Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
and the all important question - WHERE TO GET GOOD VEG FOOD IN VALPARAI
Sorry for the late response narayan. the answer is the Muniyandi Vilas. You are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best is waterfall estate.

Glendale Stays - Plantation Guest House Holidays. Eco Tours & Eco Trails

Thanks to @Bigzero, who pointed me to this place! One word to describe: Fantastic!
They have tea estate Bungalows with rooms in each bungalow can be booked separately. Each bungalow has a butler. Hence it makes sense to book the whole (go there in a bigger company) place. Else potentially the other rooms can be occupied by some other family also.

Rates reasonable.
ampere, please quote rates (be specific, we are all friends here, right? ), this is not an advert or something like that, please tell us what you paid. What is reasonable for you may be too high or too low for someone else.
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

There is one Bungalow with 3 rooms (called Indraprastha) 2700 per day for 2.
Another two bungalows called "Valley view" and Tennis Court have two rooms each, with each room being priced at 1700 per day for two.

Food rates extra , 450 per day (all inclusive) per person.

I stayed at Valley view.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 06:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could have posted this in the Kerala thread, but since, it was specific to Valparai, thought it would more appropriate in this thread.

Question: While going down from Pollachi to Valparai, if one needs to goto Sholayar, he needs to take a right diversion at some point before Valparai (The place is called Rotikadai) and drive for about 20km.

Now the Valparai road leads to Chalakudi. But when I reached Sholayar dam, I also saw buses going ahead on the same road. When I asked folks around, I was told, that the same road also leads to the Kerala border. Where does this road lead to, if the Valparai SH is the road, one needs to take to Chalakudy? Is there a faster access to Chalakudy via Sholayar?
I hope am not late in addressing this. You are right in saying that while going from Pollachi you take the right at Rotikadai Jn. on your way to Sholayar. When you take this right what you do is join the Valparai - Chalakudi SH just before Malikapara. The point you join is where the Tamil Nadu Forest Checkpost is.

Am not sure if you remember you can see two roads once you reach the TN Forest Checkpost one which goes up and the other which goes down marked respectively as Valparai & Sholayar. The one marked as Valparai is the SH whcih am referring. But this SH which goes via Mudis, Stanmore etc. was in bad condition when I last visited and has been the case for quite some time.

So the common advice which people give is to take the road via Sholayar, Old Valparai and reach Valparai or onward to Rotikadai Jn. to go down to Pollachi. This road is the one which skirts around the Sholayar backwaters. While the SH actually is on the other side of the backwaters.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 07:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thanks @Srikanth. I did not drive beyond the Sholayar dam and hence did not see the checkpost.

So are you saying if one is come from Pollachi, then its better to take the Sholayar road to Chalakudy (at Rotikadai) rather than going straight through Valparai town?

How much distance does it save?
Old 4th May 2011, 09:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The best is waterfall estate.
I had been there last year and can vouch for Waterfall estate. Wonderful place, very calm, good food, friendly caretakers.
They have a Tea factory inside the estate and will offer you a guided tour. They also have tourist guides for about Rs.250/- per day.

Note:
There is no mobile coverage in the estate. You need to go out to access a PCO. But we didn't mind. After all, all we wanted to do was relax and laze around peacefully.

Some PICs of this facility from my trip last year:
Attached Thumbnails
Valparai - Stay and other info-1.jpg  

Valparai - Stay and other info-4.jpg  

Valparai - Stay and other info-5.jpg  

Valparai - Stay and other info-6.jpg  

ch.nathan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 14:26   #21
Team-BHP Support

Here are few snaps from my side.
(A preview of things which can you cover by foot around the property!)

Valparai - Stay and other info-img_1906_wm.jpg

Valparai - Stay and other info-img_1986_wm.jpg

Property from the top

Valparai - Stay and other info-img_1987_wm.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2011 at 14:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 15:20   #22
BHPian

@ Ampere & ch.nathan, Thanks for the pics. Looks really cool.

Quote:
There is one Bungalow with 3 rooms (called Indraprastha) 2700 per day for 2.
Another two bungalows called "Valley view" and Tennis Court have two rooms each, with each room being priced at 1700 per day for two.

Food rates extra , 450 per day (all inclusive) per person.

I stayed at Valley view.

These are off-season rates? How far are these bungalows located (hope all these are located in same estate)?
Old 4th May 2011, 16:06   #23
Team-BHP Support

This is I think peak season rate. I had been there April first week and that was what they charged. Also all the properties are a part of Waterfall tea estate.
This is quite sprawling (many hills!)

At many places on the SH you would see the water estate board.
There are multiple entrances and hence they provide, details on where to enter.
I think these properties are close to each (but not that close either).
Radius of 4-5 km I guess.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:53   #24
BHPian

Seems like all the tea estate bungalows & cottages are running full.

searched online and found few hotels in Valparai: Hotel Treat, JBR Lodge, Krishna Lodge.

Would be helpful, if someone who visited any of these hotels could confirm following:

- How is the location for hotel & the rooms? decent enough to take the family?
- Car parking
- AC Room availability & Rates

Any other options (other than ones listed here) also welcome. Tried all listed here, and they are running full this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th May 2011, 07:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Seems like all the tea estate bungalows & cottages are running full.

searched online and found few hotels in Valparai: Hotel Treat, JBR Lodge, Krishna Lodge.

Would be helpful, if someone who visited any of these hotels could confirm following:

- How is the location for hotel & the rooms? decent enough to take the family?
- Car parking
- AC Room availability & Rates

Any other options (other than ones listed here) also welcome. Tried all listed here, and they are running full this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
If you want to enjoy Valparai the best possible way it is to stay in one of the tea gardens. Have you tried NEPC and Woodbriar. Woodbriar has two properties with rates comparable to Waterfall Estate. Not sure if I can put up the contact details though it might help possibly more people. Nevertheless let me know in case you have not tried the above two will PM you the numbers.

Quote:
Thanks @Srikanth. I did not drive beyond the Sholayar dam and hence did not see the checkpost.

So are you saying if one is come from Pollachi, then its better to take the Sholayar road to Chalakudy (at Rotikadai) rather than going straight through Valparai town?

How much distance does it save?
You are right. If you are coming from Pollachi it is better to take the right at Rottikadai Jn. and proceed towards Sholayar or Chalakudy. You end up saving about 10 kms or so but more so in terms of good roads all the way.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 14:00   #26
BHPian

Thanks a lot Srikanth. Checked with Briar bungalows and found accomodation to be available. Booked it as well.

Change of plans.. I may also join the trip as got my leave on Monday

Planning to start from Salem on 8th Morning (Sunday).

The route i guess will be Salem-Bhavani-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Aliyar ( - its around 240 kms). How are the roads? how much time to reach there, say if we can maintain good speeds? My guess is 4 hours, Avinashi-Pollachi being SH.

Also suggest if there is any better alternative.

Plan so far, as follows:

Day1 (8th May) Aliyar Dam, Monkey falls and balaji temple. Check-in Room @ Evening.
Day2 (9th May) Need your help here to decide - Probably Top slip, Nirar or Sholayar Dam, Nallamudi Poonjolai & Number Parai (heard abt it). Return Salem.

Thanks in advance
Old 6th May 2011, 14:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Srikanth. Checked with Briar bungalows and found accomodation to be available. Booked it as well.

The route i guess will be Salem-Bhavani-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Aliyar ( - its around 240 kms). How are the roads? how much time to reach there, say if we can maintain good speeds? My guess is 4 hours, Avinashi-Pollachi being SH.

Plan so far, as follows:

Day1 (8th May) Aliyar Dam, Monkey falls and balaji temple. Check-in Room @ Evening.
Day2 (9th May) Need your help here to decide - Probably Top slip, Nirar or Sholayar Dam, Nallamudi Poonjolai & Number Parai (heard abt it). Return Salem.

Thanks in advance
I suggest you can take Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi.

4 Lane ends at Chengapalli and you have to go through the under construction road till Avanashi if you were to take this route.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 14:50   #28
Team-BHP Support

Dont take the Avinashi option. Topic has been beaten to death.

1. Its difficult crossing Avinashi
2. Difficult crossing Tirrupur.

Salem-Bhavani-Peundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Valparai

PS: When you mentioned, all resorts sold out, I assumed, you had contacted Stanmore also. Hence did not suggest. Do note that, on their site, they have mentioned there is no room service. Hence if there are infants, you will need to manage on your own.

EDIT: Note there is not much water in the dams. Dont go with high hopes. Aaliyar is decent, but I did not see much water in Sholayar. Hardly anything at Monkey falls also. You can cover Aliyar on your way up, as the dam is at the foot. So no need to spend time separately. Best way to spend time there is long walks inside tea estates!

Last edited by ampere : 6th May 2011 at 14:53.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best route would be Salem - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Aliyar Dam. You should take about 4 hours to reach Aliyar Dam. Plan for about 2 hours from Aliyar Dam to Valparai as you would possibly take breaks to enjoy the scenery.

Quote:

Plan so far, as follows:

Thanks in advance
You cannot do Topslip from Valparai as it can be accessed only from Pollachi. Monkey falls may not have enough water at this time of the year so I suggest you don't have too much expectations from there. I doubt you would be able to go to Balaji Temple before 12 PM if you start around 6 in the morning from Salem. I suggest you go straight to the bungalow, incidentally which bungalow have you booked yourself?

What you could possibly do is to speak with the manager there and organize a local taxi who knows all the places thereby saving you time. You could finish one round of sightseeing after lunch(with the exception of Sholayar Dam). Also check out with the manager on a visit to Puthuthottam estate in the morning, this would allow you to spend some time with the Lion Tailed Macaques there. Puthuthottam estate is part of the Woodbriar group this has to be done at around 7 in the morning.

Once you are done with this come back freshen up have breakfast and may be go to Sholayar Dam and leave for Salem from there. If you are fine with night driving what you could do is on your way back make a detour to Topslip take the evening safari and push off to Salem via Pollachi and the same return route.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 16:37   #30
BHPian

Thanks Rameshnanda, Ampere & srikanth. Will take perundurai route then.

Quote:
PS: When you mentioned, all resorts sold out, I assumed, you had contacted Stanmore also. Hence did not suggest. Do note that, on their site, they have mentioned there is no room service. Hence if there are infants, you will need to manage on your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
incidentally which bungalow have you booked yourself?
On my initial enquiries, Waterfall estates - filled till 31st May , Briar bungalows till 8th May Night, BBTC - no rooms.
Later got a call from Briar bungalows, and was told rooms available only at Monica Bungalow after 5 PM on 8th May (guests leaving that afternoon). Booked the rooms. 4 adults & No infants. So, shouldn't be a problem.

Its Monica Bungalow (8th Dinner to 9th lunch), quoted around 7K for 4 adults. We can check-in only after 5 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Note there is not much water in the dams. Dont go with high hopes. Aaliyar is decent, but I did not see much water in Sholayar. Hardly anything at Monkey falls also. You can cover Aliyar on your way up, as the dam is at the foot. So no need to spend time separately. Best way to spend time there is long walks inside tea estates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Plan for about 2 hours from Aliyar Dam to Valparai as you would possibly take breaks to enjoy the scenery.

You cannot do Topslip from Valparai as it can be accessed only from Pollachi. Monkey falls may not have enough water at this time of the year so I suggest you don't have too much expectations from there. I doubt you would be able to go to Balaji Temple before 12 PM if you start around 6 in the morning from Salem. I suggest you go straight to the bungalow, incidentally which bungalow have you booked yourself?

What you could possibly do is to speak with the manager there and organize a local taxi who knows all the places thereby saving you time. You could finish one round of sightseeing after lunch(with the exception of Sholayar Dam). Also check out with the manager on a visit to Puthuthottam estate in the morning, this would allow you to spend some time with the Lion Tailed Macaques there. Puthuthottam estate is part of the Woodbriar group this has to be done at around 7 in the morning.

Once you are done with this come back freshen up have breakfast and may be go to Sholayar Dam and leave for Salem from there. If you are fine with night driving what you could do is on your way back make a detour to Topslip take the evening safari and push off to Salem via Pollachi and the same return route.
Thanks for your inputs guys.

Objective is to have a relaxed trip, even if we are not able to cover many places. So, based on your inputs, framing the plan.

Day1: start @ 7 AM
Salem - Aliyar Dam (reach aliyar by 11 AM or 12 and will be leaving there by 2 or 3 PM).
Then visit few view points on the way to valparai
Chitti Vinayagar Temple
check-in probably by 6 PM.

Day2:
Morning - Puthuthottam estate, back to room for breakfast,
Balaji Temple
Nallamudi Poonjolai & Number Parai -- view points on sangiliroad.
Return Salem after lunch.

For Puthuthottam estate - what time we can start, if has to be done before 7 AM?

Topslip will have to be another trip then, don't want to try anything that will make this a hectic drive
(i'm the only driver and will have to drive back to Bangalore from Salem on same day or next day early morning)

Once again, thanks a lot guys for all the help.

EDIT: Also, please comment on decent Veg food options for Day1.
I think Pollachi would be good for breakfast, for Lunch - around Aliyar/Valparai. (strictly veg)

Last edited by nfsfreak : 6th May 2011 at 16:58.

Most Viewed