Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 02:27   #1

Road conditions of SH in TN (Bang-Ooty-Kodai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram-Bang)

Hi All,

We are planning for a 4 day trip during the 3rd week of September.
Day 01
Bangalore - Ooty - Kodaikanal (Halt)
Day 02
Kodaikanal - Kanyakumari (Halt)
Day 03
Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram (Halt)
Day 04
Rameshwaram - Bangalore

I have been going through the posts here and am particularly impressed with Raghu's Travelogue (The King who completed part of South India). Though he need not worry about the road conditions while in "The King", he hasn't highlighted the conditions of the road during his trip.

Also I went through the routes suggested by Google map, I am very confused with the route to be taken on the second day from Kodiakanal to Kanyakumari.

Should I take the traditional Kodiakanal - Madurai - Kanyakumari (331kms) on NH7? Of late I have been reading in the posts that NH7 is not very good.

Or should i take one of the following routes suggested by Google Maps. The routes suggested here hardly touch NH7 except for the route from Tirunelveli to Kanykumari.

Route 01: Shortest 303km

Kodaikanal - Periyakulam - Vaigai Dam - Andippatti - Usilampatti - Srivilliputtur (combination of SH157/SH101/NH49) - Rajapalaiyam - Sankarankovil - Tirunelveli (SH41)- Kanyakumari (NH7)

Link to the map provided below

OR

Route 02: 335kms

Kodaikanal - Periyakulam - Vaigai Dam - Andippatti - Usilampatti - Tirumangalam - Alampatti - Paarapatti (Bypassing Madurai. A combination of SH157/SH101/NH49) - Aruppukkottai - Ettaiyapuram - Kurukkuchalai (NH45B) - Tirunelveli (SH75) - Kanyakumari (NH7)

from:kodaikanal to:9.4809964,78.0990345 to:kanyakumari - Google Maps

We will be travelling in a Logan which has already done 56000kms in one and half years.

We would like make to our destination faster and without troubles. Would anyone please suggest the best possible route from the routes mentioned above, in terms of best road quality?

Also the route back to Bangalore from Rameshwaram is wierd with touching NH7 untill Salem.

Would anyone please guide me in this regard?

Thanks & Regards
Sachin
Old 10th September 2009, 11:48   #2
BHPian

Hi sachin

I dint travel to southern part of Tamilnadu recently so cannot comment about all the places you are planning ,but being from coimbatore i know the road conditions till kodaikanal pretty well.

I hope you are pretty much aware of the road conditions till ooty from bangalore. From Ooty till mettuplayam(foothills) via coonoor roads are damn good.its hould not take more than 1 hour to reach mettupalayam.from there till coimbatore roads are not very good with heavy traffic(dont expect it like bangalore traffic but still you cant go fast).
There are 2 ways to reach coimbatore from mettupalayam(35kms to coimbatore). one is via annur(roads are peaceful, scenic and good but 25+kms longer) and the other one is via karamadai and Periya naiken palayam.

People from coimbatore usually takes 2 routes to kodaikanal
1. Via pollachi ,udumalpet(this one will be shorter if u are going from ooty)
2. Via palladam

Roads conditions are pretty same

Hope this helps
Old 11th September 2009, 10:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin131 View Post
Should I take the traditional Kodiakanal - Madurai - Kanyakumari (331kms) on NH7? Of late I have been reading in the posts that NH7 is not very good.

Or should i take one of the following routes suggested by Google Maps. The routes suggested here hardly touch NH7 except for the route from Tirunelveli to Kanykumari.

Route 01: Shortest 303km

Kodaikanal - Periyakulam - Vaigai Dam - Andippatti - Usilampatti - Srivilliputtur (combination of SH157/SH101/NH49) - Rajapalaiyam - Sankarankovil - Tirunelveli (SH41)- Kanyakumari (NH7)

OR

Route 02: 335kms

Kodaikanal - Periyakulam - Vaigai Dam - Andippatti - Usilampatti - Tirumangalam - Alampatti - Paarapatti (Bypassing Madurai. A combination of SH157/SH101/NH49) - Aruppukkottai - Ettaiyapuram - Kurukkuchalai (NH45B) - Tirunelveli (SH75) - Kanyakumari (NH7)

from:kodaikanal to:9.4809964,78.0990345 to:kanyakumari - Google Maps

We will be travelling in a Logan which has already done 56000kms in one and half years.

We would like make to our destination faster and without troubles. Would anyone please suggest the best possible route from the routes mentioned above, in terms of best road quality?

Also the route back to Bangalore from Rameshwaram is wierd with touching NH7 untill Salem.

Would anyone please guide me in this regard?

Thanks & Regards
Sachin
I would suggest to stick with NH-7 since it is in very good condition till Madurai. After Madurai, work is still in progress till Kanyakumari. I recently did a trip to Tirunelveli on this route and found no problem. Even, you can skip entering Madurai city by taking by-pass in Thirumangalam to Samayanallur. Not sure the bridge work has completed now. But, it is good.
Old 28th August 2015, 11:20   #4

Road Trip Advise Needed

Hello fellow bhp-ians

I am starting a road trip from Bangalore on 3rd September for a duration of 10 days. The trip route is BLR-Bylakuppe-Kodai-Pondi-BLR.

any advise on the accommodation, food and pit stop would be helpful.

thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 11:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road Trip Advise Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunmathur View Post
I am starting a road trip from Bangalore on 3rd September for a duration of 10 days. The trip route is BLR-Bylakuppe-Kodai-Pondi-BLR.

any advise on the accommodation, food and pit stop would be helpful.

thanks
Hi I moved your query to this old thread, which I think is closest to your needs.

BLR-Coorg: Nothing to mention: All answers here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ngalore-7.html

Coorg-Kodai: Now this is interesting!
You can do : Hunsur-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Gobi-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai

(All 2-lane roads only)

Kodai-Pondy: Kodai-Batlagundu-Dindigul-Trichy-Tindivanam-Pondy. (From Dindigul its 4-lane all the way)

As regards to stay, each place has its own set of hotels, resorts and luxury properties. Would request to see individual threads on these destinations.

Pondicherry: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...quired-96.html
Kodai: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...nkanni-10.html

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2015 at 11:43.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed