my trusted steed, a Hyundai i10. I still distinctly remember that the roads were awesome at that time and I was able to maintain constant speeds all through out.
Fast forward to 2019.....god help me....extensive flyover works are going on all through out Telengana and Andhra Pradesh. Traffic is single lane for the most part of it which increases the travel time considerably. To add to it, it also becomes tiresome to a certain extent. From Orissa onwards again it is a joy to drive but the road conditions have deteriorated w.r.t. 2016 conditions.
One more thing I noticed was that till Andra Pradesh you will hardly get any roadside shops open after dusk. Thus one needs to plan their meals and stops accordingly till Andhra Pradesh. Once in Orissa this problem does not persist anymore all the way till Kolkata.
I started from a place called Khammam at 6:30 am on 15th and stopped at Bhubaneshwar at 12 midnight. I could stretch it this much as I alternated driving between me and the driver accompanying me.
Crashed for the night in a hotel at Bhubaneshwar. Next day started leisurely at 8am as there was not much to ground to cover for the day. I finally reached Kolkata at my home at 3:30 pm in the afternoon.
It was an experience which I thoroughly enjoyed despite the road conditions.
And last but not the least, my steed, Hyundai i10 is a gem.....9 years and still going strong. Not for once did it give me any trouble during the journey
drritwik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 17:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Hi Guys!

So the upcoming Christmas vacation happens to be an extra long one and we have leaves from 21st December to 5th January. In total about 16days to spoil us.
I did an epic 7000KM Pune - Bangalore - Kolkata drive few months back during Puja. Here was my itinerary:

26 September 9PM : Start from Pune. Need to take detour as Mumbai BLR route was closed due to floods.
27 September 10AM : Reached Bangalore

--Stayed for a week in Bangalore

5th October 1:30PM: Start from Bangalore (Not the best time, but this was totally unplanned )
6th October 8:30PM: First halt at BBSR.
7th October Morning: Leave for Kolkata after breakfast.
7th October 4:15PM : Reach Kolkata

--Stay in Kolkata for 3 nights

10th October 8:30AM : Leave for Bangalore
10th October 9:00PM : Dinner at Vizag
--Slept for a couple of hours in petrol pump inside car at 3AM
11th October 11:40AM : Lunch at Nellore
11th October 7:00PM : Reached Bangalore

--Stayed for a night
12th Morning : Start from Bangalore
12th Night : Reach Pune

I traveled alone in my Ecosport so didn't need to do multiple halts which is required while with family.

Last edited by Samfromindia : 5th December 2019 at 18:07.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:30   #109
BHPian

How were the Vijayawada rajamundhry and tirupati Bangalore stretches? Any improvement in the second one?
Old 6th December 2019, 17:33   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Have provided answers to your query on the HVK Forum. I may be leaving too on the 21st Dec for JSR, from Whitefield.

Have a safe drive!

Note from Support: Please post your responses here so other forum users may also benefit from your advice. Thanks!
Mods - Agree, I should have mentioned my comments here as well.

I just advised against the Day 1 plan since it seemed to be an over-ambitious one (leaving Bangalore in the afternoon and reaching Vizag next afternoon). Hence, I had suggested to alter the plan and leave early morning instead. I do at least 2 road trips (BLR-JSR) every year and hence, speaking with experience.

No issues in terms of safety. Roads are pretty much safe throughout.

Cheers!
verma_rahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 19:27   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just advised against the Day 1 plan since it seemed to be an over-ambitious one (leaving Bangalore in the afternoon and reaching Vizag next afternoon). Hence, I had suggested to alter the plan and leave early morning instead. I do at least 2 road trips (BLR-JSR) every year and hence, speaking with experience.

Cheers!
+1. I've done Bangalore-Vizag a couple times in the recent past. We usually start early morning from Bangalore and stop at Vijayawada end of day 1. Day 2, an early start would land one in Vizag by lunch time.

The stretch 50-odd kms either side of Tirupati is a huge time hog, butter smooth wide roads after Naidupet on the AP/TS side. Progress is relatively slower on the Vijayawada-Vizag stretch as one gets closer to Vizag, with all the roadworks diversions.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th December 2019 at 19:30.
Old 12th December 2019, 11:28   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Mods - Agree, I should have mentioned my comments here as well.

Cheers!
Suggestion noted and the travel plan has been updated now.

Day 1 looks like below:
1. Start from our home in Whitefield at 4am sharp
2. Take the Old Madras Road towards Tirupati, further up through Renigunta & Kalahasti to reach Naidupeta by 9-9.30am for breakfast
3. Target for lunch in or after Vijaywada by 3pm
4. Target to reach Vishakhapatnam by 9pm for dinner and then check-in at our hotel.

Total of 1005kms approx.

We have done Bangalore - Nagpur (1100kms) multiple times in the past, since my in-laws are based there. I believe should be able to make it.
Old 12th December 2019, 12:50   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestion noted and the travel plan has been updated now.
We have done Bangalore - Nagpur (1100kms) multiple times in the past, since my in-laws are based there. I believe should be able to make it.
Oh yes, this is perfect. In fact, I'll be leaving for JSR too on Dec 21st, and from Whitefield itself. Will be stopping for the night at Vizag. We may bump into each other, if you are planning to leave on 21st too

And yes, I do BLR-Nagpur as well in one shot (my better half is from Lucknow so we do road trips to Lucknow), but I feel BLR-Nagpur is a little easier, takes lesser time. BLR-Vizag takes longer time, considering the traffic on the highway as well as while crossing Vijaywada city.

Rahul
verma_rahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 10:01   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, this is perfect. In fact, I'll be leaving for JSR too on Dec 21st, and from Whitefield itself. Will be stopping for the night at Vizag. We may bump into each other, if you are planning to leave on 21st too

And yes, I do BLR-Nagpur as well in one shot (my better half is from Lucknow so we do road trips to Lucknow), but I feel BLR-Nagpur is a little easier, takes lesser time. BLR-Vizag takes longer time, considering the traffic on the highway as well as while crossing Vijaywada city.

Rahul
That's a great news indeed. We should definitely team up! It would be great to have your company for the bigger part of the journey.

Have sent you a DM. Please check!
Old 19th December 2019, 23:19   #115
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Have gotten myself a trip planned from BLR to CCU, via Tirupati-Naidupeta-Vijaywada-Vizag-Bhubanshwar-Kharagpur. Any one who has frequented this route in the recent past and have got any valuable tip?

Since I am a single driver for the trip, have planned halts in Guntur and Berhampore so that the drive is relaxed and is enjoyed. Any suggestion from the travelers would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
Old 26th December 2019, 12:57   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogold View Post
Hi Friends,

Have gotten myself a trip planned from BLR to CCU, via Tirupati-Naidupeta-Vijaywada-Vizag-Bhubanshwar-Kharagpur. Any one who has frequented this route in the recent past and have got any valuable tip?

Since I am a single driver for the trip, have planned halts in Guntur and Berhampore so that the drive is relaxed and is enjoyed. Any suggestion from the travelers would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Hey Buddy!

I just did this very route over the last weekend. This was a long planned family holiday and hence we did a few touristy things on the way.

Below is what i what we did:
1. Day 1 (21st Dec): Bangalore to Vizag, approx 1050kms
With an early morning start from our home at 4.30am ensured we were up & running before the usual highway traffic takes over. Our first halt for the day was at Southern Spice restaurnt located on the Tirupati Bypass Rd at 8am. Major portions of the road until the Tirupati bypass is excellent. Only a small portion is still unders construction. But definitely doable under 4hrs. By 8.30am we started off and were able to hit NH16 at Naidupeta by 10am.
Once you hit NH16, the roads improve by a huge margin. But certain sections, typically before & after major towns (viz. Rajahmundry, Vijayawada, Vizag, BBSR) had countless diversions due to ongoing flyover construction activities.
Our next stop was more of a bio-break at N5 toll plaza around noon and we reached Vijayawada by 2.45pm. NH16 passes through the Vijaywada city and there's no other alternative. But this ensured we had pretty good options to choose from for our lunch. At 3pm we stopped at Paradise restaurant at Benz Circle. Its bang on the highway and you don't waste any time ordering / waiting for food. As usual service is pretty fast and food quality is good. We were able to wind up and finish a power nap by 4pm.
Vizag was still about 350kms away. Our next break was after crossing Rajahmundry. This is a tricky situation. Gmaps by default would make you leave NH16 and go through the city to remerge on NH16. Don't make this mistake! Just stick on to Nh16 and you would save a good amount of time.
We finally reached our hotel in Vizag at about 11pm and immediately hit bed after some yummy biriyani.

2. Day 2 (22nd Dec): Vizag sight seeing and then to Bhubaneswar
We were up by 7am and immediately went off to the beach. Kids had a gala time there. And after finishing our breakfast at hotel at 10, we went to the INS Kurusa Submarine Museum. This was the highlight of the trip for my son. Its a short 30min session at the submarine musuem, but worth it. Then we were at a few other usual spots in Vizag (Dolphin's Nose, Lighthouse etc) and were able to start off for Vizag at about 1pm.
This is where the problem starts. Just too many diversions on an otherwise inviting highway. Kind of ruins the fun you had so far. Exercise caution!
Another thing to note, there aren't too many food options on this stretch until you reach Chilika. So better if you pack up something from Vizag and have it on the way.
By about 7pm we made it to Chilika Dhaba. Its just off the higway, about 100kms before Bhubaneswar. Chilika Dhaba is a must do in case you are a non-vegetarian and seafood lover!
We started off from Chilika Dhaba around 8pm and reached our hotel in Bhubaneswar by about 10pm.

3. Day 3 (23rd Dec): Home run. BBSR to Kolkata
We had a leisurley start from Bhubaneswar at 7.30am. Stopped for regular breaks on the way. Breakfast was immediately after Cuttack and lunch at Sher-e-Punjab Dhaba at Kolaghat. From there it was 1.5hrs drive to home and we reached home by 5pm.

Will share some pics in another post!

Regards
Saurav
Thumping Soul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 21:45   #117
BHPian

Here are some pics from the trip.
Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0620.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0748.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0764.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0770.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0776.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0787.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0792.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0795.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0808.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0078.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0087.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0154.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0192.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0243.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0287.jpg

Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries-dsc_0291.jpg
Thumping Soul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 19:54   #118
BHPian

Hi All !

Hope all and your loved ones are fine and coping with the Lock-down in the best possible manner.

I have 2 Queries based on the below Scenario
Scenario: I have resigned and the same night 21 days lock down was announced and would be relocating from Bangalore to Kolkata - Last working Day 21st May, Date of Joining 8th June.

Query 1 - So I am in a fix regarding the NOCs for my 2 two-wheeler and the Car. Any thoughts/ Suggestions please? Can I expect extension by Kolkata RTO due to delay in submitting the forms in Bangalore (16th April seems to be the earliest I can)
  • The 2 wheelers I will leave at friend's place and Transport after I get the NOCs
  • The Car, I will drive and hope to get the NOC Couriered within end of June

Query 2 - I plan to drive my Car from Bangalore to Kolkata (so 1 month NOC issue solved). And below is the route I am planning
  1. Day 1 - Start 12 AM - midnight - Balgalore to Rajahmundry (Night Stay Coconut Country Resort)
  2. Day 2 - Start 7 AM - Rajahmundry to Bhubaneshwar - (Night Stay Panthaniwas) -
  3. Day 3 - Start 7 AM - BHubaneshwar to Kolkata
With a KWID (top speed 100 KMPH) would that be OK, or are there any better suggestions? I can increase the night halts from 2 to 3 if absolutely required.

I will be travelling with my wife and a few bags as rest of the stuff will be sent by the Packers.

Sincere Regards,
Saurab C
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:33   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
I will be travelling with my wife and a few bags as rest of the stuff will be sent by the Packers.
Hey Saurab

What's your status? I'm planning to drive down to Kolkata this weekend.

Please share any updates if you already did the journey.

Regards
Saurav

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd June 2020 at 13:12. Reason: For easy reading, please do not quote the whole post. Thank you!
Old 15th June 2020, 23:43   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Saurab

What's your status? I'm planning to drive down to Kolkata this weekend.

Please share any updates if you already did the journey.

Regards
Saurav
Apologies! Got engrossed in understanding how the city functions.
YES, we reached Kolkata from Bangalore by road, own car, SAFELY. Below is the experience and points

Started on 23rd Morning 7 AM, reached Guntur by 4 PM and stayed the night there. Chose Guntur as a fellow traveler had recommended a place which was clean and hosting people for the nights. Excellent accommodation and home cooked dinner.

Next day was a slight stretch as we had found a good soul through Airbnb at Bhubaneshwar who allowed us for a night on a personal basis and had taken police permission for the same. We paid cash as bookinng was not allowed.

On 25th we entered Kolkatta and reached Dunlop by 3 PM.

ROADS: Good roads till Guntur. After that the numerous diversions are a little pain but doable with good average speeds. Do not, whatever google says, leave the highway. The state roads are bad. Did an average of 67KMPH without crossing the speed of 110 at any time (Kwid, no ABS, zero safety )
Traffic - Many trucks and decent number of cars and jeeps. Did nnot feel like Lockdown at all, rather similar to early start (1 AM from Bangaore) vacation drives.

FOOD: we stopped only for fuel and checkposts. We carries dry fruits, Juice and Red Bull in the car. Dinner was proper food at the accommodations.

POLICE: We were stopped at AP border, Odisha border and WB borders only. Fair and respectable experience. No hassels.

We had WB entry pass and based on the same, Whitefield police gave us a 5 days travel pass.

WB Experience: Local residents have issues allowing people from other states to stay in the building/ locality. Even folks with own purchased residents. We had a little help from relatives and very helpful ward Councillor.
We did a strict home quarantine for 14 days and all is well. Again, all essentials were a phone call away, thanks to the Ward Councilor.

RTO: Just got RTO confirmation on phone today that we can pay Road Tax for a year and drive KA Registered vehicle. Shall get the confirmed details and share (here?)

Once more, apologies for the delay. Apart from Road and on-drive accommodation, WB/ Kolkata situation is the same still.

Regards,
Saurab C
Exhaust_Note is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks