Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 18:58   #1

Leh in Oct first week ....Queries

Guys,

We 4 friends were planning a leh trip but, as it seems only time possibly we can do it is end of september...first week october.
Now my Queries are-

1) what would be the road conditions at that time, found a website "leh.nic.in" shows road conditions is it updated on daily basis?

As official time for closing is 15, 'is it doable in oct first week'

2) We are planning to hire a SUV either will be scorpio or endeavour. Have driven lot on hills but not with SUV (endeavour) that big. Although have driven SUV's all other places , it is just a itch in my mind , hope its not a problem and will be able to manage it, just wanted a confirmation, how bad are actually roads and traffic considering for example endeavour.

3) I understand that Srinagar route will be better considering snow falls at that time, but since time contraints are in place too doing both ways via manali will be ok or not.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:17   #2
BHPian

I dont know much about the route but I'm going as a marshal for the Raid-de-Himalaya. A few of the things that I have to get done for my Sx4: get steel rims with Jk Tyres or MRF tyres, underbody protection plate and most importantly - snow chains. I think the last one will be important for you. Everything else dont think you would need in an SUV.
Rally is flagging off at Shimla in the first week and ending second week October at Srinagar.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
I dont know much about the route but I'm going as a marshal for the Raid-de-Himalaya. A few of the things that I have to get done for my Sx4: get steel rims with Jk Tyres or MRF tyres, underbody protection plate and most importantly - snow chains. I think the last one will be important for you. Everything else dont think you would need in an SUV.
Rally is flagging off at Shimla in the first week and ending second week October at Srinagar.

Thats great anant , i can imagine, you will have great time.thanx for the info, well i am guessing too that during that time that area will be white and that's the reason we decided on a SUV. Actually the time schedule we are planning is to start around 27-28 th sept and return 6-7 Oct. Well this thing is tempting me to return via manali route. Lets see if conditions permit.

Does anybody knows any place to buy snow/tyre chains in delhi.

Also guys, please need help with above queries with route....please help me in making up my mind
Old 10th September 2009, 20:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

FenderBender: There is a rash of travelogues on Leh in the treavelogue section. Go through them and it shall answer most of your queries.

HVK (H V Kumar) is leaving for Leh from Mumbai on the 12th. I'm sure he shall be regularly updating the road & terrain conditions enroute. He is going via Srinagar and returning via Manali.

Keep a watch and you shall be updated real-time..
Old 11th September 2009, 14:19   #5

Thanks guys, will be glued to TBHP for updates, thanks for the help will seek help if anything else comes up.
Old 12th September 2009, 22:55   #6
BHPian

Best wishes for you trip.

One small thing to add to your required item list. Try to find some deicer windshield washer liquid. They will be very helpful if you have to drive on snow (or melting snow) in subzero temperature. Dirty water sprinkled on your windshield by other vehicles ice up very fast creating near invisibility. Normal water used as windshield washer will also freeze up, making you stop the vehicle for windshield cleaning.

Also try to keep some deicer if possible (they come both in liquid and granular form) with you.
Old 14th September 2009, 20:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
Best wishes for you trip.

One small thing to add to your required item list. Try to find some deicer windshield washer liquid. They will be very helpful if you have to drive on snow (or melting snow) in subzero temperature. Dirty water sprinkled on your windshield by other vehicles ice up very fast creating near invisibility. Normal water used as windshield washer will also freeze up, making you stop the vehicle for windshield cleaning.

Also try to keep some deicer if possible (they come both in liquid and granular form) with you.
Thanks Kishore, Thats indeed a very helpful reminder, i still remember my experience driving in snow slush, and because of this same problem emptied my washer fluid, tried for a while but couldnt had to stop and buy the fluid top it up then only was able to drive.
Old 15th September 2009, 00:46   #8
BHPian

HI FB,

There is a good enough chance that the road might be closed early this year. Already we've started seeing snowfall on the route (Leh-Manali).

Keep the option of flying out open. You've not mentioned whether you'll be hiring the cars from your place of origin or from Leh. Pls note that the Ladakh Taxi union rules will not allow you to drive a outside state passing Taxi.

Lots of Scorpios are travelling in Ladakh and you shouldnt have any problems on the regular routes.

Not too sure about the Endy's FE. You'll have to check up on that. Personally, a Scorpio or a Innova sounds like a good option.

Do let me know if you need any further info. All the best..!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks