Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 14:40   #46
BHPian

From Mysore to Chennai - which is the most picturesque/interesting route. Any other info (hotels/sights/road-condition/time) about the other routes would help.

Starting from Kollegal

1. Chamarajnagar - Sathy - Athani - Mettur - Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Chennai
2. Tamarakarai - Thavitupalayam - Mettur - Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Chennai
3. Male Mahadeshwarabetta - Kolathur - Mettur - Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Chennai
Old 31st August 2010, 15:19   #47
Team-BHP Support

You can try : Mettur-Mecheri-Pennagaram-Hogenakkal-Achetty-Denkanikottai-Thuppuganapalli-Krishnagir-Chennai.

Do note Anchetty road is broken for almost 6-7 Km (drive on stones).

However it provides some wonderful drive experience.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:49   #48
BHPian

Is there a road from Hogenekkal - Anchety without touching Pennagaram? Not in Google maps. Does it touch Billgundala?
Old 31st August 2010, 18:11   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Is there a road from Hogenekkal - Anchety without touching Pennagaram? Not in Google maps. Does it touch Billgundala?

Yes there is a route from Hogenakkal to Anchtty without Pennagaram. But since you will be coming from Mettur, you will have to hit Pennagaram via the Mechery-Penagaram SH.

Hence from Pennagaram the route is : to Anchetty would be via Hogenakkal.
I know Google maps show a route to Anchetty bypassing Hogenakkal, but when I did this 3 weeks, I did not notice this road.

Also note that once you reach Denkanikottai you can take a route to hit the Hosur-Dharmapuri SH. Once you hit this you can travel further up to Rayakottai from where there is a route to Krishnagiri. That way you dont need to go all the way back to Hosur.

Take a look at this TL.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-anchetti.html
Old 1st September 2010, 04:53   #50
BHPian

Thanks. I did have a look at the link snaps. A few good ones in there. However, I feel I am going a little off my route. I would still be interested in getting info about the 3 possibilities I have listed. I mean, even if I have to take the route you mentioned I will have to reach Mettur from Kollegal. Which is a nice route for that?
Old 1st September 2010, 08:21   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. I did have a look at the link snaps. A few good ones in there. However, I feel I am going a little off my route. I would still be interested in getting info about the 3 possibilities I have listed. I mean, even if I have to take the route you mentioned I will have to reach Mettur from Kollegal. Which is a nice route for that?
Continue on NH209 (Kanakpura road as known in Bangalore) till Satyamangalam.
From Sathy take the TN State Highways.

Sathy-Athani-Anthiyur-Ammapetai-Mettur.

This route will also avoid Gobi.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:09   #52
BHPian

Thanks for Sathy info. But I would like more info about road conditions, terrain, shops, villages, food, rather than how to go.

Do we have details about the 3 routes? I find the 3rd - M.M. Hills might have taller peaks and might be more interesting. The second one - Tamarakarai is over the hills for a longer period though smaller hills and could be greener. The first one - unless one diverts to B.R.Hills the route to Sathy - might not have tall peaks? Any links?
Old 1st September 2010, 14:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Mysore to Chennai - which is the most picturesque/interesting route. Any other info (hotels/sights/road-condition/time) about the other routes would help.

Starting from Kollegal

Check out the following thread, which has details of both routes 2 and 3:
[url="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/71222-mettur-kollegal-via-mmhills-2.html"]

I would avoid these routes for the reason being they are deep jungle routes, infrequented, subject to permissions/timing restrictions and will be bad after the rains. And definitely not routes to be done with family.

Route 1 is OK.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:41   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for Sathy info. But I would like more info about road conditions, terrain, shops, villages, food, rather than how to go.

Do we have details about the 3 routes? I find the 3rd - M.M. Hills might have taller peaks and might be more interesting. The second one - Tamarakarai is over the hills for a longer period though smaller hills and could be greener. The first one - unless one diverts to B.R.Hills the route to Sathy - might not have tall peaks? Any links?
What I suggested is your option 1.
About food/toilets etc : Not much.

Mettur has some small places near the dam. Not sure of the town.
Mettur-Thoppur SH is very decent. Then no need to say anything about GQ.
After you turn left into GQ, there is an A2B available very close.

That is good break option. I actually forgot to mark it on my Garmin.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Starting from Kollegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Check out the following thread, which has details of both routes 2 and 3:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...mmhills-2.html

I would avoid these routes for the reason being they are deep jungle routes, infrequented, subject to permissions/timing restrictions and will be bad after the rains. And definitely not routes to be done with family.

Route 1 is OK.
My personal opinion, route 1 is boring and also the longest. Also, this route has the best roads and will have a lot of traffic (mainly trucks).

Route 2, Is this the same mentioned in the link above? This should be a narrow forest road and probably interesting (if you take an SUV)

My suggestion would be to take route 3. I am not aware of the road conditions now, but the roads on the Tamil Nadu side were very good. This road passes through the Cauvery wildlife Sanctuary and you can probably get some sightings (usually deer & elephants).
Old 1st September 2010, 19:46   #56
BHPian

For 2, one requires a SUV, correct? No hatchbacks will pass it. Just for informational purposes how many kms/hrs does one have to undergo SUV conditions?

For 3: Addy, How was the road condition then? Can a Chevy Spark do it? Modest endeavours done on Sparky = Kemmangundi, Ooty, Sholayar, Parambikulam, Attapadi.
Same as above, how many kms/hrs does one have to undergo bad/stony difficult roads?
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For 2, one requires a SUV, correct? No hatchbacks will pass it. Just for informational purposes how many kms/hrs does one have to undergo SUV conditions?

For 3: Addy, How was the road condition then? Can a Chevy Spark do it? Modest endeavours done on Sparky = Kemmangundi, Ooty, Sholayar, Parambikulam, Attapadi.
Same as above, how many kms/hrs does one have to undergo bad/stony difficult roads?
I did that route on my swift and I think the spark can handle it. If you have done Kemmangundi, you will be fine with this. The roads were more or less in the same stage as Kemmangundi road. It was rough from Kollegal till Palar border checkpost. The ghat road upto MM Hills was wide and decent. After MM hills, the road became narrow and potholed. I am not sure what the distance was. After crossing the border, the road was beautiful all the way to Mettur.
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:52   #58
BHPian

Thanks Addy. How is M.M Hills? Is the mountain populated with thick vegetation or is it sparse/shrubby/hot (non-shady)? Is it breezy? I mean - some X-factor which is worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
SH17 is Mysore Road, the main highway to Mysore from Bangalore. NH209 is the highway to Coimbatore via Chamarajnagar.
But there is the NH209 from Bangalore to Mysore too via Kanakapura/Malavalli. Is this good as well? What if I take SH17 onward from Bangalore to Mysore and NH209 on my return from Mysore to Bangalore and take right at the Sericulture R&D Institute on to the Nice ring road and to electronic city and to Hosur/Chennai.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:09   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Addy. How is M.M Hills? Is the mountain populated with thick vegetation or is it sparse/shrubby/hot (non-shady)? Is it breezy? I mean - some X-factor which is worth the effort.

But there is the NH209 from Bangalore to Mysore too via Kanakapura/Malavalli. Is this good as well? What if I take SH17 onward from Bangalore to Mysore and NH209 on my return from Mysore to Bangalore and take right at the Sericulture R&D Institute on to the Nice ring road and to electronic city and to Hosur/Chennai.
NH209 does not touch Mysore. You can connect to Mysore via various points on NH209 (Kanakpura road). But the real express way is SH17 (A 4L delicacy but with humps).
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:22   #60
BHPian

Ampere, I can see that. My simple question: How good is the NH209? I mean if I am at Gaganchukki that would be the obvious route I would take or should I make sure I am on SH17. Also Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli. How good is this?

Most Viewed