Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 09:44   #1
BANNED

New Mumbai Experiment:"3 or more in a car can take fast lane"

Hi All,
I was just wondering if this could be really implemented at Mumbai??

MUMBAI: Mumbai’s traffic police on Monday filed an affidavit before the Bombay high court, proposing the ‘High Occupancy Lane’ project as a possible solution to the city’s traffic congestion.

They have mooted demarcation of a “fast’’ lane on major arterial roads exclusively for cars that carry three or more passengers. They claim the move will encourage people to use car pools.

The trial run is proposed to be from Mahim to Haji Ali junction and Suman Nagar to Nesbit junction on the western and eastern corridors respectively. The court is scheduled to hear the arguments on Tuesday.

Source: Times of India.
?3 or more in a car can take fast lane? - Mumbai - City - NEWS - The Times of India.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Similar concept exists in the USA. They call them car pool lanes and the minimum requirement is 2 or more passengers or a hybrid like the Toyota Prius. Unfortunately they had to withdraw the minimum requirement of having a hybrid since almost everyone bought one. The rule still holds for any car with two or more people in it or for motorcycles that are permitted to ride on the free way. The car pool lanes operate at certain peak hour times of the day. BUT, a major difference is that these lanes exist on freeway's and expressway's not in the arterial roads of the city.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

In California, even major local roads(non freeways) which have 3 or more lanes get a car pool/bus lane
Old 15th September 2009, 11:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the ideal solution for India will be to allow cars/bikes with odd number plates to ply on certain days and those with even ones on certain other days. I have heard this kind of system is already in vogue in some small European states.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:14   #5
BANNED

@Gansan: This is the most silly rule there is. What happened - people just bought anther car!

What bugs me in the experiment is that a large fraction of the 'super fast CNG powered' Taxis may be eligible for the so called 'fast lane'.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:29   #6
BHPian

Does that mean that even 2-wheelers carrying 3 or more will be eligible? What about autos going at 40 kmph on the "fast" lane? And what happens if a faster car is behind a slow car on the "fast" lane, does it move to the "slow" lane and then overtake?
Old 15th September 2009, 11:37   #7
BHPian

The only thing that I see as a challenge is the design and enforcement.

On the design front, they tried a seperate lane for autos in Bangalore. This failed as it proved more dangerous at the intersections where autos would change 3 lanes to take a turn.

On the enforcement front, havnig just a lane seperator would allow all to get into this lane. Its a challenge i must say!! Lets see!
Old 15th September 2009, 12:28   #8
BHPian

Does taxi count in this? If yes, then would be fast enough?
Old 15th September 2009, 12:45   #9
BHPian

I just noticed that this thread is in the wrong section.

Mods can please move this thread to the appropriate section.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:04   #10
BHPian

I think the major cause of traffic congestion are the public transport vehicles specially the Autorickshaws on Mumbai roads...have you ever experienced a day on the road when these Auto-Taxi Unions went for a strike!!! The roads were so clear that one could drive consistently at 60+ without getting irritated on having an Autorick dragging itself in the 1st lane as if lane disciplines dont apply for them.
One can just dream of that on normal days...or maybe need to think twice before thinking of such a dream...

These autosricks remind me of a flock of black Ants..the only difference would be that ants are disciplined enough to always move in a line.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be good thought- car pooling, faster travel, et all. But practical implementation and execution remains to be seen, too many discouraging factors beginning from each individual's road discipline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
These autosricks remind me of a flock of black Ants..the only difference would be that ants are disciplined enough to always move in a line.
That's an insult to the ants I'd call them pigs rather!
Old 15th September 2009, 16:47   #12
BHPian

I think there is no need for this. In another 2 to 3 years, the Versova - Gatkoper elevated Metro will be in place. Also the mono rail around Chembur will be in place.

A lot of people , myself included, will junk the car, for the 20 mins ride from Andheri to Vikhroli. Same will be with the autos. A lot of people will use the metro instead of auto rickshaws.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sure the Metro's and Monorails will come but having a fast lane does make a lot of sense, especially on the western expressway it does.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

It will encourage car pooling but I don't know how it will be monitored here. If our cops can't keep normal cars off bus lane in Pune I doubt they credibitility in stopping cars with less than 3 people on board from a lane.
Its going to be a hard task to monitor each car and it's occupants especially with sunfilm on almost every car now days.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:25   #15
BHPian

I guess drivers here must be educated for lane driving first. Everyone here drives on top lane, specially those Vikram Betal three wheelers in Delhi-Gurgoan expressway. They hardly care for speed limit or other yelling at them by passing. They do come on flyover, its really hard to understand whether they are really moving or not. Unless Traffic police is able to put some sort of rule for them for lane driving nothing going to change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks