Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 02:37   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Apologies! Got engrossed in understanding how the city functions.
YES, we reached Kolkata from Bangalore by road, own car, SAFELY. Below is the experience and points
Thanks Saurab for posting this. I am planning to bring back my car from Bangalore. I came to Kolkata before Holi with my 1yr kid and wife and after that stayed back here. Plan was for 10 days. Now I am planning to leave my house(rented) in Bangalore and come to Kolkata to stay for 7/8 months till things are normal(as if we know when). So after going through your post, i feel I might be able to do this trip. Guide me what all permissions that i need to take for this trip.

Team- Fly back to Bangalore from Kolkata.
The route that i have in mind is Bangalore-Samshabad-Vizag-Puri-Kolkata. I would be travelling in my Polo and would be the single driver. I plan to stay the night and only drive in the day. Only thing is Samshabad to Vizag stretch is of more distance than the other. Any suggestions to make the travel distance more even on the Bangalore Samshabad stretch by reaching little further?

Also please suggest precautions to be taken and if this route is something that I should stick to.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2020 at 02:36. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 17th July 2020, 18:14   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by baridbej View Post
Thanks Saurab for posting this. I am planning to bring back my car from Bangalore. I came to Kolkata before Holi with my 1yr kid and wife and after that stayed back here. Plan was for 10 days. Now I am planning to leave my house(rented) in Bangalore and come to Kolkata to stay for 7/8 months till things are normal(as if we know when). So after going through your post, i feel I might be able to do this trip. Guide me what all permissions that i need to take for this trip.
Hi Baridbej,

Which date are you travelling? Me elder brother (he is not yet a team bhp member) is planning to travel on 24th July along with his family from Bangalore to Ranchi taking the same route as you have mentioned.

Please suggest if the trip can be done together so that there is company for both.
By the way, I have done Mumbai To Ranchi (via Hyderabad, Vizag, Bhubaneshwar) two days back and will share the update shortly in another forum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2020 at 02:37. Reason: trimmed quoted post
getvishal1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 01:59   #123
BANNED

Hi getvishal1

I would have loved to but since i am kolkata right now so would not be able to make it. I plan to come back to Bangalore and then make this trip, most probably in mid of august.
Old 21st July 2020, 20:26   #124

Hi Baridbej,

Thank you for your revert. If anyone else is planning Trip from Bangalore to anywhere in Jharkhand, Orissa or West Bengal in this week can update.

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:11   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getvishal1 View Post
Thank you for your revert. If anyone else is planning Trip from Bangalore to anywhere in Jharkhand, Orissa or West Bengal in this week can update.
In case if you are looking for answers to any specific questions/queries, let me know. I recently drove to Jamshedpur from Bangalore (3rd-4th July).

Have done numerous BLR-JSR trips in the past too.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th September 2020 at 02:35. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 17th August 2020, 23:37   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
In case if you are looking for answers to any specific questions/queries, let me know. I recently drove to Jamshedpur from Bangalore (3rd-4th July).

Have done numerous BLR-JSR trips in the past too.
Hi Rahul. Which route have you take to reach Vishakapatnam, is it via Rajamudhry (via Vellore-Kavalli-Guntur) or Via the Samshabad - Vijaywada - Vishakapatnum road?
I just want to make sure that I am travelling via better roads, don't mind doing the extra KMS if the road is good for most part. Please advice.
Old 18th August 2020, 09:54   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baridbej View Post
Hi Rahul. Which route have you take to reach Vishakapatnam,
Please advice.
Hi! DO NOT use Google maps as it will take you through "shorter" route (via Tanuku) before Rajahmundry and again via Ankapalle (Vizag bypass) if you intend to travel beyond Vizag.

Here's the route that I usually take. People may have difference of opinion here (via Shamshabad) but things have changed now. You do not really need to travel an additional 150+ kms and pay a few hundred bucks more as toll charges.

Kolar-Chittoor-Naidupeta-Nellore-Vijaywada-Rajahmundry-Vishakhapatnam

Kolar to Chittoor - 4 lane but uneven
Chittoor bypass - OK (doable with rough patches here and there)
Tirupati to Naidupeta - same as before
Naidupeta to Vijaywada - excellent 4 lane
Vijaywada to Rajahmundry - Top layer is eroded completely and hence you need to be careful. No issues if it is an SUV though
Rajahmundry to Vishakhapatnam - Road is OK with diversions here and there

Cheers!
Old 11th September 2020, 01:22   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getvishal1 View Post
Please suggest if the trip can be done together so that there is company for both.
By the way, I have done Mumbai To Ranchi (via Hyderabad, Vizag, Bhubaneshwar) two days back and will share the update shortly in another forum.
Hi getvishal1,
Has your brother done the trip already? How was his experience? I know I am a bit late in commenting, but I could plan to ride from Bangalore to Kolkata on the weekend of 10th October in my RE Thunderbird 350x.

Fellow BHPians - Is there anyone else who is planning for this route during the time I have mentioned? Currently I am in Kolkata and am flying back to Bangalore on 20th Sept. Have already booked my return to Kolkata on 11th Oct by air but I may not be able to do this route by road anytime soon apart from this chance. As of now, it's just me who is riding and some company would be great . If anyone has a plan, we could ride/drive together.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th September 2020 at 02:35. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 14th September 2020, 13:26   #129
BHPian

Hello, I am also planning a road trip during the 10th October weekend. But of course, I do not have a Thunderbird .

Quote:
Fellow BHPians - Is there anyone else who is planning for this route during the time I have mentioned? Currently I am in Kolkata and am flying back to Bangalore on 20th Sept. Have already booked my return to Kolkata on 11th Oct by air but I may not be able to do this route by road anytime soon apart from this chance. As of now, it's just me who is riding and some company would be great . If anyone has a plan, we could ride/drive together.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:54   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogold View Post
Hello, I am also planning a road trip during the 10th October weekend. But of course, I do not have a Thunderbird .
Haha! What matters is the experience and not the vehicle
I have shifted my plan to 2nd October and as of now have got three other guys who have been kind enough to agree to a plan.

The decided night halts are Vijayawada and Brahmapur for a 2N/3D ride which is the preference. However, we also have a thought of planning to take it a bit slow and not stress ourselves and have a 3N/4D ride. In that case, we may end up stopping the nights at Vijayawada, Vizag and Bhubaneshwar.

Can anyone recommend places to stay in these locations which would be on/not very far from the highway and maintain a decent hygiene (especially due to COVID)?
Old 29th September 2020, 12:33   #131
BHPian

Hi, I have an urgent query. I am riding to Kolkata starting 2nd Oct. The first night's stop is at Vijayawada. I just saw in the news today that the Krishna river has flooded adjoining areas of/around Vijayawada. I enquired with the hotel guys but they don't have much information. Can anyone please help me with the exact situation there? it would be really helpful.
Alternatively, I am planning to take the Hyderabad route. Can anyone throw some light on the Hyderabad-Vizag route via Suryapet? How are the road conditions?
Old 5th January 2021, 16:19   #132

Planning to do Bengaluru - Haldia on the weekend of 23rd/24th Jan with the wife and my 2.5 year old. Any tips, suggestions welcome. Also, should I take the Hyderabad route or the Rajahmundry route as many people tend to suggest that roads are better (though longer) if we go via Hyderabad. My plan is to start around 3 am on Sat and reach Vizag by late evening on Day 0 and then do Vizag to Bhubaneshwar the next day before heading off to Haldia on the final leg. Any suggestions on that as well is welcome.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:42   #133

Planning to drive to Kolkata from Bengaluru in the first week of February. Is it possible to do it in 2 days with early starts.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos.sec View Post
Planning to drive to Kolkata from Bengaluru in the first week of February. Is it possible to do it in 2 days with early starts.
Preferably not.
It will be very strenuous, particularly if you are a single driver. I do Chennai - Kolkata regularly. Average speeds of traffic in the Eastern parts of the country are pretty slow. From Kolkata till Bhubaneswar it's quite irritating actually.
Suggest you take the first night's break at Bhubaneswar. Make an early exit the next day from BBSR and drive straight to Vijaywada for an overnight halt.
From Vijaywada to Bangalore, you wil easily cover in 10-11 hours max.

This way you and your vehicle will remain cool and happy!
Road conditions are good throughout. Be careful of the culverts on the Kharagpur - Jaleshwar concrete highway. Some expansion joints on some of the culverts are pretty nasty and potential rim benders.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 19:41   #135

Quick update. Since I did not get any opinions on my 'ambitious' plan (being a single driver), I have decided to extend the trip by another day. So here's the plan now - Day 0: Bangalore to Vijaywada; Day 1: Vijaywada to Vishakhapatnam (couldn't find anything decent after that for miles); Day 2: Vishakhapatnam to Bhubaneshwar/Puri (just in case); Day 3 - BBSR/Puri to Haldia.

Let me know if this looks comfortably feasible. TIA!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks