Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 00:55   #151
BHPian

re: Pune - Indore : Route Queries

Hello all,

I would be traveling from pune to indore in may. Please advise the best route. Slightly more kms won't matter but the roads should be good.
Old 30th March 2015, 11:03   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Hello all,

I would be traveling from pune to indore in may. Please advise the best route. Slightly more kms won't matter but the roads should be good.
There are a couple of choices here --

1. Pune - Taloja - Dombivali/Kalyan or Thane - Nashik - Dhule - Indore --- Biggest downside of this being its a little out of the way easily adding atleast 100/150 odd kms. And the horror of crossing Kalyan DOmbivali or if the thane then the horror of reachin Thane via Mumbra. But ya once on NH3 its makkhan all the way.

2. Pune - Nagar - Shirdi - Manmad - Malegaon - Dhule - Indore ---
The only downside of this route is crossing Shirdi. It would depend on what hour you reach Shirdi and the roads specifically around shirdi are bad. Shirdi - Yeola - Manmad though single lane is all good roads with traffic in and around cities. Again once you reach NH3 at Malegaon its good fun all the way upto Indore. Drive time should be around 10 hours approximately.

3. Pune - Chakan - Sangamner - Nashik - Malegaon - Dhule - Indore -- Here the biggest pain point is the Pune - Nashik road its usually crowded and a couple of bad bottle necks. I would personally avoid this, but again there a few who like this route because it avoid the single laned state highway of Shirdi - Yeola - Manmad and also the argument beign why goto Nagar which is slightly not in the direction you are headed.
It would really depend on what Time you decide to leave and when, Pune - Nashik is good as long as you are travelling off work hours and on weekends.

I have used options 1 and 2, the Mumbai route because I had to pick somebody up. Option 2 is by far the best, with good roads, way side services and cities in general. We left early morning and with a couple of long breaks took 12 hours to reach Indore. Ideally this would be a little faster than 12 hours as I was then with a Infant on board.

Make sure you have maped out where you are going in Indore, the bypass is nice ring road around the town and is best used to avoid the city traffic.
santoshr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 12:17   #153
BHPian

For me Option 2 given by SantoshR is 'The Only Option' unless you have any work in Mumbai. Dont even think of taking Option 3 in its current form.
rkhare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:22   #154
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rohit, sorry for the delayed reply.
Was out of action for quite some time and could not respond.
For my trip, here are the details....

And as for pit stops, we had breakfast at Hotel Vithal Kamath after Nagar bypass, had lunch at highway dhaba between Dhule and Sendhwa...and tea stops at Hotel Foodie after Dhamnod...and finally at MP Tourism Hotel near Dodi.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune - Indore : Route Queries-route-overview_v2.png  

Last edited by JoshMachine : 22nd April 2015 at 15:29.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:26   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
For my trip, here are the details....

And as for pit stops, we had breakfast at Hotel Vithal Kamath after Nagar bypass, had lunch at highway dhaba between Dhule and Sendhwa...and tea stops at Hotel Foodie after Dhamnod...and finally at MP Tourism Hotel near Dodi.
JoshMachine -- when did you travel, would like to get an idea of the Nagar bypass stretch. I had taken this route in December and found it awful.
Also any idea how is the stretch around Shirdi. has it improved
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:44   #156
Mik
BHPian

Part of a Delhi - Bangalore drive, I will be doing Mhow - Pune on Day 2 of the drive and will start at around 6.30 in the morning.

How does this itinerary sound.

Route 1:: Mhow (NH3)- Dhule - ChalisGaon- Aurangabad - Ahmednagar - Pune.

Route 2:: Mhow (NH3)- Malegaon-Manmad-Shirdi-Ahmednagar - Pune

I would like to avoid Nashik-Pune in late afternoon and evening.

Any thoughts?
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:26   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Part of a Delhi - Bangalore drive, I will be doing Mhow - Pune on Day 2 of the drive and will start at around 6.30 in the morning.

Any thoughts?
Take Route 2

If you start from Mhow around 6:30, by 11:00 , you will reach Malegaon, Shirdi by 1/1:30 and Pune by 5/5:30. For food suggest stop at Shirdi, plenty of eating places
Old 26th April 2015, 11:12   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
JoshMachine -- when did you travel, would like to get an idea of the Nagar bypass stretch. I had taken this route in December and found it awful.
Also any idea how is the stretch around Shirdi. has it improved
Hi...I travelled in last week of Jan.

The nagar bypass was pathetic (could see signs of road development though). Same with the Shirdi strip....road was dug up at many places and tar trucks could be seen everywhere indicating possibility of construction getting over in Feb, but not sure since I was told by locals at tea shop that this was the scene for the last 2-3 months or so.
But since I crossed the area relatively before peak times...I didn't encounter too much traffic. Hope this info helps.
Old 26th April 2015, 11:20   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post

Any thoughts?
From my exp. route 2 is better. I have posted my itinerary couple of posts above already.
Just that Malegaon - Pune is about 300 km and may take anywhere between 5-6 hrs depending on how many pit stops you take in addition to time taken to bypass Shirdi and Ahmednagar.
Old 26th April 2015, 11:34   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Hello all,

Hi Waspune, if not best but most optimal route and most preferred route is from Pune>Nagar>Shirdi>Dhule>...>Indore, as mentioned in my plan few posts above. I have mentioned cumulative kms for easy ref and also some diversions etc.
Do let me know if you need more info.
Have a good trip, beware of the searing heat in May while driving on long highway stretches specially when you cross over to M.P.
One more thing - if you are travelling with family/kids, then pls be careful about temp difference between super cool car a/c cabin and drastic hot conditions outside when u stop over for lunch or for tea etc. You could mitigate this slightly by reducing car a/c levels as you get closer to ur pit stop so that temp inside car gets "acclimatised" towards outside temp. This cannot be done fully but even if some adjustment is done then it is greatly beneficial.
Old 26th April 2015, 19:07   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Hi Waspune, if not best but most optimal route and most preferred route is from Pune>Nagar>Shirdi>Dhule>...>Indore, as mentioned in my plan few posts above.
=====
This cannot be done fully but even if some adjustment is done then it is greatly beneficial.

Thanks Joshmachine for the inputs. I would be traveling to Indore in mid May and would be traveling with wife and friends.
Old 12th May 2015, 19:31   #162
BHPian

Pune - Indore - Route Update

Started from Pune at 4:45 AM on Saturday 9th May and reached Indore around 3:15 PM with approximately 45 minutes breaks in between.
Took the Pune - Nagar bypass- Shirdi - Manmad - Dhule - Indore route.
Nagar bypass road quality has improved. Stretch of bad patch between Rahuri and Shirdi has improved. Slight bad stretch between Shirdi- Kopargaon , but manageable
Old 28th May 2015, 15:17   #163
BHPian

Hi,
I intend to do Pune-Indore-Agra-Delhi.
Shall I take the Pune - Nagar bypass- Shirdi - Manmad - Dhule - Indore route
or can I take the shorter route
Pune-Sangamner-Malegaon-Indore?
I plan on leaving at around 4 AM.
Old 28th May 2015, 15:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

The first route is the most convenient one. Pune Samgamner is not for laned after Rajgurunagar, has a bad surface, and is known for traffic snarls.

Rahul
Old 10th August 2015, 21:24   #165

Hi Friends

I am planning a trip from Pune to Bhopal in the last week of this August.
I am planning to take Pune - Nagar bypass- Shirdi - Manmad - Dhule - Indore route as suggested by JoshMachine and updated by mm403.
In case any one has any update about this route please do update.
I am planning to start by 5 PM at night.
Any clues/suggestions on a night drive on this route in this season is welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks